Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a source London charger near a shop I needed to go to - was handy because it’s free parking if you’re charging so a good tactic. But I picked 7kw and had to use my own cable - PITA getting it out of the bag and connecting within the 2 min countdown and it’s raining

it had a cable on the left - is that usable for any car? Would have been convenient just to avoid getting my cable wet. Don’t care if it’s slower as I don’t need lots of electricity

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq 38 2016 Leaf 30 gone
157 Posts
Found a source London charger near a shop I needed to go to - was handy because it’s free parking if you’re charging so a good tactic. But I picked 7kw and had to use my own cable - PITA getting it out of the bag and connecting within the 2 min countdown and it’s raining

it had a cable on the left - is that usable for any car? Would have been convenient just to avoid getting my cable wet. Don’t care if it’s slower as I don’t need lots of electricity
I live in London so am a regular user of Source London over the last 5 years. The type 1 tethered cable has been a mainstay of their chargers for as long as I can remember, it harks back to the early Leaf. They added 2 new chargers locally to me recently and still use the type 1 tethered cable and type 2 socket arrangement, the new chargers are 22kW capable though whereas the older original ones are not.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - So is the built in cable AC? The website gave me a choice of 3 or 7kw so I guess the 3kw is more like 2.4kw AC?

good to know for future use depending how long I’ll be there and how much charge I need

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq 38 2016 Leaf 30 gone
157 Posts
Thanks - So is the built in cable AC? The website gave me a choice of 3 or 7kw so I guess the 3kw is more like 2.4kw AC?

good to know for future use depending how long I’ll be there and how much charge I need
Yes the type 1 tethered cable is 3kW only, the type 2 socket is 7kW or 22kW AC on the newer chargers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts