Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Soul EV First Edition 2020
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would share my experience with getting an OBD2 reader working with my Soul EV.

I initially purchased an Edasion ELM327 OBD2 Bluetooth 4.0 reader from Amazon. I couldn't get this to connect to the ECU of my Soul. Using Car Scanner I could connect to my VW Transporter.
I then purchased a Konnwei KW902 ELM327. This is not compatible with iOS devices so I used a Samsung Galaxy Tab A using the android Soul EV Spy Lite and Car Scanner apps.
The Soul EV Spy Lite app connects to the ECU as expected, however there is little information about the high voltage battery provided. The "Car" tab is fully populated except SOH is "unknown deterioration". Reading the app user guide this is to be expected as they don't seem to have enough data on the Soul EV. The BMS page remains blank as does the Battery Cell Map tab.
Does anyone know if the paid for version provides any more information?

The Car Scanner app provided the information I was looking for. Selecting the "all sensors" icon displayed information on all the pouch cell voltages (all 98 of them) and SOH percentage. In my case all cells were at 3.62 volts at 43% SOC. SOH was 100%. The reported cell numbers with the maximum and minimum voltages kept changing.

Hopefully this is of use to anyone who would like to check the health of their HV battery.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,104 Posts
Thanks , I will probably be getting a new OBD2, as mine doesn't connect to the Soul.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,104 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Soul EV Spy Lite is not being improved, so after Kia modified the BMS data protocol slightly, it no longer displays data from the BMS. The paid version has been updated, so it works correctly, AFAIK.
I am the maintainer of the apps, if you have any questions or find bugs, feel free to write me: [email protected]

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
275 Posts
Thanks for this.
Is the BMS update for the 2020 model (SK3) and is it recent change?
I've had my 64kwh Soul since July and it has had no updates.
I plan to use Soul EV Spy and was thinking of starting with the free version to check my OBD2 adapter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is the BMS update for the 2020 model (SK3) and is it recent change?
I've had my 64kwh Soul since July and it has had no updates.
I don't know. The issue was reported by a Kona EV 2020 user. The data-format was not exactly the same as on my Kia Soul EV 2020 (SK3), which I have driven since May 2019. It has not had a software update yet. Since Kona EV, Soul EV and e-Niro share the same BMS etc, I assume that the new cars use the new BMS data format.

I plan to use Soul EV Spy and was thinking of starting with the free version to check my OBD2 adapter.
Good idea, you should be able to see car, OBC, Aircon, and TPMS data with the Soul EV Spy Lite version, if your dongle works.
PS: Nice colors, mine is the same :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reading the app user guide this is to be expected as they don't seem to have enough data on the Soul EV.
I am curious what gave you that expression in the user guide?!? The app is from the start developed for the Kia Soul EV, then later expanded to support all of Kia's and Hyundai's EVs. New features are primarily being tested on a Kia Soul EV 2020 w 64 kWh battery, these days.

The BMS page remains blank as does the Battery Cell Map tab. Does anyone know if the paid for version provides any more information?
It should, assuming your dongle is the supported dongle: KW902.
If the BMS remains blank, or you find another bug, describe the problem and attach the SoulSpyLog.2020XXXXXXXX.txt and SoulSpyData.2020XXXX_XXXX.csv files from the Download dir, in an email to [email protected], so I can fix it.

·
Registered
Soul EV First Edition 2020
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am curious what gave you that expression in the user guide?!? The app is from the start developed for the Kia Soul EV, then later expanded to support all of Kia's and Hyundai's EVs. New features are primarily being tested on a Kia Soul EV 2020 w 64 kWh battery, these days.

It should, assuming your dongle is the supported dongle: KW902.
If the BMS remains blank, or you find another bug, describe the problem and attach the SoulSpyLog.2020XXXXXXXX.txt and SoulSpyData.2020XXXX_XXXX.csv files from the Download dir, in an email to [email protected], so I can fix it.
Hi Langemand,
This is an extract from the user guide: (referring to the newer Souls EV models)
"If you happen to have one of the models that always has SOH displayed as “Unknown deterioration” in the app, and you have an official dealer measure the SOH value as below 100%, then please send an email to [email protected], containing the SOH value reported by the dealer, and a screenshot of the min- and max-values displayed near the bottom of the “Battery Management System” page (or if you purchased the paid app: The SoulSpyLog.2020XXXX_XXXX.txt file from Download catalogue) "
I interpreted this as a request for data on cars with SOH below 100%.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Langemand,
This is an extract from the user guide: (referring to the newer Souls EV models)
"If you happen to have one of the models that always has SOH displayed as “Unknown deterioration” in the app, and you have an official dealer measure the SOH value as below 100%, then please send an email to [email protected], containing the SOH value reported by the dealer, and a screenshot of the min- and max-values displayed near the bottom of the “Battery Management System” page (or if you purchased the paid app: The SoulSpyLog.2020XXXX_XXXX.txt file from Download catalogue) "
I interpreted this as a request for data on cars with SOH below 100%.
The user's guide is written by volunteers, and not updated when the app is updated. The quote is outdated. To my knowledge, the current version of the paid app displays BMS data, including SOH, for all Hyundai and Kia EV models, when the BMS has estimated a value for SOH. With the exception of the Hyundai Porter II EV, which is exclusively sold in Korea, and no users have yet volunteered to test it.
The BMS in early model years (e.g. Soul EV 2015-2019) is different from the BMS in newer models, the main difference being that the SOH value is no longer based on BMS's estimated battery deterioration.
I have never had any feedback for a model with the new BMS, having SOH below 100%
So, the point of the request for an official SOH reading, along with the values read from the BMS by the app, is to verify that the value read for SOH by the app is indeed the same value as the official SOH reading.
The same verification has been done for the old BMS's, where a number of users has volunteered their data. That is not yet the case for the new BMS's.
The free app also used to work with the new BMS's, but after a BMS update, the data format from the new BMS's is changed slightly. So the free app is no longer compatible, and does not display any BMS values. The paid app was fixed earlier in 2020, and displays all BMS values, from all BMS's / versions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts