Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I'm looking at a 2015 27kWh Soul with 45k miles on the clock. I'm just wondering what peoples experience is with battery degradation with these cars, I was assuming that it wasn't nearly as bad as the Leaf but I've seen a few users on here mention a SOH around 91%. I think I may have to get a OBD2 dongle and check it with Soul Spy (annoyingly I have a dongle that I got when I was looking at Leafs but that doesn't seem to work (it's a BT LE dongle). Anyone know which dongle will work with the Soul that I can get from Amazon?

The car hasn't been serviced for a while and is missing any BMS updates since 2017, I've read that the battery logic update should help the efficiency. When I test drove the car I was able to get 4.3 m/kWh, however I've also tried a 2017 27kWh (not the 30kWh version) car and in that I was able to achieve 5.5 m/kwh easily. Could this be down to the required updates or is this more of a hardware change for the 2017 cars?

Thanks.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,714 Posts
Personally I would drive the car from 100% to 50% and see what range you can expect. We did this with our first Soul from a dealer, Its only a couple of hours max and will also allow you to check/use all the cars features to judge its a good buy for you. They are good reliable EVs and should serve you well if your happy the range.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi,

I'm looking at a 2015 27kWh Soul with 45k miles on the clock. I'm just wondering what peoples experience is with battery degradation with these cars, I was assuming that it wasn't nearly as bad as the Leaf but I've seen a few users on here mention a SOH around 91%. I think I may have to get a OBD2 dongle and check it with Soul Spy (annoyingly I have a dongle that I got when I was looking at Leafs but that doesn't seem to work (it's a BT LE dongle). Anyone know which dongle will work with the Soul that I can get from Amazon?

The car hasn't been serviced for a while and is missing any BMS updates since 2017, I've read that the battery logic update should help the efficiency. When I test drove the car I was able to get 4.3 m/kWh, however I've also tried a 2017 27kWh (not the 30kWh version) car and in that I was able to achieve 5.5 m/kwh easily. Could this be down to the required updates or is this more of a hardware change for the 2017 cars?

Thanks.
Which Leaf? There was a significant improvement to the Leaf's battery chemistry in 2013. So I would expect a Soul EV to significantly outperform the degradation of a 2012 or earlier Leaf, but probably be pretty similar to a 2013 or later Leaf. 2019 and earlier Soul EVs, and all Leafs, are air cooled (only 2020 and later Soul EVs have active thermal battery management).

That said, I have one friend with a 2013 Leaf and two friends with 2017 or earlier Soul EVs, and they're all happy with them. The fact that we live in a mild climate is a good reason as to why, as air cooling is reasonably effective if you live somewhere that doesn't have excessive summer heat. So the climate you live in, and the climate the car has spent most of its life in, will be a big determiner of whether an older Leaf or Soul EV is a good bet or not.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which Leaf? There was a significant improvement to the Leaf's battery chemistry in 2013. So I would expect a Soul EV to significantly outperform the degradation of a 2012 or earlier Leaf, but probably be pretty similar to a 2013 or later Leaf. 2019 and earlier Soul EVs, and all Leafs, are air cooled (only 2020 and later Soul EVs have active thermal battery management).

That said, I have one friend with a 2013 Leaf and two friends with 2017 or earlier Soul EVs, and they're all happy with them. The fact that we live in a mild climate is a good reason as to why, as air cooling is reasonably effective if you live somewhere that doesn't have excessive summer heat.
I've tested a 2016 30kWh Leaf which had 88% SOH after 34k and a 2016 24kWh which had 86% SOH, the Leaf doesn't have any thermal management, relying purely on passive air cooling, whereas I believe the 2015 Soul has thermal battery cooling (they have a fan in the boot floor) as far as I know, meaning the temperature can be controlled while charging and avoiding rapidgate issues.

·
Registered
64 Posts
In the 30 kWh soul there is 8 speed fan forcing cabin air through the battery. Fan starts at 30C battery temperature at speed 1 and goes faster as temperature rises. At any given temp fan goes faster when rapid charging and slower when driving.
The most I've done in a day was around 500 km and at last charging stop battery temp was 41C. Ambient circa 15C.
All data courtesy of Torque Pro.
BTW car has 27000 kms and I don't see any noticeable battery degradation.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the 30 kWh soul there is 8 speed fan forcing cabin air through the battery. Fan starts at 30C battery temperature at speed 1 and goes faster as temperature rises. At any given temp fan goes faster when rapid charging and slower when driving.
The most I've done in a day was around 500 km and at last charging stop battery temp was 41C. Ambient circa 15C.
All data courtesy of Torque Pro.
BTW car has 27000 kms and I don't see any noticeable battery degradation.
Doesn't the 27kWh Soul also have the fan cooling for the battery?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts

That said, I have one friend with a 2013 Leaf and two friends with 2017 or earlier Soul EVs, and they're all happy with them. The fact that we live in a mild climate is a good reason as to why, as air cooling is reasonably effective if you live somewhere that doesn't have excessive summer heat. So the climate you live in, and the climate the car has spent most of its life in, will be a big determiner of whether an older Leaf or Soul EV is a good bet or not.
Not quite correct on the cooling.

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
152 Posts
I've read that early 27s did not have the battery cooling fan, which was introduced about 2016, probably because of heavy battery degradation in Arizona and the like. It sits in what would otherwise be the spare wheel stowage, so easy to see if an early car has it.

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
152 Posts
Did you have to have the SOC at 100% to get the SOH measurement, James?

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
152 Posts
Interesting. The reason I asked is that I read that someone who thought his battery was below 70% SOH was told by the dealer that the SOC had to be 100% to take a reading (with the official test equipment) which KIA would accept.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Next time I do a 100% charge I will have a look and post up the result. When my car was serviced they took the SOH without charging to 100%, but of course this was a non critical test as there was no battery warranty claim at stake 😀

I wonder if they stipulate this as any cell balancing will go on once charged to 100%. This cell balancing may slightly improve the SOH. From Kia’s point of view this might drag the SOH over 70% and allow them to defer replacing the battery.

The cells on mine at mid SOC were fully balanced all showing the same voltage. It will be interesting to see if this is still the case at very low or full SOC, and whether 100% SOH is still reported.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Freddym, yes as of an update in around June. Has to be the paid for full version, the free Lite app does not support SOH on the 30kWh. There are less cells in the 27kWh Soul, so in the health chart above you see 100 cells for the 30 and I think it was 96 for the 27. SOH is now correctly reported for the 30 as well as the 27. It says the app also works with Soul 40 and 60, plus Kona and eNiro and Ioniq. Not sure whether that is full support including SOH for those cars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts