Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jumped in with both feet into the EV market, and have imported a Mitsubishi Minicab iMiev from Japan - and it has just arrived.
From my research, I was hoping I could alter the speedo to show MPH with the button on the odometer, unfortunately not.
I have read it is possible deep in the menus.
Would anyone know if an OBD scanner would change this -if so which one,
Or
As an alternative I could make do with an OBD2 speedo - does anyone have experience of these, as a lot state petrol/diesel only?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have no idea... but feel free to divulge some more info on the little beast!

How about running an app based speedo on a phone?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi - it has to be non GPS, the most obvious way being OBD2 which relays all the info from the ECU, but a lot I've looked at state only for petrol or diesel.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,098 Posts
Welcome!

OBD2 speedos work with most EVs but @DBMandrake may be able to confirm for the Triplets.

I wonder what the range will be like with only 16kWh (assuming you bought the bigger battery model - 10kWh must be frightening :eek: )?

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Jumped in with both feet into the EV market, and have imported a Mitsubishi Minicab iMiev from Japan - and it has just arrived.
From my research, I was hoping I could alter the speedo to show MPH with the button on the odometer, unfortunately not.
Or
As an alternative I could make do with an OBD2 speedo - does anyone have experience of these, as a lot state petrol/diesel only?

View attachment 143793
Best English language forum for these is the Aussie AEVA forum.

Probable best to find a Mitsi dealer with a MUT and go play.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Or

View attachment 143793
Speak to the CANION developer: they have decoded the CANBUS data to display speed already.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
A speedo converter is usually the only option on a JDM-only vehicle. Makes the odometer start counting miles too. The OBDII is likely to be JOBD and can be read with an app like Torque with some tweaking. But a plug-in OBD device might struggle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome!

OBD2 speedos work with most EVs but @DBMandrake may be able to confirm for the Triplets.

I wonder what the range will be like with only 16kWh (assuming you bought the bigger battery model - 10kWh must be frightening :eek: )?
Thanks - I'll message them,
The 16kw is supposed to be 150km (90 miles), and the 10.5kw 100km (60 miles)
However the 10.5 is supposed to have very little degradation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Best English language forum for these is the Aussie AEVA forum.

Probable best to find a Mitsi dealer with a MUT and go play.
Thanks - I've joined the Aussie forum, and posted the question.
I can't get to a Mitsu dealer as I won't be able to use it until I get it registered, and to register it it must display MPH - chicken and egg!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A speedo converter is usually the only option on a JDM-only vehicle. Makes the odometer start counting miles too. The OBDII is likely to be JOBD and can be read with an app like Torque with some tweaking. But a plug-in OBD device might struggle.
Thanks - I did try to connect an OBD2 to connect to canion, it signalled it was connected, but I couldn't connect, or to torque.
Bummer!!
A hard wired converter would have to say MPH on the digital display, but along with reading in MPH it also has to have the ability to read in KMH - or so I'm led to believe for the test.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Welcome!

Sorry, but I have no specific knowledge of the Minicab version of the i-Miev, (apart from knowing it exists) nor about potential Japanese domestic market programming variations from the EU version of the car we see here in the UK.

The EU/UK version of the triplets allows the spedometer to be switched between mph and km/hr by pressing the button (from memory a long press on one of the screens) however the recorded mileage stays in the "native" unit of the car, only the speedo changes units.

As noted Canion can show the speed and mileage of the car in both units, (and the native format of the car at a canbus level is actually km, so it's the instrument cluster that converts to miles) so the Canbus PID's that contain this info is known - however it is unlikely to be generic well known OBD2 PID's - most EV's do not have any standard PID's that you will find on an ICE vehicle - all the generic OBD2 software I've tried which does not have explicit support for EV's finds no recognised PID's on the triplets.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Thanks - I did try to connect an OBD2 to connect to canion, it signalled it was connected, but I couldn't connect, or to torque.
Bummer!!
A hard wired converter would have to say MPH on the digital display, but along with reading in MPH it also has to have the ability to read in KMH - or so I'm led to believe for the test.
CANION is extremely fussy about which OBDII dongle will work.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
OBDLink LX recommended for Canion. Keep in mind the OBDLink LX is Android and Windows only, no iOS support. (But Canion is an Android only app anyway!)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Car Scanner ELM OBD2 has very extensive Mitsubishi i-Miev profile, and can display speed in MPH and kmh, if speed signal is provided through obd2 port.

It can even decode Japanese > English display interface in Nissan Leaf.

Car Scanner runs on iOS and Android

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Just multiply readings by 5 and divide by 8, and leave it alone IIWY. We all do the opposite when we go abroad, don't we? :)

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Car Scanner ELM OBD2 has very extensive Mitsubishi i-Miev profile, and can display speed in MPH and kmh, if speed signal is provided through obd2 port.

It can even decode Japanese > English display interface in Nissan Leaf.

Car Scanner runs on iOS and Android
I don't have an Ion anymore but I downloaded the Android version of that app to try on my Leaf with my OBDLink LX and it worked - it can read and clear fault codes for all (?) the ECU's, and report some basic data like cell voltages, but there's not a lot of data beyond that for the Leaf. (Although it does say that the Leaf profile is experimental and has limited data at the moment)

So seems like a useful app. The Android version supports both Bluetooth 3 adaptors like mine, and BLE 4.0. I suspect the iOS version will only support BLE 4.0.

·
Journeyman Human
520 Posts
Not sure this is exactly the right kit, but a similar overlay is a simple and inexpensive solution :)

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Not sure this is exactly the right kit, but a similar overlay is a simple and inexpensive solution :)

The i-Miev has a digital speedometer so I would assume this does too - so overlays are not much use. :)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The IVA requirement is only for the speedo to read accurately in MPH.
That is for 'Normal IVA'. I would check to see if your car is going to be subject to that, or to 'Basic IVA' which is less thorough, and in the past at least, didn't include the MPH speedo requirement; a KMH speedo was fine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts