Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after less than a year to be exact 4 months into my £5 yearly subscription I get a email saying that it's due to expire December 31st 2016. And now expect to pay £4 per month and wait for it a further 3.6p per minute so on a 3kw you going to pay almost double based over 100mile more than disel( please calculate waiting time too)

I think source london you need to look at your service with I've 50% of your charge points not working and only 3kw charge you just not at the level to charge that ridiculous costs.

Ecotricity charging too £6 a charge, pod point too and final Tesla too... as it's stands this is why fuels like diesel and petrol will still be cheaper than clean energy like electricity. It's a joke a complete monopoly and it makes me sick!

Good luck source london and take you stupid monthly charge and ..... :)

It's become a complete rip off to own a electric vehicle because of fat cats like source london

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So after less than a year to be exact 4 months into my £5 yearly subscription I get a email saying that it's due to expire December 31st 2016. And now expect to pay £4 per month and wait for it a further 3.6p per minute so on a 3kw you going to pay almost double based over 100mile more than disel( please calculate waiting time too)

I think source london you need to look at your service with I've 50% of your charge points not working and only 3kw charge you just not at the level to charge that ridiculous costs.

Ecotricity charging too £6 a charge, pod point too and final Tesla too... as it's stands this is why fuels like diesel and petrol will still be cheaper than clean energy like electricity. It's a joke a complete monopoly and it makes me sick!

It's become a complete rip off to own a electric vehicle because of fat cats like source london
Here's a another one 3kw never worked in 3months absolute rip off

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been using my subscription for a couple of years now, generally happy enough although I have to travel about 1/2/ mile to get to my closest charge point. The issue for me as a plug in hybrid driver that doesn't have to pay to park at my closest points is that this is now more expensive than petrol, I will end up paying £8.64 to power me for 25 miles, even at it's worst I get 45mpg out of my petrol engine, so the 25 miles will use up about 1/2 gallon of fuel which at current prices will cost me about £2.50 I'm hugely disincentivised to continue using their service, very disappointed with the change and just hoping that they will change their pricing model again soon

·
Registered
3 Posts

I agree. i use the NCP in North Greenwich which is an expwnsice commuter day car park and use their new type 2 chargers for my mercedes c350e. i got the new details through and was pretty shocked. first of all you cannot book spaces at the ncp as its first come first serve for all cars including ice cars. and second my charges will go up from a current £5 membership to £4 a month plus the small matter of approx £25 to stay plugged in during the day. plus i will need to pay the standard ncp charge which is 11.20 a day so about 36.20 a day. pay that will mean i get to do about 13 miles on electric to get me most of the way home. It just makes no sense. These 4 shiney new expensive were obviously a big investment for the company but now they will become expensive car park decoration as they wont be used. so source london if your watching and are wondering if i will renew and move onto the new scheme, well i think you know my answer.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Just recently every Source London post I have used has been down. One on Brentford High Street I have been using regularly since last August has stopped and is showing red leds. So much for free charging until the end of the year. I'm certainly not paying £4 a month plus whatever charges when I don't even know if the posts are usable.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Since SourceLondon was sold and has said it is to put the prices up, probably to clear spaces for the electric hire car fleet, those with Plug-in hybrids will be forced into polluting London. It might help to write to your London MP and the Mayor's office to point out that with the new regime of charges you will be forced to burn petrol to travel in London as its far cheaper to pollute than run emission free.
As to visitors to London - well that is just silly, no one is paying £48 a year to visit once or twice. So I do not know what happens there.

I'm outside and visit now and again - in future on fuel once the electrons are finished. I've already written.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,626 Posts
As to visitors to London - well that is just silly, no one is paying £48 a year to visit once or twice. So I do not know what happens there.
Easy. Park for free in Westminster, and rapid charge on the way in. Or save 2-3 hours and use the train! Source London will not be getting anything from me if they carry on the way they are.

·
2,626 Posts
no rapid charger:cry:
Really? I'd have thought St Albans was well within the Chargemaster home area :( unlucky...

What about London Gateway? Or there is a Nissan dealer with a rapid in Edgware?

·
Registered
756 Posts
I live in London and have a home charger. I've told SL that I am not renewing my membership, £48 for the 1 or 2 charges that I use per year is just too much ( + charging cost). Who ever dreamt up this charging structure didn't think it through. Virtually all of the chargers in London are SL so you can't even charge somewhere else. In the area where I live and work (West London) there have been virtually no additional chargers installed in the last couple of years. They have added chargers in central London but not in the suburbs.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Really? I'd have thought St Albans was well within the Chargemaster home area :( unlucky...
What about London Gateway? Or there is a Nissan dealer with a rapid in Edgware?
I think Spiny means his car doesn't support rapid charging. Ampera has 3kW charging max, so you're looking at appx 10 miles range for every 1 hour of charging. As that's going to cost about £2, this means appx £8 per gallon petrol equivalent, or thereabouts. Sadly Ampera wasn't designed with a fast charger in, otherwise they'd be far more popular & sought-after now. When I drive into London, I keep my 45 mile range for the in-city bit, and use petrol outside. Simples. Wouldn't want to run one if I lived in London & had no home-charger or 13A socket facility though.
The prev owner of my car lived in terrace house in Wimbledon, no charger, and averaged 56 mpg over 3 years! Probably 70% petrol mileage, and bought to avoid congestion charge fees despite congesting.

·
2,626 Posts
I think Spiny means his car doesn't support rapid charging. Ampera has 3kW charging max, so you're looking at appx 10 miles range for every 1 hour of charging. As that's going to cost about £2, this means appx £8 per gallon petrol equivalent, or thereabouts. Sadly Ampera wasn't designed with a fast charger in, otherwise they'd be far more popular & sought-after now. When I drive into London, I keep my 45 mile range for the in-city bit, and use petrol outside. Simples. Wouldn't want to run one if I lived in London & had no home-charger or 13A socket facility though.
The prev owner of my car lived in terrace house, no charger, and averaged 56 mpg over 3 years! Probably 70% petrol mileage, and bought to avoid congestion charge fees despite congesting.
Oh, I see!

Isn't that the point of PHEVs though - you do the longer distance bit on fossil fuels and keep the battery for urban work? I thought that was the whole point! If you want to do the whole trip on battery, that's what BEVs and REXs are for...?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are these calculations correct?

At 7kw:

car gets 7kwh/hr at a cost of (full membership) £2.16 which is 30.86p per kwh

(instant) £3.54 which is 50.57p per kwh

(PAYG) £4.60 which is 60p per kwh

At 3kw:

car gets 3kwh/hr at a cost of (full membership) £2.16 which is 72p per kwh

(instant) £3.54 which is £1.18 per kwh

(PAYG) £4.60 which is £1.53p per kwh

Compared to the Shell Recharge station on Whitechapel Road (charge 39p per kwh - no extra fees) this seems very steep indeed.

This can't possibly be right, can it?

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
I used SL a few times in Ampera as was able to park in convenient location while meeting friends for dinner. Costs was similar to nearby parking garage and I got a few kWh, despite only 3kW capable.

I haven't used them in Zoe (over past year) as have managed to find Polar Plus ones. Got 3 hours of free parking and a low cost charge in our Model 3 steps away from Strand last Saturday. We were at a matinee show :) and then went to party in East London.

·
2,626 Posts
So by their own logic, they should give a discount to blue badge holders? :) Yeah thought not!
A blue badge is not an entitlement to free parking - it is simply an entitlement to use Disabled parking bays. It just so happens that in many cases the charge is waived for them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts