Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loving the e208 so far. Have some questions though, which I was hoping some existing owners may be able to help with:
  1. What solutions (if any) are there to get a charging window - ie to schedule the stop as well as the start of charging. Preferably without needing to buy stuff like an Ohme cable. I’m hoping @Jedlix will add support for the e208 soon…
  2. Any way to electrically fold the mirrors in when the car is on - eg to drive through a narrow gate?
  3. What solutions are they to see the current charging power in kW without having to stand outside at the charger? Tronity shows me the max power - but seemingly only after the session has completed.

·
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another:

4. Has anyone discovered a list of the possible voice commands?

Increase/decrease temperature works find - but only 0.5°C at a time. I’ve tried various combination of stuff like "increase temperature to 22°C" but none have worked so far.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,912 Posts
Doesn't it list the voice commands on the infotainment screen when you press the button for voice control? There's normally a list in the owner manual somewhere as well.

Below might have some general info as it looks like the voice commands system isn't brilliant.

·
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car shows a few suggestions (eg increase temperature) when voice control is invoked - but in other cars I’ve had (eg the i3) there were usually quite a few other commands that can also be used and which aren’t all listed.

I’ll try asking the voice system for help to see what it offers as potential commands.

Would seem odd if you can’t specify a particular temperature you want, given they’ve gone to the effort of making the climate system controllable by voice.

·
Registered
99 Posts
As I've yet to collect my e208 (hopefully sometime this week) I can't assist except that I think I'm correct in saying the button to electronically retract the mirrors is on the driver's door ledge along with those to adjust their position whilst keeping them basically in place. Others will doubtless clarify along with answers to your other questions.

Meanwhile I have a couple of queries about which I hope you can assist ME, please:

1. that push-button parking brake thingy at the front of the gear toggle (NOT the electronic handbrake further back), do you have to engage that particular device each and every time you come to a stop, eg at traffic lights, by which I mean in ADDITION to the electronic handbrake? For the life of me I don't even begin to understand why the beast has not one but two brakes for crying out loud. Totally confusing after a 'single' Zoe operation in this connection - a million times more simple.

2. when you enter the car but b e f o r e sitting down and pressing the 'Start' button, are your ears assailed by a 'greeting jingle'? A few seconds after I've opened my driver's door on the Zoe that's what happens and it drives me up the wall because (a) I don't remotely see the necessity for it and (b) being a technophobe I've never discovered a means of turning it off. Grrrrrrr! Is your e208 [incidentally, which model?] similarly 'afflicted', or not? If affirmative, how do you silence it?

Welcome to the forum and many enjoyable motoring miles in your new acquisition.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
570 Posts
Meanwhile I have a couple of queries about which I hope you can assist ME, please:

1. that push-button parking brake thingy at the front of the gear toggle (NOT the electronic handbrake further back), do you have to engage that particular device each and every time you come to a stop, eg at traffic lights, by which I mean in ADDITION to the electronic handbrake? For the life of me I don't even begin to understand why the beast has not one but two brakes for crying out loud. Totally confusing after a 'single' Zoe operation in this connection - a million times more simple.
The "P" in the gear selector stands for "PARK", not park brake. If you've ever driven an automatic car, the "P" mode effectively locks the transmission. You should not use the "P" button when driving around. You don't even have to press it when you leave the car as it will automatically set when you turn the car off.

Also, you don't have to use the electronic handbrake every time you come to a stop. Just keep your foot on the brake for a minute or so if you're at traffic lights. Also, you don't have to release the handbrake when you drive off as it will automatically release anyway.

If you're stopped on a hill, there is also "hill start assist" which basically keeps the brakes on for about 2 seconds when you take your foot off the brakes to move off to prevent the car from rolling forward or backwards..

·
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found this, haven’t experimented yet.

·
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Discovered easiest way to quickly change the climate temperature is to press voice control button and simply say “increase” or “decrease” (ie you don’t have to say the full command "increase temperature”).

Also, really liking the live data connection via Tronity and using it with ABRP Premium via CarPlay. Makes the absence of a SoC% display almost irrelevant.

Can recommend giving them both a try together, especially if you do longer trips.

Free trial referral links below ;)

Premium - A Better RoutePlanner

TRONITY Your Car. Your Data.

·
Registered
99 Posts
And DOES the car emit a 'jingle greeting' seconds after you enter but b e f o r e you sit down and press the 'Start' button? If so, have you disabled it and how did you do it? I'm keenly interested to know, please.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,912 Posts
Quick question as to behaviour of some items. If you use bluetooth music only from your phone ( no cable) when you restart the car does it carry on with the bluetooth music or switch back to the radio if you press no buttons and leave it?

Also auto wipers. Do you leave them in auto and they just work when it rains again or do you have to turn them on to auto when you think it might rain once per journey?

Corsa does neither. I'm intrigued to see if it's the same across the PSA cars or just a Vauxhall thing.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
570 Posts
And DOES the car emit a 'jingle greeting' seconds after you enter but b e f o r e you sit down and press the 'Start' button? If so, have you disabled it and how did you do it? I'm keenly interested to know, please.
On the Corsa-e, no bings, bongs or dings.

·
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm intrigued to see if it's the same across the PSA cars or just a Vauxhall thing.
I haven’t yet used Bluetooth for music - and probably am unlikely to tbh as just have the phone plugged in for charging and for CarPlay almost all of the time. But I will try and remember to test next time.

I think auto wipers stay set to auto - but will need to double check.

·
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is your e208 [incidentally, which model?] similarly 'afflicted', or not? If affirmative, how do you silence it?

Welcome to the forum and many enjoyable motoring miles in your new acquisition.
Thank you. Mine is a GT.

I’m finding that so far it seems to be far less annoying than my previous car (Kona) was. Far fewer and much less intrusive noises (if any), and no incredibly annoying reversing beeper the Kona had (yes, like an HGV!).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Glad you're enjoying your GT (I make it sound like a gin and tonic!).

After firing one dealer and retrieving my deposit (to be fair, they acted professionally but were heavily let down and inescapably 'contaminated' by under performing Peugeot Customer Care personnel, the ramifications of which may yet involve PSA UK's MD., Alison Jones) I'm anticipating picking up my beast, an Allure, via an alternative source later this week; finance sanctioned this morning.

Btw., e208ers, what does the manufacturer mean by the term "Magic Wash Cleaning System"?

Also, in Eco mode, does that mean NO HEATING AND/OR AIR-CONDITIONING AT ALL or merely reduced operation? What precisely?

Finally, I've had one response from a Corsararian but I'd now be interested to hear from Pugers (how do you like those monicas, folks?) as to whether, on opening the driver's door and before sitting in the car, your ears are assailed by a 'greeting jingle', or not? If so, have you deactivated it and how did you do so? I'm fervently hoping there's no such aural intrusion on the e208 as there is indeed on my px Renault Zoe. The sound infuriates me. I can't even begin to see the imposed need for it before you've even got as far as starting the motor. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I'll be well rid of t h a t noise.

·
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haven’t got round to the update yet… but another question… the "charging speed" display in the car and in the app - do we know if that is based on a variable efficiency or a fixed efficiency?

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
570 Posts
Haven’t got round to the update yet… but another question… the "charging speed" display in the car and in the app - do we know if that is based on a variable efficiency or a fixed efficiency?
Who knows? It's not going to be that accurate anyway. If you're on a CCS rapid then you can get the kW actual rate from the charger. If you're looking at type 2 AC charging, you'd have to know the actual range of the battery and that depends on too many different factors. If you think you can get 200 miles range and your screen says charging at 21mph, it would, in theory take about 9.5 hours from empty. For a 47kWh usable capacity battery that would mean, again in theory, that your car is charging at just under 5kW charge. Then again, if you think your range is only 160 miles then, in theory, it should take just over 7.5 hours to charge from empty. In this case the charger is supplying over 6kW. Not very accurate you see, especially if you are on your home charger which is supposed to be supplying 7kW.

·
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Who knows? It's not going to be that accurate anyway. If you're on a CCS rapid then you can get the kW actual rate from the charger.
Trouble is, quite a few CCS chargers don’t display the charging power. Sure, you can estimate a current average pretty well using the data that is provided, but far from ideal. Not to mention, even if all CCS chargers did show it, when you are sat in the car and it’s raining heavily, or you’ve walked off to get lunch, then a display on the charger isn’t too much help.

If the mph charging speed is based on a fixed efficiency figure then that would highly be preferable IMO as then you could very easily calculate the kW power from checking the app or dashboard.

Was just really wondering if anyone has noticed whether — when they know for certain the same amount of kW are being taken in by the battery (eg on a home charge point) — the mph charging speed readout tends to vary or not.

If not, then that may suggest the mph figure is derived using a fixed efficiency figure - perhaps 4mi/kWh or something like that.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
570 Posts
Trouble is, quite a few CCS chargers don’t display the charging power. Sure, you can estimate a current average pretty well using the data that is provided, but far from ideal. Not to mention, even if all CCS chargers did show it, when you are sat in the car and it’s raining heavily, or you’ve walked off to get lunch, then a display on the charger isn’t too much help.

If the mph charging speed is based on a fixed efficiency figure then that would highly be preferable IMO as then you could very easily calculate the kW power from checking the app or dashboard.

Was just really wondering if anyone has noticed whether — when they know for certain the same amount of kW are being taken in by the battery (eg on a home charge point) — the mph charging speed readout tends to vary or not.

If not, then that may suggest the mph figure is derived using a fixed efficiency figure - perhaps 4mi/kWh or something like that.
Well, when I charge at home on my 7kW PodPoint I'm actually getting about 6.2kW into the car and it always says 21mph. If I charge at my local Tesco PodPoint I'm getting nearer 7kW but it still says charging at 21mph. Personally, I don't even bother the mph figure.

If I think I need to charge, I check the SoC and if it is, say 50% and I want to charge up at home to ~90% I just calculate 40% of 47kWh (Corsa-e battery usable capacity) which would be just under 19kW and divide that by 6,2 = 3 hours I need to charge at home.

It's not ideal and I wish and hope that PSA Group eventually gets their software and app development in order and produce an update that will let you set not only start time for charging but also stop time and/or % to charge up to. Breath-holding not advised.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts