Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am thinking of buying a 2017 Soul EV (white with blue roof - 33 kWH) . It has a 3.6kWh charger I believe - does that mean i can only charge at 3.6kWH even if I have a 7kWH home charger installed and if so do any owners find that a bit slow

many thanks

Al

·
Registered
16 Posts
3.6kw could be the 'granny lead' for standard 13amp socket (although should be 3kw). Ours chargers at 7kW max on AC. Also 2017 soul EV was either 27kWh or 30kWh. The 30kWh is significantly better, as also more efficient. Probably be a 67 plate (although ours is a 17)

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I concur with 20% an hour for the 30kWh version (as said it's either 27 or 30, the 30's became available mid 2017.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you’re buying you need to make sure it comes with the two cables. One is a domestic plug 3 pin charger which has like a box ‘brick’ near the 3 pin plug end and is slow to charge. Commonly referred to as ‘granny’ charger. The one you definitely need to make sure is there is a type 2 plug one which you can use on a dedicated EV home charger as well as the numerous fast chargers dotted around the country. The type 2 lead is the one that will typically add 20% per hour, the ‘granny’ one is way slower!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Al, as others have mentioned, proceed with care buying a 2017 model as it could be a 27 or a 30. There are a couple of white ones with a blue roof on autotrader at the minute that are advertised as 30's but I'm not sure they are. The registration plates show them being registered in about April from memory (when I was looking a month or so ago) and they are on Nexen tyres. The 30's started coming through from summer 2017 and came on Michelin tyres. The 10th letter on the VIN plate will be J for a 2018MY with a 30 battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much for all the advice gentlemen. James, I msgd the garage about the white soul evs you mentioned (advertised as 30 kWh) and they double checked and said they had go it wrong
The VIN advice is excellent as there seems to be not other way of telling beyond the Nexen/Michelin tyres. I'll be extra vigilant on battery size and also on the cables you mentioned Colin.

thanks again

·
Registered
261 Posts
Good luck with the hunt Al, it’s a great car and so underrated. If you don’t mind the looks (I like them) it’s got few faults (small boot but with the back seats down a van like load shape). Only had mine about 3 weeks, getting over 140 miles range (no motorway driving all rural and urban roads). Last charge was 100% to 23%, 110.3 miles travelled on 77% battery. 4.8 miles per kWh or approx 143 miles total range.

That was the first charge with 4 new Michelin cross climates fitted. They have slightly affected the efficiency as I was averaging into the low 5’s on the standard fit Michelin energy savers. Temps were 3-5 degrees early morning commute and 4-8 degrees driving home. Perhaps it was just a touch colder last week though so maybe not all down to the tyres. Bodes well for range when temps are in double figures though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good luck with the hunt Al, it’s a great car and so underrated. If you don’t mind the looks (I like them) it’s got few faults (small boot but with the back seats down a van like load shape). Only had mine about 3 weeks, getting over 140 miles range (no motorway driving all rural and urban roads). Last charge was 100% to 23%, 110.3 miles travelled on 77% battery. 4.8 miles per kWh or approx 143 miles total range.

That was the first charge with 4 new Michelin cross climates fitted. They have slightly affected the efficiency as I was averaging into the low 5’s on the standard fit Michelin energy savers. Temps were 3-5 degrees early morning commute and 4-8 degrees driving home. Perhaps it was just a touch colder last week though so maybe not all down to the tyres. Bodes well for range when temps are in double figures though.
That sounds great james, so the one I have my eye on with VIN of KNAJX81EUJ7026797 must be a MY18 and hopefully a 30 kWH - your range is fantastic and as you say that is in cooler temperatures - I am an estate agent and would use the Soul EV for running around town only.

thanks,
Al

1 - 13 of 13 Posts