Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had occasion to go under the boot floor yesterday only to find that my charger and tyre inflator kit were missing... I've since turned the garage upside down but not come across the missing items. So, I can only assume they've nicked - it's quite annoying.

I have to admit to forgetting to lock the car now and again, but I'm surprised that it's only these two items that have gone. Stuff in the glovebox and armrest remains untouched ...having said that I don't know when the items were taken as I haven't been under the boot floor for for some time.

As I can't remember when I last used the charger, I'm not convinced that I need to replace it. I've just ordered a tyre inflator kit from eBay just in case - but again, I never used the one that came with the car in the first place...

Onwards and upwards...

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,733 Posts
2 questions (maybe 1 is obvious)
1 - It definitely had them when you bought the car?
2 - Has it been into any garage for a battery replacement?

·
Registered
2015 BMW i3 REx 60ah, Solar Orange
126 Posts
Seems unlikely that they've been stolen. They'll probably turn up. In the meantime, replace them and remember to lock your car! (y)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had the car since late 2015 and the charger was in the car, as I used it until the wall socket was fitted - and a couple of years later when the wall socket was replaced (Rolec). As for a garage replacing the battery - I did that myself a couple? of years ago ...so, it remains a mystery (I hope they do turn up) - and yes, I will remember to lock the car (I do normally remember).
...so, is the theft of these chargers a common occurrence - after all, they cost a fair amount to replace...

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,733 Posts
The first one I have heard of. I must have been someone with knowledge of an Ampera/Volt to know where it is stored and how to lift the boot floor to get to it. A downside is that it can be used with a lot more vehicles than an Ampera or a Volt, anything with a type 1 socket so it might turn up on eBay or Gumtree.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...maybe stolen to order... I'll keep and eye on eBay and Gumtree - only problem is, I don't know how long it's been missing, so may have already been listed and sold.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
...maybe stolen to order... I'll keep and eye on eBay and Gumtree - only problem is, I don't know how long it's been missing, so may have already been listed and sold.
If "stolen to order" there'd be no need for thief to advertise them.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Doesn't the Ampera lock pretty quickly if you walk away from it? Mine sometimes locks itself between opening the passenger door and then walking around to the drivers door to find it locks itself just as I get there...

·
Premium Member
Electron Summit White NK13...110k 92.7 and rising
248 Posts
Well, I had occasion to go under the boot floor yesterday only to find that my charger and tyre inflator kit were missing... I've since turned the garage upside down but not come across the missing items. So, I can only assume they've nicked - it's quite annoying.
Now if that was me - being in my 7th decade - I would naturally assume that it was me and I'd forgotten where I'd left them o_O

Doesn't the Ampera lock pretty quickly if you walk away from it? Mine sometimes locks itself between opening the passenger door and then walking around to the drivers door to find it locks itself just as I get there...
Only if passive door lock is enabled the Vehicle Personalisation Options.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yes Dom, mine does, too quickly sometimes.

So I wonder how it is so often unlocked when I go out to it - maybe once or twice a week. Always thought it odd but it's insured... :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just been telling my son - he lives in the US and owns a Volt. He pointed me at an article stating that Tesla owners are being targeted with cable theft. It says that the high resale vale of the cables was to blame.

And like Spindrift I too have entered my 7th decade so did immediately think 'now where've I put the charger'...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts