Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lining up a potential replacement for the naughty Corsa already. It's between the id3 and the Soul EV first edition I think.

I had a Soul EV before so I want to check a few things.

Front parking sensors are missing on the First Edition spec - is that correct? If so can you see the end of the bonnet from driver's seat easily? In the Zoe I couldn't so lack of front parking sensors was annoying at times.

Remote pre condition - can you do it when the car is unplugged from a charger and what is the minimum percentage it will pre heat at? Corsa is 50% minimum which is a monumental PITA. Corsa App does sort of work for checking battery status, changing charge times etc. I'd want the same with the Soul.

Auto wipers - can you just leave them in auto and expect them to work? Corsa you can't. They have to be turned off and on again all the time which makes having them called Auto a total con. Leaf and Zoe I could leave in Auto and they generally worked without much messing from me.

While rapid charging can you switch the car on and use the heater and AV system for as long as you want? Corsa you can and that is essential. I don't imagine I'd do much public charging in the Soul but it's always useful to know you can keep warm if you have to.

Bluetooth music. In my original Soul when you got into the car you always had to fanny about selecting the source as it was too dumb to remember you used bluetooth and would blare the radio at you rather than pick up where you left off. Corsa does the same and I hate that. I need a car that will automatically re-connect to bluetooth and carry on playing music where it left off and stay muted until it does. Leaf and Zoe both managed that without any interference. It's a really trivial thing but I find it annoying when it can't do what any old cheapo after market head unit can do.

Apple car play I don't really use but I assume it's wired and not wireless?

Is the dash display fully digital so you can display a map of where you are in that screen? Corsa does this and it's really useful when you are going somewhere you haven't been before as the route is highlighted and easier to follow than having to look across to the main AV head unit display.

Are the LED headlights plain auto dipping ones or the light shaping fancy matrix ones? The light shaping ones are quite something. Corsa has those and the Leaf ones were good but the Corsa ones are a step up in usefulness. Auto dip function seems better as well.

Reversing camera - does it do the fake 360 and fill in gaps or is it just a normal reversing camera? I miss the full top down view on the Leaf.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
418 Posts
Lots of questions so hard to answer!
No front sensors
Yes, can precondition
Yes, can use HVAC when charging
Dashboard is digital but map display only on central screen. Directions are repeated on HUD
Bluetooth works fine, remembers source
Carplay & AA are wired
LED headlights auto dip only
Reversing camera gives std rear view only
Why not go for a test drive?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd rather get facts about the car from folk that own them and drive them first as they tend to actually know how the car behaves in reality rather than how it does in the manual... I'd never find out all that lot on a short test drive. Some things you want to know are only possible by talking to people who own and drive them for long enough.

The minimum percentage for the battery to precondition question is usually the one that flummoxes sales people. I've given up asking them much at all as they often just don't know the answer to that or basic questions about charge speed and whether you can run the heating while rapid charging.

·
Registered
Soul EV 2020
75 Posts
Have never actually noticed whether the pre-heat stops working at low battery, i only use it unplugged as I don't have a home charger - have certainly used it below 50% but probably haven't used it below 30% as I've only got there a couple of times.
Seat is quite high so yes you can see the front - but test drive will show you that
Yes heating/infotainment can be used whilst on rapid charge
Auto wipers seem to work >95% - have had a couple of occasions when I've had to wake them up (tweaking the 'speed')
Route directions on dash and hud are ok - lane, turn arrows, distance to turn etc.
Reverse camera view has adjacent sensor view

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
545 Posts
@finchlean has covered most of it perfectly. I would only add

a. Yes remote pre-condition works without being plugged in. I don't know of any minimum SOC limit but if not plugged in it will only run for 15 minutes.

b. Yes the auto wipers stay 'on'. i.e. they work when you get in the car without having to do the off-back on thing. But the auto full beam doesn't- it has to be activated with a push forward of the left stalk. Then it is on (assuming your lights are in auto mode in the first place). Which is the exact opposite of how it worked in my last ICE, where the auto lights were on but the wipers needed the off and back on thing. To be honest, I think there is a valid reason for having to arm the wipers before they work. What if it is raining when you first get in the car but the wipers are frozen to the windscreen? If I have to re-activate one of them I would have preferred it to be the wipers.

c. I can see the end of the bonnet from the drivers seat quite easily. I have no need for front sensors.

d. The LED lights are standard dipping ones but they are good quality.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the heater in the new Soul is anything like in the old one then it's fierce. Leaf is the same. Decent heater. Corsa is weak at heating and ventilation.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
394 Posts
I have had a couple of times when the Pre-Conditioning hasn't worked, but I never really took notice of what SOC the battery was, but I am sure it was below 50% both times.
The heater seems very quick and efficient in the Soul

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I planned to get front sensors fitted later, but no sign of them yet as a Kia accessory, and so far i've not needed them.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,567 Posts
The front sensors missing from the new Soul was annoying coming from the previous Soul. However it really hasnt been a problem as having had the previous Soul its essentially the same bonnet and so you just know where the front is. It doesn't ride as softly as the old Souls but has better handling, not a fan of the glossy black scattered around the cabin and its all black inside too. Apart from that superior in every way to the old Soul and the joy of driving at proper motorway speeds and still get over 200 miles in winter, with 22 degrees a/c, and 240 miles in summer never gets old. You can get the 280 miles WLTP if you stick to slower speeds but I had enough of that in the old Soul. It looks much better in the metal than in pictures also.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,152 Posts
Hope the OP doesn’t mind too much me hijacking a bit but I’m also starting to contemplate a next car and the Soul is one option under early consideration.

Bit of a left field question, but is anyone please able to tell me whether the default reference consumption in ABRP (2.94mi/kWh at 65mph) is reasonable, or if not, what do you use? I’ve seen someone mention setting it to 3.5mi/kWh somewhere before, and 2.94 feels really low.

Im just tying to get an accurate idea of how much time would be shaved off longer journeys in the Soul vs my current i3 for which I use 3.8mi/kWh.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hijack away @Bill N :)

Soul plans are on hold for now while I'm distracted with a replacement brand new Corsa in the possibly misplaced hope the new ones might have fewer (!) of the gremlins of the first batch.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,527 Posts
Hope the OP doesn’t mind too much me hijacking a bit but I’m also starting to contemplate a next car and the Soul is one option under early consideration.

Bit of a left field question, but is anyone please able to tell me whether the default reference consumption in ABRP (2.94mi/kWh at 65mph) is reasonable, or if not, what do you use? I’ve seen someone mention setting it to 3.5mi/kWh somewhere before, and 2.94 feels really low.

Im just tying to get an accurate idea of how much time would be shaved off longer journeys in the Soul vs my current i3 for which I use 3.8mi/kWh.
I did some calculations and came up with 3.8mi/kWh as average for the Soul EV. Then I entered 3.6 in ABRP, and have used it since. Not a lot of feedback though, as I have been on only a couple long trips since. No charging at all (away from home).

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
545 Posts

I too have only done a couple of journeys longer than the standard local hop, due to lockdown, but I got 3.2m/kwh according to the on board economy indicators on a 140 mile run recently at 67mph with the HVAC set at 22 degrees the whole way. Outside temp was not freezing but fairly low, normal for the time of year. I would be disappointed if is not more like 3.5 - 3.6 in better weather.

On local runs, as long as it is more than a mile or 2, I am getting around 3.5. Average overall since I bought the car is 3.7

·
Registered
417 Posts
Just to jump in on this, I was surprised at the insurance group on the new Soul EV is 34! Thats higher than the e-Niro's 29 and the Kona's 26, anyone have any idea for that discrepancy? The old Soul 30kWh was Group 18.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Someone posted info on twitter that 900 odd niros were sold and only 90 odd Soul Evs in the same time. They're not very popular at all. Maybe the insurance costs are one reason they're less popular. The 0-60 time is much quicker than the first generation ones. The Niro is far more practical and available in multiple trims and not just one which really doesn't help the Soul. I assume a lot of folk are waiting for more choice and Kia are waiting until so many are sold so it's a stand off.

In the end I changed to another Corsa and a lot of the weirdness has gone. Auto wipers you have to turn off and on again remain the most stupid decision ever.

Glad I didn't get an id.3 as they seem even more riddled with problems than the Corsa.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,152 Posts
Just to round off my contribution to this thread, I ended up in a Kona (via Onto) and so far I have settled on a reference consumption of 3.8 mi/kWh in ABRP (although I haven’t don’t too many long trips to refine this yet).

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
418 Posts
Someone posted info on twitter that 900 odd niros were sold and only 90 odd Soul Evs in the same time. They're not very popular at all. Maybe the insurance costs are one reason they're less popular. The 0-60 time is much quicker than the first generation ones. The Niro is far more practical and available in multiple trims and not just one which really doesn't help the Soul. I assume a lot of folk are waiting for more choice and Kia are waiting until so many are sold so it's a stand off.

In the end I changed to another Corsa and a lot of the weirdness has gone. Auto wipers you have to turn off and on again remain the most stupid decision ever.

Glad I didn't get an id.3 as they seem even more riddled with problems than the Corsa.
I think of my Soul as being exclusive rather than unpopular 😁
Aston Martin would love to sell 90 cars/year!

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think of my Soul as being exclusive rather than unpopular 😁
Aston Martin would love to sell 90 cars/year!
I saw the quote again. It was worse. It was 64 Souls and 985 (ish) E Niros!

You'd think Kia would ask why and do something.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts