Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Soul 64 previously Golf GTE
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well so far after a few days of ownership really enjoying this car.

Picked it up at the beginning of the week and slightly miffed it still had the 2019 firmware / software on a 21 plate car but grabbed the updated files from the ioniq forum and now enjoying the purple icons etc which i personally prefer over the teal - might be in the minority here but i do prefer the new style home page though i think it would have been a better idea to have an option to choose either new or original layout for those who had their car for a while.

Today have fitted a 35 litre diy frunk with the mounting fixings 3d printed and put all the cables and tyre bits in there with room to spare which i might use to put all the manuals (sealed in a bag) in there and gain space in the glovebox! Also fitted a set of 5mm thick rubber mats designed for the soul ev as none obviously supplied with a £37k car as cuts into their profit margins.....

Can thoroughly recommend these mats, not the prettiest perhaps but they do the job and generally last as long as you have the car from past experience, about £27 or so off the auction site.

Now have the boot floor on ts lowest setting and the space left under it now houses tools for work which tend to be loose in the boot otherwise, the level is 150mm lower than usual which given the width of the boot must free up another 100 litres of capacity back there so easily 400 litres plus which is very good for a car of this length in my view and something i dont feel they point out on the online review videos.
Did find the handling odd until i could get to a garage with a decent tyre inflator, found it came with 42 psi all around! which made for some interesting moments now all dropped to 36 psi which i may drop a bit lower, what do you guys find works?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yup - mine came last year at 42 psi all round !
The lack of a good rubber mat on the market is disappointing. I'm a big fan of Weathertech and have them in my Merc but making do with some standard sized Michelins at the moment.
I'd suggest a £30 inflator off Amazon and a good gauge to back it up.
I have put Michelin CCs on and run them at 36 all round which seems to work.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I went down to 36 but came back up to 39psi.

The ride was marginally better at 36 but efficiency dropped. 39 seems a good pressure to me.

Like the frunk!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the frunk just makes better use of all that dead space up front and due to the front shape of the soul you get to fit the bigger 35 litre eurobox rather than the 24 litre which fits the niro (obviously the frunk custom model is available for daft money if you wanna go bigger)
Ta for the heads up re tyre pressures, i average about 400 miles a week driving into london daily so will run them a week at 36 and maybe a week at 33 and 39 to see what results / comfort and handling i get. May have to run at a higher pressure if the garbage state of london roads become too uncomfortable but we will see

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are correct but i like to play around with my cars to see if there is a sweet spot (for me), Will say im happy to be back on 17" rims again on the soul which in my view are the best compromise for cars driving in town - the 18's on the gte were trashed by the roads / kerbs / avoiding courier cyclists with a death wish whereas the leon i had before on 17s not a mark after 2 1/2 years. God knows how the id3 guys on 20" alloys will fare after a couple of years...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't get my 1st Edition until June but will want to do your Frunk trick to store the cables. What box have you used & any chance you'll be selling the 3D printed brackets? 😊

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
box and lid from ebay - Matlock 600X400X170MM Euro Container | eBay
3d mounts found here they say kona but fit niro soul as well - Kona Electric frunk attachment by ktp download the files you need (for free) and find and send them off to your choice of 3d printer co, most will give you quotes online when you forward these files over so you can choose the best value. Remeber you will need two of the small mount files printed and one each of the medium and long mounts
Aluminium strip 25mm wide 2mm thick is sold in 1m lengths from screwfix etc and 4 bolts washers and nuts of your size to lash together

·
Registered
49 Posts
Brilliant, thanks for the comprehensive reply.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts