Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain Source London's pricing to me please? The web site is a bit confusing...

It says £5 to subscribe until the end of the year. Then what? It says that a new pricing scheme will come in, but doesn't say what it will be.

My Leaf is due for delivery in early January and I want to use Source London chargers. Should I subscribe now in anticipation of getting a lower cost subscription next year? Do I even understand their stupid web site?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I wrote to them asking whether the roaming agreement with source east was to continue and why the majority of charge points were out of service and they replied saying I should write to my local council to say how great source london are (????).
Personally i think you should wait till January or pay £10 to join source east then at least it will roam to London till 31/12 and maybe longer.
I don't think they have a clue what they are doing.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I wrote to them asking whether the roaming agreement with source east was to continue and why the majority of charge points were out of service and they replied saying I should write to my local council to say how great source london are (????).
Personally i think you should wait till January or pay £10 to join source east then at least it will roam to London till 31/12 and maybe longer.
I don't think they have a clue what they are doing.
Summed up in a nutshell !

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting... But will the roaming continue even after January 1st? The whole situation really isn't very clear. At least if the roaming does continue I know I can get a card for £10 now, thanks for that.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Interesting... But will the roaming continue even after January 1st? The whole situation really isn't very clear. At least if the roaming does continue I know I can get a card for £10 now, thanks for that.
Odds on the roaming won't continue, but you still get roaming to Plugged in Midlands.
It is all as clear as mud, but by 1st January, we should have a clearer idea of where they are planning to take it.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, well I live south of London so unfortunately it won't help me much. Looks like I'll just have to wait and see what happens, but I have a nasty feeling it's going to be expensive come January. Too good to last I suppose.

·
Registered
269 Posts
What structure do the French backers of the new - Source London adopt in France with charging? Can we expect the same or will we be ripped off? The London taxi changes will make charging interesting in the future and I fear the EV boris cars will put people off EVs. I used a car club for long distance stuff not short journeys. Taxis are much better for that sort of journey. Who will use them?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
What structure do the French backers of the new - Source London adopt in France with charging? Can we expect the same or will we be ripped off? The London taxi changes will make charging interesting in the future and I fear the EV boris cars will put people off EVs. I used a car club for long distance stuff not short journeys. Taxis are much better for that sort of journey. Who will use them?
You would hope the charges would be comparable to the French ones, but then Chargemaster use an entirely different pricing policy over here, compared to europe!

As for the Boris EV's, I can see a use (shopping at ikea, etc) but it's got a lot of competition from the existing car clubs....

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What are the French charges, out of interest? I'm guessing not a nominal £10/year...

·
Registered
269 Posts
You would hope the charges would be comparable to the French ones, but then Chargemaster use an entirely different pricing policy over here, compared to europe!

As for the Boris EV's, I can see a use (shopping at ikea, etc) but it's got a lot of competition from the existing car clubs....
The ikea trips require a good boot for flat packed furniture to fit. I would hire a Zipcar Golf or Zipcar Van in the past. Now Avis own them the price is crazy. I can't see the Boris EV working. Better to focus on EV Taxis rather than this crazy let's try all things to all people approach and make none of it work for anyone.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I wrote to both Source London and Source East asking about the roaming agreement and got this not very helpful reply from Source London

Dear Mr Bamforth,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the compatibility of your Source East card on Source London charge points.

For the moment, we have a dedicated team currently working on future roaming agreements. We will update our website (www.sourcelondon.net) as soon as we have finalised these agreements.

We also recommend that you contact Source East as they may have additional information concerning this matter.

Kind Regards,
Source London customer service team​

and this from Source East.

Thank you for your email,

As far as i am aware, the roaming agreement between source east and source london is still active, so you will still be able to use your source east card on source london post

Kind Regards

Simon Liu

Customer Support Manager

POD Point

Tel: 020 7247 4114

Web: www.pod-point.com

as for what will happen in January, I don't think anyone, including Source East and Source London, knows.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Has anyone heard what the new pricing is for 2015 for Source London? I have emailed them but not sure when I will get a reply. Anyone heard?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm wondering if I should get a card for a fiver before January, in case they decide to offer existing users a better deal than new ones.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
If you get a card now I believe it is only valid to 31 December 2014.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Exactly, but if it gave you some kind of discount come January it would be worth it... I have a feeling the new pricing scheme is going to be silly. Usual "thanks for building the infrastructure with your tax money, now we'll use it to fleece you as much as possible" deal we are so fond of in the UK.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm wondering if I should get a card for a fiver before January, in case they decide to offer existing users a better deal than new ones.
I agree it a tough call. I would hate to miss out for a fiver but not advertIzing what the new pricing is which is only 25 days away is poor form.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I'd be more inclined to spend a tenner on a source east card. If you take a year's membership with roaming to source london you would have a good case for expecting it to roam for a whole year ....

·
Registered
604 Posts
... but not advertIzing what the new pricing is which is only 25 days away is poor form.
Why don't these companies get it? Why don't they understand that people need to budget, and need to plan their lives, further ahead than today?

Chargemaster announced their pricing this year only 6 weeks beforehand. Then quietly changed it. Then didn't even have a website holding page live by the launch day of chargeable usage. Then took weeks to put the app in place.

One thing the Chancellor has got right is publishing BIK rates 3-4 years in advance. It was that certainty that made me take an EV - my employer and I could both budget for the life of the lease.

The same should be possible (roughly) for the fuel.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts