Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have just taken delivery of a new Kia Soul and I have noticed that the displayed (HUD) speed limit is not reporting correctly. I did a test yesterday and it was telling me I was in a 60 limit when I had actually passed into a 50 and then a 30. It updated to 30 mph when I went through a 20 limit (school).So basically useless. In fact quite dangerous (to my license).

So my question is how does it recognize the limit? Is it the Maps/ GPS data or a camera? I have tried looking in the manual but cannot find anything. I have checked back over older posts but don't think this has been answered conclusively (apologies if I have missed this). I even tried calling my local dealer but they don't seem to know.

If it is taken from the map is it likely I need a software update? Is there any other way to get this calibrated/ fixed.

Thanks in advance.

Martin

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
608 Posts
If the speed limit is showing in the maps section of the display, I understood (from my Ioniq) that it is based only on the map information on the speed limit, which can obviously be out of date. The cars do have recognition of signs capabilities but I understood this is disabled on UK cars. Maybe because 30mph limits aren't usually sign posted as such, except when entering them?

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
539 Posts
FWIW, on the Corsa-e, the speed limit sign message is based on a combination of camera and GPS/Map. How do I know this? Recently a local road that is normally signposted at the national limit (White circle with a diagonal black stripe through it) was used as a diversion route and had temporary 40mph signs posted. The first part of the road is 30mph until the normally national limit of 60mph for the road. As the car passed the first 40mph temporary sign, the speed limit sign in the car went to 40mph which was obviously set by the camera. After some distance, the sign in the car then reverted to the national limit sign before passing another temporary 40mph sign and the in-car sign went back to 40mph.

There is no reason for this to be disabled on UK cars. No idea why it is on the Kia Soul, if it is so. Traffic sign recognition is supposed to be just that... recognised from signs using a camera with back up from GPS/Map info.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the speed limit is showing in the maps section of the display, I understood (from my Ioniq) that it is based only on the map information on the speed limit, which can obviously be out of date. The cars do have recognition of signs capabilities but I understood this is disabled on UK cars. Maybe because 30mph limits aren't usually sign posted as such, except when entering them?
Thanks Electrickery. As it is a new car I assumed (probably wrongly) that it would have the latest map software loaded, and I don't think the limits on the roads I was on had changed recently. I haven't noticed if it displays on the satnav as I've not used the nav yet. I will test it later. I definitely passed clearly marked speed limit signs so assume the camera is not working. I had read that if the car has lane assist it uses the same camera to detect signs, maybe it referred to non-UK cars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FWIW, on the Corsa-e, the speed limit sign message is based on a combination of camera and GPS/Map. How do I know this? Recently a local road that is normally signposted at the national limit (White circle with a diagonal black stripe through it) was used as a diversion route and had temporary 40mph signs posted. The first part of the road is 30mph until the normally national limit of 60mph for the road. As the car passed the first 40mph temporary sign, the speed limit sign in the car went to 40mph which was obviously set by the camera. After some distance, the sign in the car then reverted to the national limit sign before passing another temporary 40mph sign and the in-car sign went back to 40mph.

There is no reason for this to be disabled on UK cars. No idea why it is on the Kia Soul, if it is so. Traffic sign recognition is supposed to be just that... recognized from signs using a camera with back up from GPS/Map info.
Hi b789pilot.That's interesting and what I was expecting to happen in the Soul. To be honest I would rather have no indication than having displayed on HUD always wrong (not sure if I can turn it off on the display). The Kia dealer suggested that I may have KPH set and not miles but that would not explain why it didn't change between a 50 and 30 (displayed 60 the whole time) and 60 kpg isn't 30 mph anyway. I can only assume that for whatever reason it is not using a camera and must have out of date map loaded.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,520 Posts
@Martin Williams It doesn't matter what GPS/maps system you use, they are usually 6 to 12months out of date. Anyway, it might be a good idea to check your firmware&maps version. I would not count on your car having the latest, see here: What are latest software, maps versions (March 2021) ?

You have some options for the HUD, maybe you can disable the speed limit, if you want.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
539 Posts
I would place money on the fact that the traffic sign recognition on your KiaSoul is through a camera somewhere around the rear view mirror. Maybe you have some dirt or smudging on your windscreen that is affecting it? Or maybe you need a firmware update?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Martin Williams It doesn't matter what GPS/maps system you use, they are usually 6 to 12months out of date. Anyway, it might be a good idea to check your firmware&maps version. I would not count on your car having the latest, see here: What are latest software, maps versions (March 2021) ?

You have some options for the HUD, maybe you can disable the speed limit, if you want.
Thanks Todor I'll check the version later. I did look at the options to add info to the HUD when I first got the car but don't remember if you could deselect the speed limit. Will check later.,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would place money on the fact that the traffic sign recognition on your KiaSoul is through a camera somewhere around the rear view mirror. Maybe you have some dirt or smudging on your windscreen that is affecting it? Or maybe you need a firmware update?
The car is only 3 days old so unlikely to be dirty, but I will take a look to see if I can see a camera and check if it has anything obstructing it. Will check software version. Kia advised me to call back when I'm sat in the car (my wife has taken it to work) and said they would check the setup. Not sure what they can do over the phone but will update if I manage to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The Soul is definitely not reading traffic sign speeds, and is using what is in the mapping software. How do I know, my previous car the ZS EV did use the cameras and like Sex Panther cologne the MG system 60% of the time, worked every time ;) It constantly used to get a 30 > 50 change as 30 > 5 and the signs are not obscured, so the camera based system is hardly flawless either.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
394 Posts
I queried where the data for the Speed Limit advice came from with Kia, and was told that it is the built in maps.
The camera is not used.

Hopefully the correct data will be displayed in a year or so, as long as the local council stop tinkering with the speed limits :(

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
In the meantime, use Waze

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
It uses exactly the same hardware and system as the Hyundai Kona

there is an option in the menu under driver assistance to turn on or off the camera based warning system

unless Kia have disabled it, Hyundai did at one point and tried to charge owners £100 to Reenable it

so worth checking your drive4 assistance menu to see if it’s unticked

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
How do I know, my previous car the ZS EV did use the cameras and like Sex Panther cologne the MG system 60% of the time, worked every time ;) It constantly used to get a 30 > 50 change as 30 > 5 and the signs are not obscured, so the camera based system is hardly flawless either.
The camera system is bloody dangerous on my VW. The VW has the option to automatically change the cruise control/speed limiter limit based on the road signs. It also loves to pick up the 10 mph sign at a car park entrance at the side of a 60 mph road. Needless to say, I switched off the automatic limit changing pretty quickly when I discovered that.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,006 Posts
My Nero 4 and the 2020 Soul I’ve driven did not use the camera. Weirdly the Soul displayed everything at 1mph under, so 29, 39, 59... I found that weirdly off putting. Kia have two different names for their system and I believe one uses the camera, the other does not. Intelligent Speed Limit Warning is what it’s called on my car. It’s neither intelligent nor a warning so quite the misnomer. I notice Kia now refer to a speed limit information system, which is a much better description. It’s useful in as much as it can help if you’re just not sure what the speed limit is on the current stretch of road. It might not be correct but at least it’s map based... if you haven’t been past a sign you don’t necessarily know, and neither does a camera system.

·
Registered
883 Posts
My Nero 4 and the 2020 Soul I’ve driven did not use the camera. Weirdly the Soul displayed everything at 1mph under, so 29, 39, 59... I found that weirdly off putting. Kia have two different names for their system and I believe one uses the camera, the other does not. Intelligent Speed Limit Warning is what it’s called on my car. It’s neither intelligent nor a warning so quite the misnomer. I notice Kia now refer to a speed limit information system, which is a much better description. It’s useful in as much as it can help if you’re just not sure what the speed limit is on the current stretch of road. It might not be correct but at least it’s map based... if you haven’t been past a sign you don’t necessarily know, and neither does a camera system.
My 2020 Soul does exactly the same - however I’ve always found it spot on with speed limits other than reading 1 under all the time.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,520 Posts
@idiotzoo and @SoulGW need to update your cars firmware. At least, the wrong speed limit was a known bug of one of the previous versions. Maybe UK specific though...

·
Registered
Zoe GT Line 2020
133 Posts
Surely the sign recognition is only an aid? The main system for determining speed limits is your eyes.

My Zoe gets the speed limits wrong sometimes, but I only know that because I've seen the signs myself!

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,006 Posts
Indeed... It's a useful aid but shouldn't be treated as a source of truth. I'm always amused when my Toyota says the speed limit is 80 because it's misinterpreted a sign. It once came up with 95. The variable speed limit displays used on motorways seem to cause it problems.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts