Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Kevin do you or anyone else advise councils who are building new schools on optimising roof design for solar panels? I'm continually amazed at the amount of new builds that don't have uncluttered south facing roofs.
You should come over to MK and marvel at the local schools that have installed solar panels and wind turbines in the playing fields.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Hoa - Marvelling is one thing but it's just plain common sense for a school to do this. When I was in school Oh, SO, SO long ago one of the science masters got a class to construct their own solar hot water array and put it on the roof of the school.

If my kids' schools came to me and had a rights issue then I would be right up there with my cheque book. I'd also be saying that they should have a chat to PaveGen about some of their product

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hoa - Marvelling is one thing but it's just plain common sense for a school to do this. When I was in school Oh, SO, SO long ago one of the science masters got a class to construct their own solar hot water array and put it on the roof of the school.

If my kids' schools came to me and had a rights issue then I would be right up there with my cheque book. I'd also be saying that they should have a chat to PaveGen about some of their product
Can you not approach the board of school governors with this plan?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Funny that you should say this! My wife IS a school governor. Perhaps we should
Prob be best if you get all your ducks lined up first:
Get a couple of initial quotes so you know overall ballpark figure.
Organise a group of parents that are prepared to commit £x to cover all the installment cost.
Draft a repayment schedule based on the FIT rates so doesn't cost school any money. Set aside a reserve pot for maintenance to come out of FIT payments as well.

Once this plan is in place, it'll make it an easier decision for the governor board to give it the green light.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Take a look at the 10:10 Solar Schools scheme;

http://www.solarschools.org.uk

It attracts a lot of external funding and provides all the tools you need to run a campaign. I've been involved in two projects and they actually deliver a return for the effort :D
Does a small project such as this require another organisational layer?
Another body inserted in the middle that takes a cut of the FIT payments.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does a small project such as this require another organisational layer?
Installing solar on a school is a huge project and personally I'm happy that someone else is organising this... obviously, if you have time then get involved :)
Another body inserted in the middle that takes a cut of the FIT payments.
That's up to the School... in the projects I've been involved with, they funded the whole project and kept the FIT.

Lots more info here;

http://www.solarschools.org.uk/about/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts