Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure | Latest news from ChargePoint UK

It seems that everybody's second-least-favourite charging network provider are assisting Source East to transform their network.

Their joint aim is to transform the Source East Network of EV charging infrastructure through a major programme of upgrade and growth to create a fully-fledged sustainable PAYG operation across the region.
What is becoming quite clear is that the days of 'as much electricity you can eat' for a small annual fee are numbered.

·
Ecohound
1,291 Posts
If it is a fair price and good service this could be a good thing. What I want is a charge point that works and enough of them to accommodate the growing number of EV's. Also I would rather not have to carry a handful of cards that may or may not work due to not knowing if Source East supports Source London etc. Never have these problems buying petrol so why should charging away from home be a lottery.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Maybe, but I reckon it will free up the charge points for all you BEVers, as PHEVs won't see the point if they have to pay.

·
Registered
752 Posts
True, but I'm guessing they'll price it at what the market will stand, or it won't be worth the investment.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
True, but I'm guessing they'll price it at what the market will stand, or it won't be worth the investment.
I honestly have no problem paying to charge my PHEV, as long as the is comparable to costs of bathing at home, plus a small admin/back office fee.
If they start charging £1.70 an hour, plus parking, it will make the whole network entirely pointless.

·
Ecohound
1,291 Posts
It is a shame that the big electricity companies don't step in as after all its their product that we are using. Then they cut out the middle man on the profits and have a large service sector already in place. Also great advertising and considering the amount they pay for CO2 reduction initiatives this has got to be one of the most efficient ways to reduce CO2.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is a shame that the big electricity companies don't step in as after all its their product that we are using. Then they cut out the middle man on the profits and have a large service sector already in place. Also great advertising and considering the amount they pay for CO2 reduction initiatives this has got to be one of the most efficient ways to reduce CO2.
Ecotricity have done, RWE nPower have done (installing some charge points), EDF have done (sponsoring installation of charge points). ESB have done.
Though I guess only ESB counts as a monopoly legacy generator, and they've now pretty much got a monopoly on public charging on the island of Ireland.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I've done some research on this, and actually think I would like to do a 180.
Chargemaster are touting their new 'polar plus' account, which is £8 a month plus 9p per kWh. I realised that if you are a regular user, then this is actually not bad value for money !

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chargemaster are touting their new 'polar plus' account, which is £8 a month plus 9p per kWh. I realised that if you are a regular user, then this is actually not bad value for money !
The problem is that of regular use. I don't frequent anywhere near a Chargemaster charge point regularly enough to justify spending £8 per month plus electricity fees. I do still want to be able to use them occasionally, ideally with an authentication card that I already hold. If Chargemaster don't want to issue RFIDs to anyone other than their regular subscribers, then they'd better start accepting other network's cards soon.

Put it this way, I've had a polar instant card for 7 months now, from the £20 I needed to top it up with, I've still got about £14 on it, and the only charged usage was one session, and that was because the fees weren't marked. Had I had to pay £8 per month, I would have spent over £57. If I hadn't have had the RFID card, I would still have had £20 on it, because that post was in a multi-storey car park with no mobile signal.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
The problem is that of regular use. I don't frequent anywhere near a Chargemaster charge point regularly enough to justify spending £8 per month plus electricity fees. I do still want to be able to use them occasionally, ideally with an authentication card that I already hold. If Chargemaster don't want to issue RFIDs to anyone other than their regular subscribers, then they'd better start accepting other network's cards soon.

Put it this way, I've had a polar instant card for 7 months now, from the £20 I needed to top it up with, I've still got about £14 on it, and the only charged usage was one session, and that was because the fees weren't marked. Had I had to pay £8 per month, I would have spent over £57. If I hadn't have had the RFID card, I would still have had £20 on it, because that post was in a multi-storey car park with no mobile signal.
I agree, but I use a source east post every day. So if they implemented a similar membership scheme, I would be happy to sign up.
On the other hand, at £1.70 an hour on the pay as you go scheme, it's actually 25% more expensive than using petrol .......

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
That really is quite good value if you was using it regularly.

I personally only rapid charge once or twice a month. I would be happy to pay up to 35p/kWh on a PAYG basis.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
That really is quite good value if you was using it regularly.

I personally only rapid charge once or twice a month. I would be happy to pay up to 35p/kWh on a PAYG basis.
I know, quite a surprise to be honest ! It's like night and day when compared to their Payg tariff .....

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Actually the £1.70/hr, if you can charge at 32 A isn't cheap (5.10 for 3 hours) , but it's not so bad if it includes parking/in a free area and doesn't "cost" time. I charged in MK whils thaving an indian post-bletchley trip. I paid less than fuel & it was easy, so no real objections. I think the 7.50 to 80% rapids are too much though by far.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The polar subscription tariff seems good value if you regularly use their chargers, but I don't -- not in a suitable area,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts