Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago a few days after I received my zs I had a good look under the car. There are 4 location holes which are used to carry the cars on the line cradle until it is finished, including painting. 40mm swaged holes and have a plastic bung in each. I noticed mine as the car is red and the over spray underneath is too but each of the 4 points has had a quick spray with white paint then the plastic bungs put in. The other areas are under sealed, I pulled out the plastic bung on one hole and the paint came with it. I removed all 4 bungs and spray under sealed each point, then refitted the bungs once dry. I imagine these areas were given a quick spray right at the end of production once the car was mobile, hence missing under seal. 1st area is just behind front wheel between the seal and battery and the 2nd just in front of back wheel each about 4”sq both sides. If you got a white car you’ll have to look for the plastic bugs. I thought it was maybe just my car but I met a fellow zs ev‘er at a fast charger today and looked at his it was the same, a quick spray with a white aerosol. It must be sprayed as the plating is worn around the hole due to location pin movement and a roar punched hole edge. 20 mins to do and you don’t need to jack the car up. I’ll post a pick after I did mine don’t have a before one. Apart from this I love the car. Hope this helps everyone, I paid £6.99 for the spray under seal.

Attachments

·
Registered
968 Posts
They look like handy places to stick your Waxoyl wand in, don't they? :)

I take it you've heard of Rustgate?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes waxoyl will do, yes heard of rust gate apart from that every where else is fine.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
that's good advice. I'm still pondering having the car treated with Ceramic coating immediately and then having the underbody protected, but if as you have found it's really the four key points then maybe a full underbody treatment isn't needed (at least for now). One thing that was pointed out elsewhere is not to block the battery breather holes. I have no idea what or where they are, maybe someone else knows.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I did a few areas with surface rust on my wifes leaf with waxoyl and a brush a couple of winters ago and its all still there despite being fairly exposed on the cars underside.
I have found that traditional underseal which tends to dry 'rubbery' can sometimes not adhere perfectly and lift from the surface of the metal, trapping moisture.
Waxoyl type products are similar to candle wax when dry so dont lift or peel even if scraped or impacted. Its what I would use based on my experiences for what they're worth.;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts