Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ampera Advocate
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you read this discussion between Donald and Roger, it makes you realise that some people know so much about these cars and about being an owner of one. Oh no! Just got the 'Service high voltage charging...
For others like me who just drive it and get the annual service done, it feels like we could do with some guidance on what would comprise an essential kit to have to avoid too many trips to a VX dealer.
For example, what’s Torque Pro and how useful is it? What else should an Ampera owner learn to use or have in their kit?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If you read this discussion between Donald and Roger, it makes you realise that some people know so much about these cars and about being an owner of one. Oh no! Just got the 'Service high voltage charging...
For others like me who just drive it and get the annual service done, it feels like we could do with some guidance on what would comprise an essential kit to have to avoid too many trips to a VX dealer.
For example, what’s Torque Pro and how useful is it? What else should an Ampera owner learn to use or have in their kit?
I've picked up most of what I know from this forum!

Torque Pro is an Android app (costs £3 but a cut-down free version is available) that you use in conjunction with a Bluetooth OBD dongle (£10 from Amazon/eBay). The dongle plugs into the diagnostic socket of the car. The app then links to the dongle and can interrogate the cars computers for fault codes. These codes identify what's wrong with the car. Once the issue is fixed it can also clear the fault codes.

Most dealers charge £50 for extracting/resetting fault codes. Torque and the dongle aren't Ampera specific, they can be used on any car. I've interrogated and reset faults on my dad's Ford and Mum's Citroen! Every car owner should have them, even if they take the car to the garage to fix it, as you can go pre-armed with info.

·
Premium Member
10,905 Posts
For Android I recommend the MyGreenVolt app (and Bluetooth dongle) as it gives a lot of insight into how an Ampera is working. Best to avoid watching phone screen while driving of course, but you can log data for future (Anorak) analysis 😉

·
Ampera Advocate
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've picked up most of what I know from this forum!

Torque Pro is an Android app (costs £3 but a cut-down free version is available) that you use in conjunction with a Bluetooth OBD dongle (£10 from Amazon/eBay). The dongle plugs into the diagnostic socket of the car. The app then links to the dongle and can interrogate the cars computers for fault codes. These codes identify what's wrong with the car. Once the issue is fixed it can also clear the fault codes.

Most dealers charge £50 for extracting/resetting fault codes. Torque and the dongle aren't Ampera specific, they can be used on any car. I've interrogated and reset faults on my dad's Ford and Mum's Citroen! Every car owner should have them, even if they take the car to the garage to fix it, as you can go pre-armed with info.
Any suggestions for iOS users like me please? How about ELM?

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Any suggestions for iOS users like me please? How about ELM?
I have a Viecar 4.0 dongle, replacement for cheapo Elm 327 £5 chinese-knockoff that died. This claims to have iOS support, comes recommended after browsing reviews etc of these things. iOS has Auto Doctor, also compatible are Mini OBD II (is that eye eye, eleven, or ell ell - no idea!), and OBD Fusion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts