Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, just before I went to bed, I plugged in the Ampera. Nothing new in that. I always leave it until late in the evening just in case I need to use the car again.

However, last night something wierd happened. I plugged in and because it was in the charging period of the timer I got the single beep, the light turned green and it started charging. Unfortunately, I needed to reroute the cable more safely so I had to unplug it again. OK, I know, I should have done this before plugging in but it was late (that's my excuse anyway ;) ).

So I unplugged it. At that point all hell broke loose! :shock: I have forgotten that the Ampera has a tamper alarm. In fact, there are two alarms... the alarm goes off if the power supply is cut or if the charge cable is removed before you unlock the car. Both of these can be disabled and I had already disabled the power cut alarm as I didn't want to be informed if we had a power cut (which we do get here from time to time). However, I left the "unplugged" alarm active as I thought it sensible to want to know if the car was being tampered with.

Last night however I had forgotten that this alarm existed. I had not unlocked the car before plugging it in using the key fob to open the charge flap so the car was already locked when I plugged in so when I immediately unplugged the "unplugged" alarm went off.

So far so good. No real surprises there. The strange things is this though: as the "unplugged" alarm went off so the lights on the car in the neighbours drive opposite came on and the indicators flashed as if someone had unlocked it!!! I have heard of cars opening other cars with the remote fob but it is very rare but this was different. It happened as my alarm went off... not as I pressed the key fob to cancel my alarm. In fact, I have tried this morning to lock and unlock the car to see if my key fob unlocks his car - it doesn't.

All this was happening BTW in a deadly quiet family housing estate at 1am. Who knows how many I woke up :oops:

So I learned a couple of things from this... I am disabling the "unplug" alarm unless I specifically want it on when public charging. I won't be using public charging very often so I can always turn it back on when I do.

The other is that somehow the alarm affects other cars when it goes off. Not sure how this info helps or if it is important but it might explain things a little if a similar thing happens to you.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
"Who knows how many I woke up" Well I'd guess you woke your neighbour, who heard a very close alarm and assumed it was his, so remotely unset his car and relocked it, causing the lights thing that you saw.

Only explanation that makes sense..

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Parax said:
"Who knows how many I woke up" Well I'd guess you woke your neighbour, who heard a very close alarm and assumed it was his, so remotely unset his car and relocked it, causing the lights thing that you saw.

Only explanation that makes sense..
Your explanation does sound plausable I agree... until I say that his car lights and indicators coming on at absolutely at the same time as my alarm going off. His didn't come on after. No, I am convinced it was my alarm that was the trigger.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Well headlights can be very reflective, Indicators also have lens reflectors, were you parked head on? could it have been your headlights reflecting? (maybe you could test in the dark, by flashing your lights see if it looks the same.)

I'm assuming that when you stopped your alarm your neighbours was silent also? ie his alarm was not going off.

I cannot fathom that your alarm would trigger his in some way, that his would also stop at the same time.

I can see several possibilities that would cause his to trigger also, but it would continue to sound after yours stopped.

P.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely not a reflection. Not directly opposite and my car is parked nose in. His car is about 15m away at an angle in his drive.

His alarm didn't go off... his lights came on and indicators flashed once or twice as if someone had unlocked his car!

I agree with you... it is very strange and so far unexplained but I assure you it was not just me mis-seeing it :)

I will do a test later, when he gets home. It won't be conclusive but it might confirm what happened if it does it again.

I am as confused as you.

·
Premium Member
11,053 Posts
I think this has a simple explanation... The neighbour thought it was HIS/HER car alarm going off and went to window and remotely unlocked/locked his car :)

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paul, that is just not possible! Sorry, but I say it again just so people can be clear... the other car flashed its lights at the same time my alarm went off. It is simply impossible for the other owners to have done what you suggest. I face his car when I am standing at the plug-in flap of mine. I am actually looking almost directly at his car when I am plugging or unplugging mine. That is why it caught my eye so obviously because although my alarm had gone off I could also see that his lights were flashing too.

Not only that but once I had cancelled my alarm his sidelights were still on.

I know you think I must have got this wrong but I promise you... I haven't.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is really bugging me now...

I have just done it again, whilst watching my neighbour's car and I cannot reproduce what happened.

I must accept that I was wrong and that it didn't activate the neighbour's car. So what did I see? I suppose it could be that Parax is right and what I saw were reflections albeit very convincing ones. Given the timing I cannot see it being caused by my neighbour using his fob. He would have to have done it within a second of my alarm going off... very unlikely.

So, I give up! I shall put it down to me being tired and being spooked by the alarm which I certainly didn't expect. The brain can do strange things when shocked like that.

Sorry to confuse you all and thanks for indulging me... :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not exactly the same thing, but something very similar happened to me this morning!

I reversed into a parking bay at the local shopping centre (a small one not the massive Milton Keynes Centre!)

Having parked I "powered off" and then listened to the radio for a further 10 - 20 seconds before opening the door to get out. As soon as I opened the door I heard an alarm start to go off nearby but not me or the car next to me. I shut the door out of instinct but the alarm I heard kept sounding so I got out and spotted the car behind be (separated by about 10 feet and a low hedge) was the culprit. It's alarm and lights continued for another 20 - 30 seconds and then stopped.

Normally I'd just put it down to coincidence but as I'd read your post a few days ago I know the alarm started EXACTLY as I opened my door.

Spooky I guess and as I used to leave anything to do with radio waves and such to my late father who was expert in that area, I think it will just have to be put down as "Unexplained!"

Big Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts