Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I parked up for a charge expecting to pop back within about 30 mins to move the car... long story but I was blocking the charger for a LONG time, guilty as charged guv.

However, I apparently wasn't.

As I returned to a disconnected car, charger sat in its bay, LEAF charge point all neatly closed up.

I have no objection to this at all, but how can someone else end my charge? Or can they only do that at 100%? What's to stop people just "nudging" charging cars out of the way?

Spooked me a bit.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Once the charge is finished then the lock on the plug disengages and it can then be unplugged.

Could that be what happened?

I have no problem with anyone unplugging me if my charge has finished providing they are careful... But that is the problem... these plus can be difficult and it is possible to damage the socket on the car if not careful.

So, should we touch other people's cars? Even if we are in a hurry? It could be considered criminal damage if something is broken.

It, is an interesting question.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
That is strange even if mine hits 100% it's still locked as the cable is locked in the nose of my car, it locks in to the leaf right?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Oh that's not good someone could damage it taking it out of your car. I pulled up at IKEA and when the leaf stops charging I could charge mine but I did not take there cable out. If i walked back and found someone touching my car I would be very angry

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
several times now I have had a rapid charger stop randomly after only putting in a few %. I don't leave the car until I hear the tell-tale brrrip & high pitch squeal.

did someone disconnect your car to charge theirs? Or was it just a random passer by?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yes - once charging is done the plug can be removed.

Given the scarce resource (rapid charging) and frankly the near impossibility of getting in and out of ikea within 30 minutes I think on balance it is perfectly reasonable to expect someone else to remove the connector to charge their car.

I agree with the concern over removal/damage but in this new area I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect anything else.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Oh that's not good someone could damage it taking it out of your car. I pulled up at IKEA and when the leaf stops charging I could charge mine but I did not take there cable out. If i walked back and found someone touching my car I would be very angry
Thats the whole idea when cars charged you can disconect and start a new charge great idea you don't have a car hoging the point otherwise if someones gone for some time then that would not be economical use of the equipment, as long as someone takes reasonable care and it wold not be Criminal if it was another car user as the charger does not stay locked when finished. Come on theres bigger things in world to worry about get a charge.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I don't know as I wasn't there, the car had reached 100% so as I say I don't really mind. Be nice if they had left a note or something.
I know what you mean. They could have at least left a smiley post it on your rapid flap!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Given the scarce resource (rapid charging) and frankly the near impossibility of getting in and out of ikea within 30 minutes
IMO No one should leave their car when charging at a rapid charger if they can't guarantee to be back to unplug and move the car when it it finished charging. Especially at Ikea when it is pretty guaranteed you will be much more than 30 mins.

Charge first, stay with the car until it is finished, unplug, move to another parking space to free up the charger (important) for someone else THEN go into Ikea. To go in with the car still plugged in and blocking the space is not much worse than an ICE blocking the space only we should know better... and we would all be cross at that.

Come on guys... have some respect for your fellow EV driver... don't block rapid charging spaces. If you can't get back to unplug and move the car when it has finished charging then stay with the car.

If I turned up at a rapid charger and it was blocked by an EV that had finished its charge and the owner was not around I would be very cross indeed and so we all should be. That is totally unacceptable when we all moan at ICEs doing it.

This is exactly why rapid chargers should not be in retail locations. The bays just get blocked by ICEs or EVs that have finished charging and the owners are still shopping/watching film, eating in restaurant etc. Fast charging is appropriate there not rapid.

Charge first, clear the bay, THEN go enjoy yourself! Simples!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Charge first, stay with the car until it is finished, unplug, move to another parking space to free up the charger (important) for someone else THEN go into Ikea. To go in with the car still plugged in and blocking the space is not much worse than an ICE blocking the space only we should know better... and we would all be cross at that.

Come on guys... have some respect for your fellow EV driver... don't block rapid charging spaces. If you can't get back to unplug and move the car when it has finished charging then stay with the car...

Charge first, clear the bay, THEN go enjoy yourself! Simples!
Being blunt I think that's ridiculous, I'm not going to sit and charge for 30-40 minutes in addition to what I plan to do!

However the fact you can be unplugged and someone can then happily charge away negates the problem almost completely and makes sense to me. Just be good to let everyone know this can be done, seems a great solution to me.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
So if someone pulls the plug out and drops it on your car and damages your paint work? I know I don't trust anyone to admit it if they did, anyway a side from all that I don't have to worry about that as they can't take it out of my car, and I never stay longer than 30min unless I'm needing a 99% charge, but I sit in the car most of the time.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Being blunt I think that's ridiculous, I'm not going to sit and charge for 30-40 minutes in addition to what I plan to do!

However the fact you can be unplugged and someone can then happily charge away negates the problem almost completely and makes sense to me. Just be good to let everyone know this can be done, seems a great solution to me.
I can't believe you said that Paul.

Well, in that case, I don't think you can complain at ICEing. If you are willing to block the bay for other EV uses then that surely follows you are happy for ICEs to block the bay too. There is no difference except that you should know better and they might not understand. At least they have a possible excuse... you don't... except that you are too lazy to clear the bay for others.

What if the other bay is ICEd? Unplugging is not an option and in any case... I am not sure we should be touching other peoples cars for the reasons discussed.

Charge, clear the bay, shop. That is perfectly reasonable. Or, park somewhere else, shop, move to charging bay and charge, drive. They are the only two options that have respect for other EV drivers.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not blocking anything. There are two EV spaces for each rapid charger. Each rapid charger can charge only one car at a time. When I'm fully charged a second car can disconnect me and charge...

The only flaw I see is it isn't clear you can do this, perhaps a simple traffic light system would sort that.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I'm not blocking anything. There are two EV spaces for each rapid charger.
I see. So you are assuming that the other bay isn't ICEd? That is a bit of an assumption isn't it?

Also, most people will not touch other people's cars... or at least not want to. It is your car... it is your responsibility to clear the bay for others to use it.

I urge everyone that uses rapid chargers... don't leave your car plugged in and not charging. Of course we can leave it if you know you will be back before the charge ends but it is not a parking space... it is a charging bay... don't block the bay for others.

Out of respect for other EV drivers we should always try not to occupy a charging bay while not charging but on fast chargers that is not reasonable IMO. If this was a fast charger then I can see the logic because they are intended for being used for hours at a time.

Rapid charging bays are not parking bays.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Paul do you really sit in your car for 30/40min?
If there is nothing else to do yes... email/twitter etc, listen to book etc. If there is something I can do inside the time I know the car will finish charging, which is usually under 30 mins, then I will go off to get a coffee etc, but I will always try to get back before it finishes in case someone else needs it. To do anything else is just selfish IMO. Sorry Paul but that is how I see it :)

Rapid chargers are used by people on long trips. If I was on a trip and needed a charge to continue on my way and I was blocked for more than 5 or 10 mins by an EV that wasn't charging I would not be too impressed.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts