Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so wound up at gatwick the other day and they have EV charging on the 3rd floor of carpark 5.... which is nice. So I swiped my card, jacked the car in and away I went. (side note: Gatwick give you 4 hours free if you park and charge). Came back to a note on my windscreen to say that my car had been beeping loudly for some time and was annoying the valet parking people. Which impressed me some.

Got in and the screen said charging interrupted and gave a bunch of reasons, the car had about 60% charge. Got out again, went to the bollard of power to get my cable back, swiped my card and no response. I tried the card in various positions but nothing. There is a phone number on the thing so I called that only to wind up with a recorded message! So, I was on my way to the boot to get my handy crowbar so I could retrieve my charging cable, when one of the car park dudes wanders over and tells me that I'm not the first and it happens quite often. Apparently the charging point only works for a few hours, then just cuts the power. He also pointed out that it had a small screen on the top which I hadn't noticed before (its well recessed and dimly lit). Swiping my card again returns the message "You cannot use this point until 04:21". Well, its about 04:10 so I decide not to modify the thing just yet and give it another chance to give up my cable, I've got to go to the packing reception to get my 4 free hours back anyway. Upon my return, swiping the card gives the message "insert cable and close door to begin charging" even though my cable is still in - brilliant. Regardless, I remove it and away I go with my 60% charge.

Overall, I'd give source london, errm, 5 out of 10. The source london website that I referred to BEFORE charging said nothing about the little screen, nothing about it only working for a few hours, and nothing about not being able to get your cable out. So, 5 points for actually being there, lost 5 for being crap.

Anyone else been here before? Is this a common experience? I dunno, only my second attempt at public charging.

·
Premium Member
11,059 Posts
I have used source London chargers at Westfield overnight and Kings Mall 7 hours with no issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts