Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working from home is a real shock to the system, anyway like a bear coming out of hibernation i ventured outside for the first time this morning and i noticed this big yellow thing in the sky, is it a warning put there by the EU, i looked at the news and it didnt mention anything about it.
Do you have any ideas, i hope its not the apocalypse

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Yup, you'll have to excavate that petrol lawnmower soon, and hospitalise yourself with a wrenched back after trying to start the d*mn thing! :eek:
My wife has spotted flecks of dust glinting on window panes at dawn, and is sending me up a tall ladder today to deal with them. She'll probably wish me luck, saying " Break a leg!".

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yup, you'll have to excavate that petrol lawnmower soon, and hospitalise yourself with a wrenched back after trying to start the d*mn thing! :eek:
My wife has spotted flecks of dust glinting on window panes at dawn, and is sending me up a tall ladder today to deal with them. She'll probably wish me luck, saying " Break a leg!".
Mine started second pull the other week... Of course all the petrol had evaporated over the winter so I had to go to a petrol station, which was an unusual experience.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
so I had to go to a petrol station,
Surely under lockdown that doesn't count as an essential journey? ;)
Perhaps petrol for lawnmowers has to be ordered via Amazon etc.?
I note that if you pay someone to do it for you they are still allowed to carry on working and travelling around from job to job despite the rest of us being locked down.:unsure:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Working from home is a real shock to the system, anyway like a bear coming out of hibernation i ventured outside for the first time this morning and i noticed this big yellow thing in the sky, is it a warning put there by the EU, i looked at the news and it didnt mention anything about it.
Do you have any ideas, i hope its not the apocalypse

·
Registered
379 Posts
Surely under lockdown that doesn't count as an essential journey? ;)
Perhaps petrol for lawnmowers has to be ordered via Amazon etc.?
I note that if you pay someone to do it for you they are still allowed to carry on working and travelling around from job to job despite the rest of us being locked down.:unsure:
There's a picture I took of the Kona at the petrol station in the show us your ev thread. It was before the lockdown started. If it makes you happy I've been sat inside working from home for 3 weeks now. One of my colleagues has just finished her 4th week wfh, most have been at home for the last 2 weeks.
My grass is getting long enough to need cutting again, hopefully the mower starts as easily this weekend too! I think I have a whole summers supply of petrol in my can.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
My mower started second pull with last year's petrol still in the tank. Still have some (of last year's) in the petrol can; if by the time the can runs dry I can't get out for more there is always an old electric mower somewhere among the junk in the back of the garage which I could use, but being smaller it takes a lot longer to mow the grass (and has that long lead that I must not mow over!!!).

The big yellow thing in the sky is the original alarm clock - get up when it appears and you can see to do the jobs, and go to bed when it disappears and there is not enough light to continue working! (Sorry for those in Northern Scotland - you will be having some very long working hours this summer).

·
Registered
192 Posts
...... there is always an old electric mower somewhere among the junk in the back of the garage which I could use, but being smaller it takes a lot longer to mow the grass (and has that long lead that I must not mow over!!!).
And you've got something else to do during the lockdown? 🤣 🤣

John.

EDIT:- or in the words of Miriam Margolyes in this famous advert "Take it easy...."

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I mowed over my mower cable this morning. Sliced clean in two.

Luckily I could finish the job with the long handled shears.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My privet hedge won't need it's first cut for at least another month, but the above post reminded me of the times that I have accident cut through the hedge trimmer cable. Good old gaffer tape to mend the joint, what would we do without it?

·
Registered
996 Posts
I bought petrol for lawnmower this week. But it wasn't a special journey - I called at filling station whilst at a supermarket for food.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I bought petrol for lawnmower this week. But it wasn't a special journey - I called at filling station whilst at a supermarket for food.
Both our diesels are now full - prices haven't been this low since about 2010! Not that we can go anywhere for a while. :D

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Sounds similar to my first world dilemma tomorrow. Octopus Agile is paying you over 3p/kWh tomorrow afternoon to use electricity and I have to balance how much I can take against the desire not to leave our EVs too highly charged while we can't use them. I really should get a life and consider all the people who are ill at the moment or trying to save their lives.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,734 Posts
How very dissapointed I am at you all who still have petrol lawnmowers,undoing all that good work.
Only way to go if you have a big grass plot. My mower is 11 years old, cost £200 when I got it, has used about £50 in petrol in that time. Or I could have bought a £2k electric mower that needs charging around half a cut and the pack would be dead by now. My miniscule petrol emissions have been offset buy the sheer number of trees I planted 11 years ago. ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts