Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been planning in another thread what my next EV might be when my current lease ends next summer (as I said in that thread too, I know it's early to be planning... humour me here!), and I want to buy a 2-3 year old EV outright at that time. Current plan A is to get a 38kWh Ioniq, but the thought occurs that the 64kWh Kona might not be vastly more expensive in the used market by that point, so I should probably have it in the back of my mind as another option due to the increased range (and charging speed!) over the Ioniq.

But getting info on the spec sheet for a 2 year old version of a car is a thankless task, all the websites just point me to the specs of the 2020 model. So please can anyone with an older Kona Electric (or knowledge of them) help me out with a few questions? All these questions apply to the 64kWh only, not interested in the smaller battery in the Kona as I would rather get the Ioniq in that case. Also, all questions about trim are about the UK trim levels, which I believe were/are Premium and Premium SE.
  1. Did the early ones have app support (I think it's called 'blue link' in Hyundais?) or did that come later? If so, is it on both trim levels?
  2. I believe the Premium SE has LED headlights (and high-beam assist), whereas the Premium only has halogen headlights? If so, are the halogen headlights a noticeably different colour warmth from the LED running lights? I always think it looks cheap when cars have yellowish light from their headlights but white light from the running lights.
  3. Do both trim levels have wireless charging mats?
  4. Do both trim levels have Hyundai's latest Lane Follow Assist (LFA) system, or on the early models is it the more basic Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) only?
  5. Do both Premium and Premium SE have heated seats, or was that only on the Premium SE?
Thanks!

·
Registered
601 Posts
I only have an se, I don't have a premium to compare it to🤣 so my answers may not be quite as helpful as you'd like.
1. No
2. As you say se has led headlamps, They are very bright! Sometimes oncoming traffic flash you as they don't believe you are dipped. Can't comment on the non se.
3.se does.
4. Think this is on both cars.
5. Pretty sure the nice seats is part of the se trim only. As well as heated they are also cooled.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 5 AWD
1,068 Posts
My Kona EV 64kw Premium SE from Sept 19

1. No
2. I have the LEDs so no idea about the halogen.
3/4/5. No idea

Reactions: loggamatt

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! Ah, that's a blow on the app support. Is there another way to set the climate to pre-heat without an app? Like, something I could set up in the infotainment to tell the car to heat the cabin up at 7am on weekdays? I've found that to be a very nice feature of my current e-Golf for winter commutes to work. Quite a luxury to be able to unplug my car, get in, and go while my neighbours are all out still scraping ice off their windscreens!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yes the car has a set of timers for independently controlling both climate and charging.
The climate timer allows you to set 2 departure times a day independently for each day of the week. I think it only works if the car is plugged in though.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes the car has a set of timers for independently controlling both climate and charging.
The climate timer allows you to set 2 departure times a day independently for each day of the week. I think it only works if the car is plugged in though.
Oh well that's not so bad then... that's the main thing for me anyway, the no more scraping ice feature! :D

Sounds like I would be looking for a Premium SE then, as the Premium misses too many features for my liking. Wouldn't want to miss out on heated seats on an EV, as they're useful on cold days if you want to turn the climate off to extend range. Plus I think I'd like the LED lights better.

Not sure they'll be cheap enough for me on the used market within the next 9-12 months though, so the Ioniq is still plan A. But I will keep Kona Premium SEs in mind!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Premium vs Premium SE:
  • leather seats in Premium SE / fabric seats in Premium
  • heated and ventilated seats with electric adjustments in Premium SE / manual control in Premium (only lumbar support is elec)
  • HUD in Premium SE only
  • HSA in both
  • LFA, LKA in both (also all other features: rear cross-trafic radar, reversing camera, blind spot, SCC, etc)
  • auto-folding wing mirrors with welcome function in both
  • same infotainment in both (screen, sound, NAV, etc)
  • LED & self leveling lights in Premium SE (useful for trips to continent) / standard halogen in Premium
  • HBA in both
  • heated steering wheel in Premium SE

No app support. Preheating can be scheduled in the car but only if the car is plugged-in. I don't use that function (too much hassle to unplug and coil the cable every morning). But heating is VERY (!) quick. It hardly takes 90 sec to defrost the car (no scraping or spaying with de-icer).

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
If it works, this is the spec sheet from spring 2019, so MY2019:
(I always save these things in case there is dispute and 'they' have moved the goalposts.)

You may need to download it (not sure if that is browser or website driven).
You will probably need to use a lot of +zoom!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, that's what I needed to know! And I'm relieved to see that they provide a 'digital clock' with all trim levels (isn't it funny that manufacturers still list these things!) :D

·
Registered
Kona 64
756 Posts
I've been planning in another thread what my next EV might be when my current lease ends next summer (as I said in that thread too, I know it's early to be planning... humour me here!), and I want to buy a 2-3 year old EV outright at that time. Current plan A is to get a 38kWh Ioniq, but the thought occurs that the 64kWh Kona might not be vastly more expensive in the used market by that point, so I should probably have it in the back of my mind as another option due to the increased range (and charging speed!) over the Ioniq.

But getting info on the spec sheet for a 2 year old version of a car is a thankless task, all the websites just point me to the specs of the 2020 model. So please can anyone with an older Kona Electric (or knowledge of them) help me out with a few questions? All these questions apply to the 64kWh only, not interested in the smaller battery in the Kona as I would rather get the Ioniq in that case. Also, all questions about trim are about the UK trim levels, which I believe were/are Premium and Premium SE.
  1. Did the early ones have app support (I think it's called 'blue link' in Hyundais?) or did that come later? If so, is it on both trim levels?
  2. I believe the Premium SE has LED headlights (and high-beam assist), whereas the Premium only has halogen headlights? If so, are the halogen headlights a noticeably different colour warmth from the LED running lights? I always think it looks cheap when cars have yellowish light from their headlights but white light from the running lights.
  3. Do both trim levels have wireless charging mats?
  4. Do both trim levels have Hyundai's latest Lane Follow Assist (LFA) system, or on the early models is it the more basic Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) only?
  5. Do both Premium and Premium SE have heated seats, or was that only on the Premium SE?
Thanks!
I have a September 18 top of the range Premium SE 64
1. No blue link till this year. I would say its a pointless unless you like gadgets, everything is just fine without it. Some rave over it.
2. LED headlamps excellent and no need to convert driving abroad as the beam is flat. But still get flashed. The car also has follow you round the corner lights which are inferior halogen.
3. Mine has the charging mat.
4 mine has LFA which on the Premium SE that was standard from day one
5 mine has heated/cooled seats front seats. 2020 models also have heated rear seats Also has heated steering wheel.

I have the 2018 model brochure as a PDF which speakev does not seem to support.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a September 18 top of the range Premium SE 64
1. No blue link till this year. I would say its a pointless unless you like gadgets, everything is just fine without it. Some rave over it.
2. LED headlamps excellent and no need to convert driving abroad as the beam is flat. But still get flashed. The car also has follow you round the corner lights which are inferior halogen.
3. Mine has the charging mat.
4 mine has LFA which on the Premium SE that was standard from day one
5 mine has heated/cooled seats front seats. 2020 models also have heated rear seats Also has heated steering wheel.

I have the 2018 model brochure as a PDF which speakev does not seem to support.
Thanks for the info, that's great! When you say you still get flashed, do you mean because the high beam assist doesn't dip the lights reliably or in time, or just because the LEDs are so bright that even dipped they annoy other drivers?

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 5 AWD
1,068 Posts
Never been flashed (by another vehicle!) with my LEDs.

·
Registered
Kona 64
756 Posts
Thanks for the info, that's great! When you say you still get flashed, do you mean because the high beam assist doesn't dip the lights reliably or in time, or just because the LEDs are so bright that even dipped they annoy other drivers?
Its just the brightness and whiteness of the LED’s. The auto dip is excellent, always dips in time and auto dips in well lit areas. I have a theory that most of the drivers who flash me probably have cataracts! Not many cars flash me so its them not me. Probably have’nt had an eye test in years if ever. Having had cataract surgery myself and being married to an optician I feel qualified to comment.
A quick return flash of high beam shows them their error.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
I got flashed quite a bit in my 2019 when I first had it. I could see the beams were a little high both on dip and main. Certainly higher than other cars I've had/have. Not high enough to hit other drivers on the level and smooth but any undulation would 'flash' them.
So I dropped them down a little (I think I wrote the process up somewhere on here) and haven't had any flashing from opposing traffic since. They also light up less tree and more road on main beam.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts