Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, have a couple of questions on the leaf, could you please help me out

1) if the battery was to die when in DRIVE, would the car automatically switch to Neutral in orider to be manually pushed.
2) should the battery run down to zero, is there any buffer zone on the range ie on ICE when on red you get a few miles grace.

Many thanks in advance
Matt

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, i work for Nissan and drive a leaf tekna, the car will go into neutral just like when you turn off the ignition.

Reactions: andrew*debbie

·
Registered
616 Posts
1) My understanding is that the battery always leaves itself enough to automatically switch to neutral (can't remember whether 12v system or traction battery deals with this)
2) The range meter (Guess o meter) gives you plenty of warning, firstly at the Low battery warning (about 18%) then the very low battery warning (less than 6% I think) - then it goes blank and you have about 10 miles left - this is your warning to drop to 40 and be very gentle!! (you don't want to be on a motorway when this happens.) When you're REALLY down to the minimum, it goes into 'turtle' mode and will only let you drive at 25 mph for less than a mile (i.e enough to get you off the road)

I've been down to the Very Low situation on a couple of occasions and done a few more miles without too much of a problem, but never pushed it further than that. Usually when the low battery warning first comes on I budget 15 - 20 miles at normal (50 - 60 mph) speed, if you drop down to 40 you could probably stretch this further. So yes you do get a few miles grace but it's not a good idea unless you know you are near a guaranteed charging point and it's understood to be not very good for the battery anyway.

·
Registered
137 Posts
2) The range meter (Guess o meter) gives you plenty of warning, firstly at the Low battery warning (about 18%) then the very low battery warning (less than 6% I think) - then it goes blank and you have about 10 miles left - this is your warning to drop to 40 and be very gentle!! (you don't want to be on a motorway when this happens.) When you're REALLY down to the minimum, it goes into 'turtle' mode and will only let you drive at 25 mph for less than a mile (i.e enough to get you off the road). I've been down to the Very Low situation on a couple of occasions and done a few more miles without too much of a problem, but never pushed it further than that. Usually when the low battery warning first comes on I budget 15 - 20 miles at normal (50 - 60 mph) speed, if you drop down to 40 you could probably stretch this further. So yes you do get a few miles grace but it's not a good idea unless you know you are near a guaranteed charging point and it's understood to be not very good for the battery anyway.
I always reset the trip counter as soon as I get the Low Battery Warning (LBW) message. At that moment, we've got 4.0 kWh left in the battery (~16 miles). This helps a lot after the Guess-o-Meter switches from saying 3 miles to "---" because we've still got enough power then for about 10 more miles. When you get the Very Low Battery (VLB) warning we've only got 1.9 kWh left in the battery (~7.5 miles) and only if you are very gentle on the accelerator, because it will soon switch to turtle mode if your weakest battery cell is in danger. I've been Leafing for >3 years & never yet "turtled" i.e. run out of power (touch wood) despite driving on beyond the VLB warning message quite a few times!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts