Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently used the one in Montagu mansions. I was amazed to find it free. The 3 other times I passed by, there was a car plugged in.

What's other people's experience of level of availability of London's on street chargers? Worth a punt or more of a lottery experience?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Absolute lottery in my experience over the last few years. Firstly whether it's free or not and secondly whether it's in service or not, so many posts I come across are faulty and out of action intermittently.

I really hope the new company running Source London work on the reliability of the existing infrastructure.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
my experience is the same as @Alexander Sims and 'lottery' is a great way to describe Source London.

If you do wish to experiment then I recommend modifying your Type 2 cable so that it can be removed if the Charging Station fails... I must have seen 5 or 6 abandoned cables locked into Charging Stations with no car on the end :rolleyes:

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my experience is the same as @Alexander Sims and 'lottery' is a great way to describe Source London.

If you do wish to experiment then I recommend modifying your Type 2 cable so that it can be removed if the Charging Station fails... I must have seen 5 or 6 abandoned cables locked into Charging Stations with no car on the end :rolleyes:
What kind of modification? The post I used had a flap with a magnetic lock securing the 3 pin socket end of my cable. I can't think of how I would get my cable back, short of cutting it if the flap would not open.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but could you please post a picture of the Type 2 mod? Cheers.
Sorry, missed the request, as @Hoa Tu says just extend the slots to the edge of the connector. You can also shorten the connector as discussed in the Tesla Roadster thread and that has the same effect. Obviously, modifying any electrical equipment carries risks...

My cable is on loan but I'll try and get some photos :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts