Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very distressing experience - today I left car at Asda in Watford to charge while shopping and came back to demolished cable .I was so shocked and felt devastated .

I parked near the charger(only space available at the time ) and very carefully put the cable on the top of the white line so no one catches or drives onto . The rest of the cable was just in front of my car and behind trolley park so no bother to anyone . Put the padlock on the handle at the car side . Not sure if someone tried to steal it or was just plain malicious . Plastic part that goes into charging point was still inside ,lights on the point were red . Of course no help from Asda " sorry we don't have CCTV covering that part " Pointless reporting to police . ...Anyone knows if I should try and fix this cable somewhere ?
IMG_4089.JPG

·
Super Moderator
11,704 Posts
My worst nightmare.

You should let CM know about the vandalism so they can take the post off line until it is repaired.

The cable might be repairable but would need some one with the correct crimp tools to put a new connector on it.

Usually those sorts of connectors need a special purpose crimp tool for the pins.

No idea if anyone in the UK even has the tooling.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
That's horrible. :( What kind of idiot does that?!

And EVERY time something has happened in a car park I can recall (car damaged, accident, theft) there seems to NEVER be CCTV "covering that area".

Either they're all just too lazy to bother, or really a supermarket car park is a lawless land where you can do what you like with no chance of being caught. :(

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My worst nightmare.

You should let CM know about the vandalism so they can take the post off line until it is repaired.

The cable might be repairable but would need some one with the correct crimp tools to put a new connector on it.

Usually those sorts of connectors need a special purpose crimp tool for the pins.

No idea if anyone in the UK even has the tooling.
It was my nightmare that came true . I will be installing CCTV inside the car .

Charging point is fine -once I swiped my card and removed what's left of my cable ,flap closed and it was back to blue lights .

I did inform them ,just in case ....

I may take a trip to Nissan garage ,see if anyone there can have a go at fixing it ...

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,683 Posts
Sorry to hear about this sort of thing makes you think what selfish idiots there are, jealous maybe? Pity you cannot prove if someone drove over cable or if purposely pulled at post.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's horrible. :( What kind of idiot does that?!

And EVERY time something has happened in a car park I can recall (car damaged, accident, theft) there seems to NEVER be CCTV "covering that area".

Either they're all just too lazy to bother, or really a supermarket car park is a lawless land where you can do what you like with no chance of being caught. :(

Idiot is too mild -I don't want to swear here ,but think of the worst words !!!

You are right - it is a lawless land -any commercial place with a car park will not be investing money -to busy giving bonuses to each other . I will be contacting Asda head office -I found that sadly,talking to the security guards or CS people almost never yield any results (and perhaps I may waste time contacting them as well )

·
Registered
216 Posts
Looking at the angle of the silver Vauxhall, is it possible that it was driven over your cable, yanking it from the charge point? I can't see human force alone being able to rip the connector apart.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Firstly, report it to the Police. They won't be able to do anything about it, but it goes into the stats. If you don't report it, then it didn't happen.
Secondly, as PTM says, could it have been another car? Are there scruff marks on the cable? Vandalism is stupid, but that's a potential Darwin award winner right there.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to hear about this sort of thing makes you think what selfish idiots there are, jealous maybe? Pity you cannot prove if someone drove over cable or if purposely pulled at post.
Maybe it is what PTM101 said ...But no way to prove it or be 100% sure . I do agree that perhaps human force alone would not be enough . In a way it makes me feel better if it was an accident rather then premeditated vandalism .

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did once watch a driver repeatedly reverse into a metal bollard at Tesco. And another drive completely over a stone one in Leighton Buzzard so they got trapped on it... So anything is possible I guess!?
Oh my !! Looks like with all your help we are nearing to the verdict of who's done it .

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Ohh that's a shame :(

I think it looks more like someone just drove over the cable without knowing it was there than necessarily intentional damage. I guess it could have been someone tripping over if they were loading stuff in the back of their car? But then if expect them to fall down before te plug broke.

Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
If you're careful with how you approach ASDA, I'd follow this as an 'elf and safety conversation. Trip hazard, high power AC, risk to public & property. Underplay the first part and overplay the risk mitigation steps: the need for properly marked EV bays, and where EV bays are in amongst it like this, bollards to create a safe place to run cables and stop people driving though, fix warning sign to bollard - trip hazard etc.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts