Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Leaf 40
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Into the fourth year of my Leaf 40 and until recently it's been faultless. However, last month or so I've had some weird issues with ProPilot.

Most common one is I activate Cruise and the lane keeping wants to pull to the right, either very close to lane divider or sometimes over the line! Weird thing is it's not all the time, one stretch on M3 is repeatable so that could be some oddity with the sunlight, lane markings etc although they appear Ok to me and I drive that route daily.

But it's happening elsewhere now. I'll be booking it in for a service soon but could this be a radar issue or just a calibration problem?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,347 Posts
Have you had any work done, bumped anything?
I'd book it in for checking asap and not use steering assist meantime.

I have heard of a VW that had the front bumper replaced but the sensors were not recalibrated. The car steered itself into the path a truck and killed the occupants. Now garages are required to use trained & certified techncians to work on any vehicle with steering assist.

·
Registered
Leaf 40
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Christ :eek::eek: No work done other than two new front tyres done by Kwik Fit and month or so ago (it's a lease with service and tyres inc, I wouldn't normally go anywhere near them!) The steering wheel doesn't point straight after the two tyres were fitted which annoys me immensely but it passed an MoT last Tuesday.

I'll get it booked in and looked at.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,347 Posts
Christ :eek::eek: No work done other than two new front tyres done by Kwik Fit and month or so ago (it's a lease with service and tyres inc, I wouldn't normally go anywhere near them!) The steering wheel doesn't point straight after the two tyres were fitted which annoys me immensely but it passed an MoT last Tuesday.

I'll get it booked in and looked at.
Yes, the steering needs sorting, if the wheel is not centralised, the steering angle sensor error will confuse the propilot.

Have you checked you tyre pressures?
Kwikfit often do a free alignment check but they wouldn't adjust it unless you agreed to pay, unless they just did it and billed the leasing company. I'd take it back and tell them to redjust it so the wheel is straight. (they may have been lazy and just adjusted one track rod)

(sorry, wasn't trying to be alarmist)

·
Registered
Leaf 40
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Tyre pressures are correct. What I don't understand is what could KwikFit have done to affect the steering when all they were doing was replacing two front tyres? The steering was fine before so they should have been nowhere near the alignment? I'm loathe to go back to them if I'm honest, so I have booked into Nissan as it's almost due a service and will ask them to look at it.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,347 Posts
Was the leasing company being billed for the tyres or did you pay for them?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,347 Posts
Leasing Company (Lex)
Then if you can, find out whether they were also billed for tracking adjustment.

As I said, kwikfit usually will inspect and check the tracking FOC, hoping to find some chargeable work such as claiming the tracking is out and adjusting it, then billing Lex.

·
Registered
Leaf 40
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, thank you, will do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts