Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been using Soul Spy to check the SOH on my 2015 (65 plate) car. When I got it in November, it had 45k on the clock and was reporting 89.4% (this was done again in December when it was cold and around 50% SOC. I've read that Kia check the battery when it's fully charged so last night I charged the car to 100% and checked again, after 2000 miles it's now showing 87.9%. Obviously I'm a little concerned as I've only been charging the car on a granny cable (mainly to 80% and have only rapid charged it 3 times to test. The annoying thing is I went for the Soul over a Leaf as I'd seen so many issues with battery degradation on the Leaf and this seemed a far rarer problem on the Soul, I'm now wondering if I'm on a slippery slope of a degrading battery...

Has anyone any experience using Soul Spy, and is there any point in upgrading to the full version (I noticed in one of the update notes it says "Fix SOH for Soul EV 2015-2019" although I assume the Lite version shows the correct SOH?).

Through winter I've been getting around 78 on the GOM but been bring able to get around 85-90 in real life (arounnd 30 miles daily on A and B roads). At 100% today it's showing 85 miles this morning.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE 2018 Black
127 Posts
I think the manual says to charge to 100% once a month, for more accurate balancing of the cells, SoC, SoH, Gom etc

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
As @MDave says, this will likely be only charging to 80%, so the battery balancing isn't ever happening. Charge it to 100% occasionally (I would actually suggest at least once a week for a while until things settle) and you'll probably see the SOH increase by a decent amount.

The SOH isn't a scientific measurement - it's a best guess by the car based on parameters it can read. If cells are giving different voltages - as yours appear to be - then the car will deduce that the SOH is lower than it actually is. The good news is that most of your cells are giving a lower voltage than a select few that are giving a higher voltage - that smacks of needing balancing. Genuine SOH problems would see most cells with one voltage and then a small number with a lower voltage.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
As @MDave says, this will likely be only charging to 80%, so the battery balancing isn't ever happening. Charge it to 100% occasionally (I would actually suggest at least once a week for a while until things settle) and you'll probably see the SOH increase by a decent amount.

The SOH isn't a scientific measurement - it's a best guess by the car based on parameters it can read. If cells are giving different voltages - as yours appear to be - then the car will deduce that the SOH is lower than it actually is. The good news is that most of your cells are giving a lower voltage than a select few that are giving a higher voltage - that smacks of needing balancing. Genuine SOH problems would see most cells with one voltage and then a small number with a lower voltage.
That's great advice, I was thinking about doing a 100% charge once a week (I last charged it to 100% about 7 weeks ago). And just to note, I did a trip to work today, it was 8.5 miles. GOM was showing 85 and 99%. I arrived with 93% and 80 miles on the GOM @ 6.3 m/kWh! So was pretty pleased with that.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,568 Posts
From our experience with a 27kw Soul it tending to work out at about 90 miles, roughly 4 miles per kw. With careful driving a regular 100 mile trip was possible with 3 or 4 miles left. If you can get close to those numbers I wouldnt worry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts