Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an occupier of a terraced house I had assumed/hoped that the chargepoints displayed on all the various maps were accessible. Unfortunately as I have discovered, around 75% of the chargers in SE London / NW Kent are either non-functioning or non-existent. Often the few remaining real chargepoints are 'ICEd'.

Is this an isolated, extreme example or is this about par for the course in the rest of the country?

Who is to blame for this shocking state of affairs?

I suggest we start naming and shaming the various network providers, private companies and local councils in order to get something done about it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wickes Charlton - has a chargepoint in the carpark which appears to be switched on but no one knows which network it is on...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tesco Woolwich - 6 podpoint chargepoints which according to the manager have never been switched on. Tesco claims they are not responsible for them, and podpoint are unable to find any details on their system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Woolwich Academy, Durkan Group. A classic case of 'greenwash' - podpoint chargers never been switched on. Shows on all the maps as active. It is not in anyones interest to update the maps to remove them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Royal Arsenal Woolwich, Berkeley Group - source london are no longer servicing these. Last time i was there neither charger worked.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Asda Charlton - chargepoints working but the spaces are usually occupied by asda employees - the manager refuses to do anything about it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Par for the course andrew, not enough time or space to list all the non functioning source london points but the one in west ham lane e15 annoys me as i have never found it working, westwood cross shopping centre in Thanet proudly told me about 6 months ago they had had 2 points installed but they have remained fenced off ever since.
You could ask your local authority if they will install a public point in your street using the OLEV funding ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Par for the course andrew, not enough time or space to list all the non functioning source london points but the one in west ham lane e15 annoys me as i have never found it working, westwood cross shopping centre in Thanet proudly told me about 6 months ago they had had 2 points installed but they have remained fenced off ever since.
You could ask your local authority if they will install a public point in your street using the OLEV funding ?
Thanks yes i have been in communication with Greenwich council for about 6 months... no luck so far.

·
Registered
Kona SE
964 Posts
Welcome to the world of EV ownership. There are good times and bad times and it sound like your first experiences have been tending towards the latter.

The maps rely on user updates. The data on Source London or Pod Point is often out of date but often this is because a point in unused or there is no data feedback from the charge point. It is only user input that creates updates.

I try to log defective points with the operators where possible. I would encourage others to do the same.

Always remember the rule of customer service. If time/cost spent dealing with complaints outweighs the time/cost spent rectifying the problem then usually action is taken. I don't know any companies' that have a policy of rewarding apathy.

Keep bending their ears.:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the world of EV ownership. There are good times and bad times and it sound like your first experiences have been tending towards the latter.

The maps rely on user updates. The data on Source London or Pod Point is often out of date but often this is because a point in unused or there is no data feedback from the charge point. It is only user input that creates updates.

I try to log defective points with the operators where possible. I would encourage others to do the same.

Always remember the rule of customer service. If time/cost spent dealing with complaints outweighs the time/cost spent rectifying the problem then usually action is taken. I don't know any companies' that have a policy of rewarding apathy.

yes most companies care because disgruntled customers affect their profits. However in the case of these publicly funded enterprises the money is dished out in the form of grants with absolutely no oversight at all. Croneyism and wastefulness are the name of the game when it comes to companies like pod point and source london.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Asda Charlton - chargepoints working but the spaces are usually occupied by asda employees - the manager refuses to do anything about it.
UPDATE 1st DECEMBER 2014

The Asda in belvedere has now put up a proper sign advising that the spaces are only for EVs - cones have been placed in each bay to stop unauthorized parking. Well done Asda!

·
Registered
Kona SE
964 Posts
UPDATE 1st DECEMBER 2014

The Asda in belvedere has now put up a proper sign advising that the spaces are only for EVs - cones have been placed in each bay to stop unauthorized parking. Well done Asda!
One down:) 500 to go:( and then we'll get London powered up. If that had anything to do with your approach then thanks on behalf of the EV community:cool:.
It shows as in-use now at 20:45pm so if it is not you then word has got around. I note it is Chargemaster operated. Do you use card or app? I only had the app but I have had one failure to connect and one failure to disconnect with it.

If it is a regular visit for you you might want to get the manager to add it to Zap-Map. Draw in some extra customers...;)
Always good for a new store. Of course, any of us could add it ourselves but why waste an opportunity of drawing someone new into the EV world. The more she understand our dependence on little things like keeping bays available the better it will be for all. Who knows, she may end up as a future director steering company policy;).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sorry it was the asda in Charlton that put the signs up, not Belvedere... not sure if it was anything to do with my pestering them but who knows?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Andrew, keep telling it as it is, the cars are really great, the public charging infrastructure is testiment to our politicians being in the pockets of the highest bidders. They do everything for political capital, once the PR machine has delivered on new infrastructure photo shots, they don't give a toss if the expensive tax payer funded posts fail to deliver anything:)

·
Registered
916 Posts

I'd post a tweet whenever I get a successful or unsuccessful charge to ID the charger and the network in question..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts