Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
If it's such a good idea, they should buy their own batteries. £5k for each special charger should make it obvious it's not financially viable. Even though you get to keep it (for £250) after the trial this indicates that government funding is involved.

·
Registered
992 Posts
If it's such a good idea, they should buy their own batteries. £5k for each special charger should make it obvious it's not financially viable. Even though you get to keep it (for £250) after the trial this indicates that government funding is involved.
So why are V2G chargers so expensive?
V2G looks like it should be a good idea, but as you say if the charger is near the price of a battery then it makes little sense.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
It isn't very generous in comparison to the OVO scheme. Apart from the opportunity to buy the charger at a discount, you have to be connected for a minimum of 15 nights per month from 18:00 through to 05:00 the next day to get a "minimum" £10 reward. Hence you might only get £120 over the life of the project. Also, if you drop below 10 cycles you might get kicked off of the trial. There's no mention of the electricity tarrifs.

Electric Nation | Your electric vehicle - Your smart charge

·
Registered
506 Posts
As the trial is limited to Nissan EVs, I would guess that the charger is a DC Chademo unit, hence the cost. No DC charger is cheap

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Also being that CCS and type 2 don't really have a way to feed power back correctly the chademo gang are winning out.
Downside is the connector and some cable alone is something around £700+ each to buy. That a lot of money for the unit. Then the dc-ac needs doing as well and those aren't cheap at 3-10kw power levels.
Then add in type approval and so forth and the cost kits goes upwards.

·
Registered
Leaf e+
199 Posts
I read through the FAQs and they also get to mandate which energy supplier / tariff you need to go on.

Having spent a lot of back and forth with OVO V2G trial team, this one seems a lot more vague, and higher costs for termination / keeping the unit.

The one thing that always gets me with these - at the time I did research into these there is no 'load matching' capability on these chargers right now, and you cannot dictate when the exports happen - like you would with solar. At the end of the trial, you 'may' end up with a device that cannot export to the grid, or allow you to power your home with your car's battery.

All in all, I'm currently saving more money by a long shot on Octopus Agile than I would ever had hoped to save with exports based on my driving / usage patterns.

·
Registered
883 Posts
On the plus side... If everyone has chadmo plugs at home the price of them will fall. And like wind power the gov' subsidies will drive the prices lower. So eventually they will be worth it for joe public.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts