Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I plugged my i3s into a local free charge point at 0810, car reported it’d be 100% by 0940.

Due to work calls I didn’t make it back to the charge point (50kw) until 1000.
Now I know it’s bad form but it couldn’t be helped.

the car cannot normally be disconnected from a charger until I swipe my card and unlock my vehicle.

so what happened?

is it likely another user hit the emergency stop unplugged me and topped themselves up?

they weren’t around and the charger was free with the D.C. cable back in its holster.

A few taxis use the charger my moneys on one of those.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,583 Posts
so what happened?
Well, to begin with, it sounds like you misunderstood the intended purpose of a rapid charger. What time were you originally planning on returning to your car?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Such drama. I was only asking because it was my belief that the car could not be disconnected from the charger without me stopping the charge by presenting my card. You live and learn.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
276 Posts
Not sure about the BMW but the Kia e-Niro will always unlock the connector on a DC charger once the charge is complete.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If it was a DC charger some cars will auto unlock once the charge has finished. This is perfectly fine because DC cables are connected to the charger. AC will not do this even at 100% until your car is unlocked to avoid your cable being stolen

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the information. First fast charger use his lockdown lifted. In my local sports centre they closed the car park down in lock down. The rapid charger was in the closed area but they left one 7kw charger accessible.

it’s free so who’s complaining :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes. I was 20 mins late in a public charger in a remote charger that is 2 mins from my house. I guess had I checked my app it may have 100% charged earlier than 0940 but I was dragged into crapola at work.

there were two sides to the charger and another D.C. cable which also adds to the issue.The cables are ridiculously short so it might even have been a physical rather than a charge capacity issue.

·
Registered
923 Posts
But why was it necessary to charge to 100%, taking 90 mins, when to charge to 80% would likely take 30 mins?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m just stating what the app said. I’ve no complaints about a 1.5 hour charge. To 100%

I’m sure I’ll try and be more vigilant when I charge up for free again next week.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This must be a wind up. Charger3106 is showing the opinion often found at free to use chargers from people living or working within walking distance.
It’s going to get much worse. Any guesses on when we will see first death at a charger over what some one thinks is acceptable and another person thinks is out of order.

Last year needed charge at a free Aldi charger two hundred miles from home. Person in front of me plugged in with 75% showing on screen returned two hours latter changed cloths and off out. I now avoid anything on free vending to ensure I don’t end up with a criminal record.

I have often asked why people are so selfish,still waiting for an explanation.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh dear this place. To yet further explain on this site there are four charge points. Three lower and one rapid. I utilised one side of the rapid for 20 mins over and admitted in my op that it was bad form yet unavoidable. On return there was not on car connection yes to any charger 7kw, 22kw, 42kw or 50kw. I’ll post no more on the matter.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Oh dear this place. To yet further explain on this site there are four charge points. Three lower and one rapid. I utilised one side of the rapid for 20 mins over and admitted in my op that it was bad form yet unavoidable. On return there was not on car connection yes to any charger 7kw, 22kw, 42kw or 50kw. I’ll post no more on the matter.
It bl**dy well was avoidable! You weren't 20 minutes over. You were 80 minutes over.

Saying that no-one else was charging when you got back, is irrelevant. Obviously it sounds like someone needed a rapid charge during the hours you were away. That they were able to come & go without you seeing them should show you that it is not reasonable to tie such resources up for hours.

That you live two minutes away seems particularly bad, in view of you mentioning on another thread that you have home charging. You just don't want to pay anything, and would rather inconvenience travellers miles from home for your free (actually tax payer funded) charging.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was not an hour over. My car wasn’t due to fully charge until 0940. I was twenty mins over I arrived back at 1000.
In Scotland we have lots of free charging I see no issues in utilising them.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts