Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

Anyone know any dealers in Scotland who have a Soul EV available in Scotland to see/drive?

The lease deals coming out of Drive Electric are v tempting but I can't commit without driving one first. Have tried Parks but no joy at any of the branches.

Thanks, John

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Watch the James and Kate youtube video about the Soul. Then watch a few of their others about other EVS. They're actually good enough to work from. I bought mine without driving it. It it is well put together car. They're quite good at describing what cars are actually like so the things they find you immediately go 'oh yes it does do that' so I know I can trust their comments.

Find your Local Kia Dealer | Kia Motors UK

Arnold shark is listed as being an EV dealer in Cumbernauld. No idea where that is in relation to where you are though.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I'm not sure I've read about anyone who's had a bad test drive, eg thought "nah i dont like that".
I think the main issues with the Soul are its looks, and the small boot (though its a decent load space if you fold the rear seats flat).
If those dont bother you, whilst i understand your requirement to have a test drive, I wouldn't be too worried about not having one.
You could also check out the bjorn videos

·
Registered
22 Posts
The lease deals coming out of Drive Electric are v tempting but I can't commit without driving one first.
Have you tried asking Drive Electric if they can put you in touch with a dealer who can let you have a test drive? They were very helpful when I contacted them about a test drive in the Soul EV.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi John

I'm in Irvine, North Ayrshire if that's close to you then you're more than welcome to pop down and have a look and have a wee burst around town if you wish? My Soul is two years old with only 2000 miles on it so haven't been using it as much as i'd like but it's an awesome car and I can answer almost any and all queries you may have about it.

Dan

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
1,304 Posts
I have a loan SOUL EV from Drive Electric whilst I am waiting for mine MY18 to be delivered. I am in Glasgow if that helps?

Arnold Clark in Dundee did have one but I think it may have been sold.

Derek

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow great response thank you all!

I live in Helensburgh, but work in Cumbernauld primarily. I'm 6'3 so fitting in cars comfortably is not necessarily a given, hence I'd like to at least sit in one (perhaps this could be done in a standard Soul, I don't know).

Yes Drive Electric offered to put me in touch with dealers (Parks) but I rang round myself to a few branches already with no joy. I will try Arnold Clark in Dundee as I'm through that way tomorrow anyways.

Watched the youtube videos last night too, pretty good although obviously J&K are in the older model with less range. I test drove a Leaf 30kWh for a few days last year - loved the experience but thought the range was just too small to actually enjoy driving the car (ie grin-inducing instant torque from time to time!). Although that was also tempered by the cost still being a bit too high, at least with the proposed Soul deal this is not a concern. My work are also closer to installing charging points this year.

I started watching the bjorn video the other day and as funny as it was I only managed about 10 minutes into the however many hours..!

@Derekosb & @danny8665 amazing offers thank you. Derek you're a bit closer I would love to come have a quick look sometime if that would be ok - PM me?

Thanks again everyone, great resource here.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just off the phone to Arnold Clark Dundee and they still have the sold Soul on site, which they are happy to show me round so just setting that up for tomorrow fingers crossed.

Can't wait for their sales patter....grim.

·
1,304 Posts
@Derekosb & @danny8665 amazing offers thank you. Derek you're a bit closer I would love to come have a quick look sometime if that would be ok - PM me?

Thanks again everyone, great resource here.
Afternoon John, PM Sent.

Derek

·
1,304 Posts
Hi @Johnno83

Wondering how you got on with your test drive? Did you fit (I'm sure you did)? Did you like it?

Derek

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah well I saw it, and sat in it but couldn't drive it as it had already been sold (to Fife Council, I'm sure they wouldn't have minded...)

I did indeed fit, and I did actually quite like it. It was a titanium grey one, and the looks grew on me a bit. Is it just that and the smurf colour scheme that are available?

Predictably the sales patter was average. He asked how I was looking to finance it I said I wanted to lease, and had had a decent offer already. He said ah but you can't get the home charging point grant with a lease, so you'll be wanting a PCP. I didn't have time to sit and do the dance anyway so I didn't have to argue about this. Suffice to say I think it suited them to sell a PCP that day.

He also said expect a 90 mile range. I guess I'm glad they're being pessimistic about range, rather than believing the numbers, but I've read plenty on here to suggest it's more like a Leaf and typically up around 110-120? Less in winter obviously (which is still my biggest concern I think).

So still swithering slightly...

·
1,304 Posts
There are three colour choices in the U.K.

White Reverse Smurf.jpg

Reverse Smurf (White with blue roof, mirrors and bumper trim)

T
Titanium SOUL EV.jpg

Titanium Silver which you saw (and I am currently driving) and -

2015_kia_soul_ev_2_1920x1080.jpg

The Full SMURF (which I have ordered).

Other countries get a wider range annoyingly. U.S. and Canada get Black with a red roof

cherry-black-inferno-red-kia-soul-EV-750x449.jpg

Or pure white

kia-soul-EV-clear-white-and-titanium-silver-750x359.jpg

Let me know if you're still interested in driving one?

Derek

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
He asked how I was looking to finance it I said I wanted to lease, and had had a decent offer already. He said ah but you can't get the home charging point grant with a lease, so you'll be wanting a PCP....
As you'll be aware www.drive-electric.co.uk are doing leases at £1200 down and £200/mth for 2 years (and I believe 3 years is the same payments).

www.drivethedeal.com appears to be the cheapest for purchase at £19,969 if you take it through PCP (the repayments depend on the level of future value).

You live in Scotland (as do I) and are therefore entitled to a nice chunk of freebies including a home charger (even if you lease) Domestic charge point funding ,

free public charging through www.chargeplacescotland.org ,

...and if you want to buy an EV outright, up to 6 years 0% interest with no deposit (other than that used to secure the car through the dealer, typically £500 or so) Electric Vehicle Loan (which I used to buy a Merc B250e last year via drivethedeal)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts