Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this is all a bit basic....

Looking at getting an EV and trying to figure out what would preparation I'd need to do for getting a home charger in place.
Engaging all my artistry, I've created the below.
  • Red: Main Property
  • Green: Garage
  • Brown: Drive
  • Blue: Current location of Consumer Unit
Distance from the drive to the consumer unit is about 20m.

Am I going to need to be digging up in front of the house?
Should we be considering getting the consumer unit moved?

Am I overcomplicating it and it's all much more simple than I'm imagining?

As an aside, we're also looking at going solar and wondering if it'd be easier to have the consumer unit placed into the garage so everything can connect more easily.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Add to your sketch where the main property electrical supply cable, cutout fuse and meter is located and forum members will be able to offer informed options.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the prompt reply!
(I'm thinking unfortunately...) Everything is within the small blue bit at the front left of the house.

·
Registered
2020 Honda e Advance Platinum White Pearl on 17s
357 Posts
Our driveway is at the rear of the house and is over 25 metres from the consumer unit which is at the front of the house. Our supply cable from the consumer unit to the untethered Pod-Point runs externally just below DPC (damp proof course) level all the way from the front of the house to back of the house, a very neat installation. We needed a 10 metre Type 2 cable to then reach the car on the driveway and it’s been faultless for a year now.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
593 Posts
My situation was similar but with the CU diagonally opposite where I wanted the change point. To avoid unsightly cable going across the front of the house or digging trenches, the solution I went for was to take the cable straight up into the loft on the outside wall, into and across the loft space then straight down the other side of the house on the outside wall. A fair amount of the cable on one wall is partially hidden by a downpipe. Much neater. Cost an extra £50 in cable.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
It is bad luck your CU and meter are so far from the garage. Moving it and all the circuits would be a big job, so unlikely that would be cost effective.

You will need the installer to run a cable from CU/meter location to garage and there are several options depending on how much you want to spend vs. how visible it will be. A middle ground is to dig trench in front of house and bury. You can save money by getting low cost labour or DIY to dig it and get installer to check before filling.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
It is bad luck your CU and meter are so far from the garage. Moving it and all the circuits would be a big job, so unlikely that would be cost effective.

You will need the installer to run a cable from CU/meter location to garage and there are several options depending on how much you want to spend vs. how visible it will be. A middle ground is to dig trench in front of house and bury. You can save money by getting low cost labour or DIY to dig it and get installer to check before filling.
Make sure you future proof your installation by running an oversized power cable and additional small power and data too.

·
Registered
650 Posts
EV Nick on youtube did a video recently about channelling cables for chargers and future proofing. He ran a large conduit in the ground (drain pipe sized I think). He was going to put lengths of rope or similar in there, so any future cable requirements could easily be pulled through in future without having to dig down again.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
EV Nick on youtube did a video recently about channelling cables for chargers and future proofing. He ran a large conduit in the ground (drain pipe sized I think). He was going to put lengths of rope or similar in there, so any future cable requirements could easily be pulled through in future without having to dig down again.
Well worth it I think.

My charge cable is run in 75mm drain pipe. It's only a few metres, but under paving and I had the pipe lying around with no other purpose.
As a result I didn't bother adding any cat 5 or other wiring at this point, so the cost of any pipe can be offset against that for the initial project at least.
I didn't put a draw cable in either, but as it's a smooth, hard plastic and a short run I can just push most cables through.

Previously we had a conservatory built at the back and I ran the power for that down the side of the house underground in a long (about 4m) leftover 2 inch aluminium aerial pole. A few years later we got an induction hob in the kitchen which is halfway down that side. I was able to dig a small hole, cut a slot in the top of the aluminium tube and run the cable for the hob that way. Saved a lot of groundwork.

·
Registered
22 Posts
the efixx guys on youtube showed a neat way to get a draw cable through using a polythene bag and a Hoover.
Probably worth running a small secondary board in the garage. That would also suit to house a future solar system and would be a good place to ever expand and add battery storage. I’d expect the cheapest and cleanest option would be to bury an armoured cable along the outside of the house in a trench. Rather than knocking holes through half the house.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts