Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well based on Sheffield Universities methods and with the help of a little rounding up, one third of the UKs Electricity is coming from PV. Midday, sunny weather of course.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not much wind in the UK. A big high is in place.

They finally got round to switching off some nuclear, I bet that will cost the consumer.

That pesky had CCGT is still running😔

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Not much wind in the UK. A big high is in place.

They finally got round to switching off some nuclear, I bet that will cost the consumer.

That pesky had CCGT is still running😔
Sizewell B is down to 50% (600Mw) after the deal for it to reduce output for the whole of the Summer - Roisin clearly thinks that the effects of the pandemic will not lead to the promised V shape recovery. It is apparently a better deal than the equivalent series of daily deals, for which I read expensive rather than cripplingly so.

Gas is giving us 22% at present due to the lack of wind - it is hard to know what we could do as an alternative other than more Nuclear to cover overnight.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UK nuclear is not capable of on/off daily cycles to cover darkness hours. Would be pointless in any case.

·
Registered
889 Posts
This looks huge.... the battery is measured in acres.
News
Cleve Hill Solar Park granted development consent – 28/05/2020
Cleve Hill Solar Park is delighted to announce the decision from the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), Alok Sharma to grant consent for the UK’s largest solar scheme – Cleve Hill Solar Park, which is a joint venture project between Hive Energy Ltd. and Wirsol Energy Ltd.
We are proud to lead the way to deliver the UK’s largest solar park. Cleve Hill Solar Park offers a real solution to our urgent climate needs and showcases the potential for the UK to lead the green recovery. This is a project that will generate up to 350MW of clean renewable electricity to power over 91,000 homes, reduce the UK’s dependence on fossil fuels and lower CO2 emissions by 68,000 tonnes a year.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
And unprecedented low demand!

Gas is still running because it's all we've got to respond to any trips, drops or unexpected rises in demand. It is our grid stability at this time.
But 22% is a ridiculous amount - although I accept there is little from wind. I'm surprised that we choose to run down nuclear so much that we fill in with Gas more often.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
But 22% is a ridiculous amount - although I accept there is little from wind. I'm surprised that we choose to run down nuclear so much that we fill in with Gas more often.
But that's because the gas can follow the variation in wind production and solar. It takes a lot more effort, and cost to the grid) to keep turning nuclear up and down.

Also, 5GW approx of gas isn't really a lot. It'll be several different power stations running at low load to cover different regions of the grid.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
This looks huge.... the battery is measured in acres.
News
Cleve Hill Solar Park granted development consent – 28/05/2020
Cleve Hill Solar Park is delighted to announce the decision from the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), Alok Sharma to grant consent for the UK’s largest solar scheme – Cleve Hill Solar Park, which is a joint venture project between Hive Energy Ltd. and Wirsol Energy Ltd.
We are proud to lead the way to deliver the UK’s largest solar park. Cleve Hill Solar Park offers a real solution to our urgent climate needs and showcases the potential for the UK to lead the green recovery. This is a project that will generate up to 350MW of clean renewable electricity to power over 91,000 homes, reduce the UK’s dependence on fossil fuels and lower CO2 emissions by 68,000 tonnes a year.
350MWh. Cute.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The gain to the environment in the UK from changing from a petrol car to an electric car (of equivalent age, size, performance) using UK grid electricity is very large. I believe it's about 80% on climate change, and probably higher on pollution. (That's per mile, maybe 50%-60% if you allow for construction of the car.)

However that's in the first year, it will be higher averaged over the next 5-10 years if the UK does start to get rid of the gas.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
But that's because the gas can follow the variation in wind production and solar. It takes a lot more effort, and cost to the grid) to keep turning nuclear up and down.
Understood, but that is based on the assumption that you save more carbon by maxing renewables but infilling with the flexibility of gas, rather than limiting renewables with the baseload provided by nuclear.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Pleased about the solar plant. Annoyed looking at the news that so many people are opposing it including Greenpeace - Friends of the Earth tentatively in favour. Just looks to me like a mix of nimbyism, opposition to any and all development. We badly need this kind of thing.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Pleased about the solar plant. Annoyed looking at the news that so many people are opposing it including Greenpeace - Friends of the Earth tentatively in favour. Just looks to me like a mix of nimbyism, opposition to any and all development. We badly need this kind of thing.
Yeah I don’t know the details but seems the scale is what people object to. It’s pretty big.
The charge of industrialising the countryside is a little odd when it’s already intensively farmed. I guess that’s a way of objecting to the size of the thing.
I don’t understand why the RSPB think having a solar farm as a neighbour will damage a bird sanctuary.
The solar farm are promising hedges to hide it, less pesticides and a few sheep to replace intensively farmed monoculture. It could be window dressing but from a cursory look it doesn’t seem likely to damage the bird sanctuary.
I suspect it will ruin quite a few people’s view.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Understood, but that is based on the assumption that you save more carbon by maxing renewables but infilling with the flexibility of gas, rather than limiting renewables with the baseload provided by nuclear.
No, it's based on the assumption that neither renewables or nuclear can provide a viable and responsive spinning reserve for any emergencies.

Alternatively, you could have wind operating off grid, say hydrogen generating, that could switch on-grid rapidly with the assistance of a short term battery reserve.

But that would require a contract for a viable non-grid product and a contract for the grid battery to remain at capacity even when prices are most economical to sell.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Until you have to deal with the serious harmful shit the nuclear station puts out. No one will insure it. Its totally inflexible on the scale required. It is dangerous to the stability of the grid due to the possibility of it dropping out without notice. How many more reasons do you need. RE bothers nobody really and is clean and if it drops out it is very manageable.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts