Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Take it is not overnight SORN but a full year one. I don't think it works like that.

Once you put it back on the road it will resume the tax from where you left it.

·
Registered
16,781 Posts
Well, when you SORN you get a refund. However the question is does the £40k additional tax rate apply to EVs?

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Don't understand why you would do that when the tax change is retrospective.

·
Registered
16,781 Posts
Well that’s the question.

It appears the DVLA website still thinks the additional charge applies.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was to get the rebate on tax already paid, then join the new tax system the following day. No luxury tax on EVs over £40k. I thought the new legislation announced in the recent budget was for cars registered from 2017

·
Registered
559 Posts
Are there any insurance issues with SORN'ing your car?

What would happen in the awful event it was stolen from your driveway or wherever it is off-road?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts

What would happen in the awful event it was stolen from your driveway or wherever it is off-road?
If you SORN your car you either cancel the insurance and take the risk of damaged by third parties or you keep the insurance as comprehensive will cover it.
You can't insure your car for theft and vandalism acts without the 3rd party side of it.
What you can is to cancel the insurance all together and have an insurance for your garage with all contents including the car but that will be more expensive.

·
Registered
16,781 Posts

No. Although you might be able to get a lower premium for keeping it off the road.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My Midget is currently SORN while I'm fitting an uprated engine. SORN is a one-off procedure, and you get the tax back for any unused full months. I also have insurance specifically for a car being worked on off-road. You don't need third party as it's never going on the road. It's available from many classic insurers as it's relatively common in classic circles.

Reactions: andrew*debbie

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
My Midget is currently SORN while I'm fitting an uprated engine. SORN is a one-off procedure, and you get the tax back for any unused full months. I also have insurance specifically for a car being worked on off-road. You don't need third party as it's never going on the road. It's available from many classic insurers as it's relatively common in classic circles.
Yes, but a model S isn't a classic is it?

·
Super Moderator
11,688 Posts
Yes, but a model S isn't a classic is it?
They'd probably write a SORN policy for it. I doubt it would be worth it unless the car is off road for an extended period.

Be careful if the car is on HP, PCP or any sort of lease. There could be an insurance clause in the contract.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
They'd probably write a SORN policy for it. I doubt it would be worth it unless the car is off road for an extended period.

Be careful if the car is on HP, PCP or any sort of lease. There could be an insurance clause in the contract.
When a couple yeas ago I SORN my motorbike from Oct to Mar the only saving I got was the tax, still had the MOT to do and insurance company said that there was no reduction in insurance.
Because of the value of the bike and the locked garage I decided to cancel my insurance.
The downside is that the NCD stayed the same for the following year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts