Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently cemented my decision to buy a model 3 in the very near future, I could get one now on PCP or HP no problem (August or September delivery) but I think I would rather hang on for a bit and pay cash outright with the potential of price reductions owing to the upcoming release of the Model Y. My big issue I have is I'm worried it won't fit in my garage, and I'd be unbelievably grateful if there happens to be a current owner local to me that wouldn't mind bringing their Model 3 to mine to see if it fits in my garage, it's the length of the car that worries me.

I don't think it'd be the end of the world if it didn't fit in my garage, but it's what it's there for!!

Any help would be appreciated, Regards, Dan!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. Yes, and I've measured my garage, and I've compared it with the measurements I've found online for the model 3, and it's very tight, all it takes is for it to be a few mm out and I won't be able to close my garage door, or I might scuff on the end wall. Given that Parkers measurements say that a Corsa C is wider than an Audi A3 when it's obviously not, am I to fully trust the info I find online?

Like I said in the title, I know it's a massive favour, but to physically see the size of the car within the garage and if there is indeed room to close the door would be more accurate confirmation

·
Registered
17,341 Posts
If there’s a few mm in it, then I’d say the answer was no.

The sensors cut out at 30 cm I believe, so you can’t get it closer than that.

Time to build a better garage. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Garage build isn't an option unfortunately. I have power in there so I could still charge from there but it looks like i'd have to park it directly outside. Ah well!! Thanks for your input

·
Registered
893 Posts
The sensors cut out at 30 cm I believe, so you can’t get it closer than that.
Yes you can!

I used to able to parallel park our Volvo V70 into a space small enough that once I was in both the front and rear sensors were on full blast (the joys of living in a terraced house at the time!), and never once touched one of the other cars.

With our model 3 I park it in our garage and back it up using the camera rather than the sensors - if you back up to the point where the wall/floor join behind the car disappears because of the bumper and stop there then you have about 2-3 inches between the bumper and the wall. I've not once touched the wall this way (did several times with the Leaf).

I reckon you can get the 3 into a garage with an internal front-back length of 4.85m. Ours is 5.1 and there's enough room to get past the front of the car with it parked (our Lexus is 4.85m long and you can just shuffle past the rear bumper of that, but i have a dangling string set up so it's about 1cm clear of the back wall)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Do you have an up and over door? You need to check the clearances as it opens and shuts with the car in there, so not a bad idea to borrow someone else's! :eek:

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
501 Posts
You could put hang a piece of carpet on the garage wall and push the car till it touchs, that is assuming the car will allow itself to move forward under an external force.
I wouldn't drive it as the car could demolish the wall, I think I watched a YouTube some years ago where they did just that.

·
Registered
17,341 Posts
How far are you from a Tesla showroom?

There’s a chance they might let you take one home to test it for size.

But it sounds like you’re going to get the car anyway?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Potential price reductions when the MY comes out? Didn't happen in the US and the MY is almost certainly a year or more away from coming to the UK anyway. There may be other reasons why the price changes, but if you want to grab a bargain be ready to pounce on ex demo stock when they release them.

As others have said, if its close by tap measure, its probably too tight. .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I-S - I have a feeling the overall size of my garage internally is 4.85 in length, but I will be able to check for sure at some point and I already know I have to remove some shelving, it's off the floor but the bottom may still be too low for parking right up as far as necessary.

Toscal353 - I do have an up'n'over door, If the 3 does fit in the garage the door clearance is enough if I reverse in, probably not if I drove in forward.

BogieMan - Carpeting on the walls.... ahhh why not, there's already more carpet down the sides than brick as it is!! :D Literally wall to wall carpeting!!!

cah197 - Leeds is my closest showroom. I'll have to see if they trust a Wiganer with one of their lovely cars!
I do indeed really want this car, it's the first car I've come across in my entire 16 years of driving that I've wanted, and I'm at a point in my life where I feel I've earned something decent. Most expensive car I ever owned was an 8 year old Audi A3 I paid £5k for, nothing else I've ever had cost more than £3k

Jon G - I know I was probably being optimistic with regards to reductions. Ex Demo stock is just starting to appear, some really low mileage ones just sound like they're registered but not sold, and therefore still full price, some with maybe a years worth of miles on have dropped a grand or two. I do feel like there could be some Model 3 owners wanting to trade in for a Y when the time does come, then there could be something to be had on the second hand market...?

Not really in a position to move house to accommodate a bigger car... but maybe that's an angle I'd consider looking at if it means I can have a model 3 and keep it safe!!

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,069 Posts
Most cars are not put away overnight, even when a garage is available. In fact I do believe I’ve heard that insurance rates are lower if you don’t garage your vehicle, due to the risk of scraping it. Cars have got bigger, while garages (and supermarket parking spaces) have stayed the same size.

Why do you want to garage your M3? Security? Don’t forget you’ve got sentry mode. Protection? How about a car port, car cover, ceramic coating or a wrap?

·
Registered
893 Posts
tg1.jpg

This is typical, easily reproduceable without bumping into the wall parking position. STOP when the floor is no longer visible in reversing cam, only wall.0

My estimate was slightly off - ~100mm clearance.

Running the tape under the car to the back wall, this is the view down at the front bumper. . There's probably a bit of perspective happening here as the official length for the 3 is 4.69m, plus the tape was butting to the skirting board. This is why I reckon 4.85m should be clear.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some insurers do increase the price for garage stored cars, my current one doesn't. It's kinda for security, I like the fact that if someone passing the area doesn't even see the car they won't even be tempted by it, but also, weather protection, and potential clumsy neighbour protection.

I still haven't had a decent enough chance to go and accurately measure the size of the garage, but I'm as sure as I can be that bits and pieces that live in there at the moment with my current car definitely can't stay in there once the tesla sets up camp!

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,069 Posts
Reactions: Darran

·
Registered
5 Posts
As a fellow Wiganer albeit exiled in Derbyshire I'd love to be able to help. I've glued foam onto the garage wall to stop my iPace door hitting it, I would have used carpet but had the foam handy. Mine is tight fit lengthwise due to a workbench, the suggestions above re tha cameras sound spot on. My charger is in the garage so it lives there, although I could stretch the cable outside if needed. I did lots of careful measuring, and with the iPace, width through the door is the trickiest, careful alignment needed. I'm only just getting used to cameras. Can you not use Tesla in Manchester?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Potential price reductions when the MY comes out? Didn't happen in the US and the MY is almost certainly a year or more away from coming to the UK anyway. There may be other reasons why the price changes, but if you want to grab a bargain be ready to pounce on ex demo stock when they release them.

As others have said, if its close by tap measure, its probably too tight. .
Yes it did

Tesla cuts car prices

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
My solution to this problem has always been a few house bricks on the floor to stop the wheels at the precise position required. And then allow an inch for tyre flex when they hit the bricks.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts