Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Solar panels and EV

8K views 57 replies 19 participants last post by  Wobblydeb 
#1 ·
Hi, I’m planning to get solar panels fitted at the same time as buying my EV.

My quote includes PV panels, battery and diverted for heating hot water. If I add a home charging station for my EV, does it matter which type with regard to charging using the solar? I would be able to charge for a couple of hours during most days, making use of the panels. When I’m night-charging, do I need an additional system (like the my energy eddi?) to allowthe extra power to be split between car and water heating? If I get an EV with a 6.6 charger, is that going to be a drain on my panels?

Any solar and EV insights or pearls of wisdom gratefully accepted! My head is swimming with lots of new facts and info, so make it simple! ;)

#58 ·
I got a very warm fuzzy feeling when I got home yesterday to a fully charged Outlander (9.3kWh) and a tank of hot water (3kWh). I know I would have been even warmer and fuzzier if I could then have cooked my dinner without grid energy too. Maybe one day! :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.