Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
It'd be interesting to see that compared to the number of charging points being installed. Maybe the reduced growth is due to running out of capacity?

·
Registered
307 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I would not call it lack of growth, if you go back 7 months it has grown by 1000 charging events a month. Given they are now at 4000 charging events a month thats 25% of the whole in the last 7 months

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Roughly 3 charges per month, per registered user in the final month.
That's not too bad when you consider a large percentage of users will only charge at home or at rapids.
Looking at the trends, December has been the low for the past 3 years, rising fairly consistently up to a peak in September, got to hope/assume this should continue, especially with more new EV's being released this year....

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Most of the central London ones are in paid car parks which may be limiting the growth? All the on street free parking bays are being utilised?
I have quite a bit of competition for the ones in SW1.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think most people use them, like me, for free parking not for charging! You cannot rely on them for a charge because they may well be out of order or being used. They would have been much better to use all the money spent to fund free parking in pay&display bays in all boroughs. The uptake of electric cars in London has been driven by the congestion charge and free parking in Westminster, not by Source.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The graph doesn't show that a number of rapid chargers came online around November 2013, that would be useful to drivers that would otherwise use the posts covered by this chart. It's actually encouraging that despite additional rapids becoming available the number of sessions hasn't decreased,

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I think most people use them, like me, for free parking not for charging! You cannot rely on them for a charge because they may well be out of order or being used. They would have been much better to use all the money spent to fund free parking in pay&display bays in all boroughs. The uptake of electric cars in London has been driven by the congestion charge and free parking in Westminster, not by Source.
I agree they're not reliable, but there are plenty of London EV drivers like me who have no access to off street parking and no possibility of charging at home...

·
BEV road warrior
662 Posts
I agree they're not reliable, but there are plenty of London EV drivers like me who have no access to off street parking and no possibility of charging at home...
I thought if you had no off street parking you could apply to the council to install a public point near you? I thought they had an obligation to facilitate based on the funding they are given? Unless it's all eaten by Source London?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I thought if you had no off street parking you could apply to the council to install a public point near you? I thought they had an obligation to facilitate based on the funding they are given? Unless it's all eaten by Source London?
I think you have a 'right to request' but the obligation to install is ties up in so many get out Clauses that it's unlikely to happen ....

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I think you have a 'right to request' but the obligation to install is ties up in so many get out Clauses that it's unlikely to happen ....
Fascinating, I had no idea. Unfortunately I also live on an unadopted road...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I asked Kerry Prescott, of Kent CC, about the possibility of charing points in streets and she told me that that was a separate govt. money pot from those in car parks and Kent decided not to bid for any of that.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Some interesting stats in the latest TfL document... one of the most interesting IMO is the lack of growth in the number of charging sessions in the last 6 months :confused:

View attachment 1064

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/ev-fact-sheet-201403.pdf
So the July 2012 peak was due to Olympics so real figures start Jan 2013 from which point usage has steadily increased.
Would be good to compare to in service charge points to see if there was any correlation as I remember a year ago most of the points I visited would be out of service but that has improved now

1 - 18 of 18 Posts