Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spotted on a Source London IER charge point:

Lack of Source London logos on screen. A Bluecity logo on screen instead.

Does this mean they're ready to launch their vehicle rentals? Let's see..

Current Source London app and web site has a lot of hidden functionality relating to booking a charge point, entering driving licence numbers, booking a car rental, ending a car rental.
There's also bizarre comments that show that it's been a simple rebrand of the french Bluecar app, like 'With Source London you can rent a Bluecar whenever you wish and drive it in the 46 cities of the Île-de-France region'
If you reserve a car and not actually pick it up in time, they'll charge a fee for wasting time.
Parking spaces for Blue City cars are all charging bays that happen to have the new IER 986 charge points. Those with Elektromotive, Chargemaster, Pod-Point, Siemens, or other chargers are not listed as possible parking locations for a Blue City car.

It's probably more like a software build with incorrect branding went live before they're ready.

The Blue City web site appears to be live, but not sign of any mention of fees.
The BlueCity android app is in the Google Play store. (com.polyconseil.bluecity)

You can only actually subscribe at a special subscription kiosk, of which there are currently none in London. Presumably, such a kiosk can take a scan of the user's driving licence.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
AFAIK SourceLondon branding isn't going to be used for the car rental business, was going to be blue city, with red cars.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's also prices described in € all over the app, with a french-style currency-symbol after the number, so clearly, any localisation and branding they need to do has plenty of work to do, but they've done the English translations reasonably well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Whilst I support an electric car sharing service, I hope there's a lot more working chargepoints in London before they start, the last thing we need is the pitiful number of working chargepoints to be taken up with rental cars just sitting there waiting for customers.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I would love to see the "commercially sensitive" agreements with councils they have built up that give them free parking spaces all over redacted - actually the charge points which will become unusable by anyone else. I strongly suspect this is why certain local councils have been slow in giving permission for deployment, see what swill they can get out of Blue-whatever before they secretly sell-off, effectively, public land.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whilst I support an electric car sharing service, I hope there's a lot more working chargepoints in London before they start, the last thing we need is the pitiful number of working chargepoints to be taken up with rental cars just sitting there waiting for customers.
To be fair, some boroughs that have signed up are doing lots:
Hammersmith and Fulham, and Kensington and Chelsea have now got quite a lot of new locations in the past 6 months.
Camden hasn't seen a single new location, just very slowly getting existing sites retrofitted with Source London's preferred hardware.
Current league table of Source London locations on a per-local-authority basis is:

45 westminster
32 camden
24 hammersmithandfulham
21 southwark
21 kingstonuponthames
21 hillingdon
20 kensingtonandchelsea
16 hounslow
16 hackney
14 greenwich
14 croydon
12 bromley
11 lewisham
11 enfield
11 barnet
10 wandsworth
10 haringey
9 sutton
8 newham
7 redbridge
7 brent
6 stratford
6 harrow
6 cityoflondon
5 ealing
4 towerhamlets
4 slough
4 lambeth
4 islington
3 walthamforest
3 surrey
3 richmonduponthames
3 havering
3 bexley
3 barkinganddagenham
2 westsussex
2 watford
2 essex
2 epsomandewell
2 elmbridge
1 spelthorne
1 runnymede
1 merton
1 hertfordshire
1 dartford
1 buckinghamshirecountycouncil

nb. many of these are not council-owned locations, but in supermarket car parks and the like. Islington, for instance, has no publicly available charge point on it's land (though there is a residents-only scheme)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would love to see the "commercially sensitive" agreements with councils they have built up that give them free parking spaces all over London - actually the charge points which will become unusable by anyone else. I strongly suspect this is why certain local councils have been slow in giving permission for deployment, see what swill they can get out of Blue-whatever before they secretly sell-off, effectively, public land.
Barnet provided pretty good disclosure here:
http://democracy.brent.gov.uk/documents/s39158/source-london.pdf.
Key points are a) annual rental for the space (£500 for zone 3, £300 for zone 4) plus 20% of profits, and b) council can cancel the contract with 12 months notice but pays penalties if this happens during first 8 years.

In fact I don't think the provision of spaces has been the delaying factor. If you read the document, the proposal is all about solving a problem (maintenance & electricity costs) and instead gaining revenue whilst ticking the box on EV provision. There is no appreciation of the issues that EV owners would care about (e.g. controlling source London pricing for this monopoly service or controlling their ability to fill up all the spaces with their own car sharing fleet).

The fact that the council sees providing charging bays as a revenue raising opportunity at all at this stage of EV acceptance shows how low a priority EVs are to them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
A few of the Wandsworth ones have moved to Pod point recently and are app only. Will be interesting to see what happens to the network over the next year. I've found the status on the map to be pretty unreliable, showing points not working when they do work or showing points free when they aren't.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I've found the status on the map to be pretty unreliable, showing points not working when they do work or showing points free when they aren't.
Do you mean the SL map or the Podpoint map? I've not yet enough experience of the PP map to have an opinion of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts