Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, been thinking seriously about getting an ev. Not got one yet, but am trying to think ahead a bit. Didn't know anything about chargers and 'looped' supplies until I began to read this forum... I thought it was just a matter of getting a sparkie to put one in... anyway :
1) I have a 60A main fuse and one single mains cable coming into the cutout. Does the 60A fuse imply I am on a looped supply ?
2) As there is only one supply cable coming in, I assume that (..if I am looped..) then I'm on the end of the loop - so would 'unlooping' require a new mains cable into the property ? (..and digging up the 'new' concrete drive that was laid only two years ago !)
3) If a new cable has to be installed, will they move the meter/ cutout to the outside of the building ? I have heard that they will no longer install 'their' stuff inside a property..
4) Do you need to actually have an ev (either already owned or at least on order) to apply for the OLEV grant, or can you get an OLEV grant without an ev ?

Sorry it's so long, but thanks in advance.

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Stonewashed Blue, Heatpump, Ankoya Alloys.
236 Posts
It is unlikely that you are on a looped supply just because you have a 60A fuse. Normally a single cable would suggest a single feed to you, but you may be on the end of a loop but this only tends to happen in semi-detached or terraced properties. If you contact your DNO (UK Power Network/ Western Power, etc), they should be able to upgrade you to an 80A fuse (sometimes a 100A but not if it is Western Power who I am with unfortunately), for free.

They will obviously be able to see if you are looped and deal with it if necessary.

Thread here may provide some useful info:

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Stonewashed Blue, Heatpump, Ankoya Alloys.
236 Posts
OLEV grant can be applied for with car on order or purchased, as long as installation is within 4 months of car delivery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.