Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I have a 2017 (27kWh) Soul EV. As I understand it older model Souls had the option to set a charge limit on the scheduler. From what I've read this feature was disabled because of some EPA bureaucracy...

Does anyone know if the feature is still part of the software and simply disabled? Has anyone managed to re-enable it either at a dealership or by unofficial means?

It's a real pain having to do mental maths every time I want to charge to 80%...

Thanks in advance!
:)

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,689 Posts
We always had to do the maths as well using the timer based on 10% battery per hour on our 16amp home charger or 20% per hour on a 32amp. Not so bad if you charged when it hit roughly the same low per cent each time. Great cars though.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,689 Posts
Our 2016 stopped at 84% I think, but you could restart the rapid and take it to 94%. It will not let you charge further than that if you try to restart a third time again. Seem to remember an update was released but not sure. Personally I never tryed to get an update. Charging to 84% is easily the fastest way on long trips. I did occasionally restart to get to 94% if my next stop and its backup required the extra few miles. On range in a 27kw Soul we could go 90 miles with 100% in winter at 60mph on motorways and then top up to 84% in 25 minutes and then do 70 mile hops keeping 10-15% reserve. It was fine on long trips up to about 300 miles. However it was an awful experience if it was wet and cold. Our year mean't we could choose to avoid travelling distances in december and january which helped a lot with the weather. I wouldn't recommend a 27kw or 30kw Soul if you do more than one 500 mile trip every couple of months though as that would get annoying quickly. You do need to just accept that as a rule of thumb long journeys tend to work out at around 40 miles an hour average travelled including charging though. Great EV for everybody who doesnt mind that on those rare trips.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Our 2016 stopped at 84% I think, but you could restart the rapid and take it to 94%. It will not let you charge further than that if you try to restart a third time again. Seem to remember an update was released but not sure. Personally I never tryed to get an update. Charging to 84% is easily the fastest way on long trips. I did occasionally restart to get to 94% if my next stop and its backup required the extra few miles. On range in a 27kw Soul we could go 90 miles with 100% in winter at 60mph on motorways and then top up to 84% in 25 minutes and then do 70 mile hops keeping 10-15% reserve. It was fine on long trips up to about 300 miles. However it was an awful experience if it was wet and cold. Our year mean't we could choose to avoid travelling distances in december and january which helped a lot with the weather. I wouldn't recommend a 27kw or 30kw Soul if you do more than one 500 mile trip every couple of months though as that would get annoying quickly. You do need to just accept that as a rule of thumb long journeys tend to work out at around 40 miles an hour average travelled including charging though. Great EV for everybody who doesnt mind that on those rare trips.
Some great information there, thanks. I only ever do longer trips (100+ miles) maybe a couple of times a year for holiday etc so hoping the range shouldn't be a problem for me in day to day use. Looking forward to getting the car..

·
Registered
Nissan E-NV200 Tekna Panel Van, 24kWh Battery, Kia Soul EV 27 kWh, BMW i3 94ah REX
24 Posts
My 27kWh 2016 Soul has the option to charge to 80% on the charging scheduler. I'll take a photo next time I venture out.

·
Registered
916 Posts
My 27kWh car also has option to charge to 80%. This is useful for my wife who wants to plug in as soon as she gets home and know that it will be at 80% whenever she wants to leave. I tended to leave it at 100% but set timer so that it got to 80-100% before I departed and had a warmer battery.

I think I read that the option was removed because there was little evidence that stopping at 80% had a significant benefit to battery longevity and suspect that is true provided car is used regularly and not left at 100% for long periods.

Stopping rapid charging at 84% is a good new ev driver training aid and encouraged me not to dwell any longer than necessary, which is generally the most efficient tactic to get to your destination quickly, but there were a couple of times when I'd be queuing to get coffee and car stopped charging - I'd rather it was still taking on energy even at a slower rate (and maintaining battery temperature) for those few minutes. In truth these are tiny margins though.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV. Lotus Exige
66 Posts
My 2018 30kWh only charges to 83-84% on public chargers that are 20kWh and 50kWh.

Granny charger at home currently, until the 7kW home charge point is nstalled next Thursday, my mission is to get the car to 100%, as i have never seen the charge above 92%

·
Registered
195 Posts
My 2018 30kWh only charges to 83-84% on public chargers that are 20kWh and 50kWh.

Granny charger at home currently, until the 7kW home charge point is nstalled next Thursday, my mission is to get the car to 100%, as i have never seen the charge above 92%
The 30kwh Soul should charge to 94% on s public rapid charge... What happened when you hit 84%?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV. Lotus Exige
66 Posts
The charge rate went from 50kWh down to 16kWh, I then ran out of time and needed to go.
On a 20kWh charger, the charging stopped at 84%.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The charge rate went from 50kWh down to 16kWh, I then ran out of time and needed to go.
On a 20kWh charger, the charging stopped at 84%.
I'd imagine it would have kept going to 94%... No idea about the 20kwh charger, should be nothing to stop an AC charger for going up to 100% other than a timeout maybe..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts