Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source London are offering a six month free subscription until 5/12. My e-golf won’t arrive until February so possibly don’t need it, but is this an ok offer compared to Polar’s ‘free’ period? I find it difficult to find a comparison chart.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looking at electricity only on a KWh basis SL is really expensive. The advantage of SL is being able to park and charge in central London where finding a spot is usually a challenge in itself. Note you can also park in Westminster parking bays for a notional charge for 10 minutes regardless.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is quite an advantage though, when I paid £45 for the day in Chinatown recently. Although a lot of these Q Parks do have EV points now as well.

if the price list states 14.3p per min, is that the same as 20p per KWH?

·
Registered
779 Posts
if the price list states 14.3p per min, is that the same as 20p per KWH?
No. 14.3p/min = £8.58 per hour.
e-Golf with 7kW onboard charger (so 1 hr = ~7kWh) so an eye-watering £1.23/kWh.

I guess you are paying for parking but wow, that is crazy high.
About 2.5x the price of a good petrol car, 3.5x the price of diesel, 7x the nominal wholesale cost of electricity for a charging supplier (18p/kWh inc 20% VAT).

·
Registered
425 Posts
No. 14.3p/min = £8.58 per hour.
e-Golf with 7kW onboard charger (so 1 hr = ~7kWh) so an eye-watering £1.23/kWh.

I guess you are paying for parking but wow, that is crazy high.
About 2.5x the price of a good petrol car, 3.5x the price of diesel, 7x the nominal wholesale cost of electricity for a charging supplier (18p/kWh inc 20% VAT).
Depending on location in London, petrol and diesel cars will have to pay congestion charge at daily £10.50 if registered, but not electric cars. So this advantage for electric offsets the SL rate.

·
Registered
425 Posts
@davesul Only for an hour though at those rates. i think polar is looking better at present
Polar may be preferable but your value for SL rate seems to be at odds with SL web site numbers ie

"Our best value plan for customers who regularly charge their vehicle is our Full Membership, which incurs a £4 monthly membership fee and enables you to charge your vehicle from just 3.6p/min.

Alternatively, if you only need to use our charge points on an occasional basis, opt for the Flexi Membership which incurs a £10 application fee. Session fees start at 5.9p/min.

All memberships benefit from an overnight cap (charges are capped at 4 hours) between 8pm and 7am when using our 7kW charge points.

Please note that all Memberships also incur a Central London surcharge of 1.4p/min when using charge points located in Central London Surcharge Zone (Camden, Kensington & Chelsea and Westminster)."

I've never used SL so don't know if its good value or not.
I have used Polar Instant and more recently Polar Plus for rapid charging - several quite near me locally and seem ok.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think with Source London it's all about where you are. There are a couple of points near me; they're in an area where you can park free anyway and well outside the congestion charge zone (they'll still be outside the ULEZ when the zone expands to the circulars). It's much less of a rip off in areas where you would otherwise be paying a small fortune to park. I've never used Source London though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The polar points in the central London Q-parks like Soho and Chinatown also add a charge and cap at 90 minutes. This type of parking is for that one night a year at the theatre!

·
Registered
23 Posts
For Soho and Chinatown, try to find a spot in Westminster council's catchment, especially during peak hours as normal drivers won't want to pay the extortionate charges to park so bays care free but EVs get a discounted (near free) rate. I parked in Golden Square for a whole afternoon and evening for 80p!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts