Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Taking inspiration from @Kevin Sharpe's attitude of rolling up his sleeves to get charging facilities.
I believe the best way to achieve transition is to roll up my sleeves and get on with the work rather than wait for government or anyone else to do this for me :)

Personally, I wish more people would ask these questions of the companies they purchase goods and services from.
I totally agree with him. I believe that us EV owners located in South Wales should be doing the same thing.

This thread is intended to list locations in the South Wales area that have no charging facilities, which would be ideal for these charging facilities we so badly need!

Also listed will be a phone number / email along with a post code. If you feel you would benefit from a charging facility I urge you to contact the relevant number - the more people demand it they may stand up and listen.

I will edit this current post with new locations suggested by members to keep all locations and contact details in one place.

St David's Dewi Sant Cardiff
Bridge Street Arcade
11 St David's Way
Cardiff CF10 2EF
www.stdavidscardiff.com
029 2036 7650
Option 3 - Centre Management
The office is open Monday - Friday 09:00 - 17:30

https://goo.gl/maps/83GbK

Spoke to the Centre Management she thanked for bringing it to her attention that St Davids did not have any charging facilities and other car parks in the area have. She said she would bring it up with management in the next meeting to discuss if it would be possible to install this facility.

Bridgend Designer Outlet
The Derwen
Bridgend, South Wales CF32 9SU
Open today
www.mcarthurglen.com
01656 665700
Hold for customer represenative.

https://goo.gl/maps/2cdem

Spoke to the customer representative. No plans at present, will bring it up with management in the next meeting. Said to email [email protected] , email has now been sent asking are there any plans etc.

Any other locations our fellow South Wales EV members can think of to be added to this list?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tonyrefail, RCT.
Spotted my 2nd leaf in RCT this week. I think his reg was L66 EAF. Wasnt one of your customers was it? :)

Do you mind me adding Cwmbran shopping center to the list?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't have time to follow this up now but will do as I have family there but - anywhere in Newport? they are now billing themselves as a large and "happening" city but don't seem to have any chargers at all. I vaguely remember they had a bolshy councilor that liked to make waves so would be a good one to contact. Will be up there next week so will ask for more info from family.
Remembered the name - Paul Flynn

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
whenever I have to park in St Davids 2 car park I'm always irked by the lack of charging facilities... especially when it costs 2.70 per hour to park in there.

Good work Dean.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure if there is anyone free on Friday this week, but Cwmbran shopping are hosting a sustainability event, which we are attending with one of our demo leaf cars. would like to meet some of the local members and see if I can provide any help and assistance to them.
Ah gutted I would have popped in and made a visit but am gonna be in Glastonbury rolling in the mud.

If something like this pops up again I will pay a visit.

St Davids isn't that bad for parking charges. 3 hours is £4. Every hour on top is £1 extra. After 5pm it costs just £2 all night.

Yes I have noticed the NCP chargemaster car spots are iced. But I never Park in the NCP as they are too expensive. Except for the one opposite the Glamorgan university atrium.

I am in the process of getting in touch with every council in the South Wales area. Asking in the main what are their plans for us EV drivers. I will update the first post with any news.

Bridgend designer outlet has emailed me back saying they have got in touch with their estates manager and will email me back with some news on the outcome.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hi,

I was down in Pemrokeshire last week, discussing EV charging there.

Some progress was made but still a few conversations and meetings to be had.

We potentially have a location in Kilgetty and may be one in St Clears, so that should help open up the currently nigh-impossible county of Pembrokeshire.

Mark

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent Mark.

Would these be rapid chargers or 6.6kw units?

It's a shame the rapid chargers end in West Swansea. If Carmarthenshire Council or the Welsh assembly government invested in two or three more locations further West that would basically mean the whole of South Wales would be covered by rapids on the main A roads and motorways going as far as St Davids.

The next step to link up the major towns in mid Wales to then link up with the North Wales RCN.

20 x rapids and also 2 x 22kw AC at each location so 44 in total. £25k roughly at each location.

£500k to make the whole of Wales possible to travel using zero emissions. Sounds good to me.

Come on Edwina, just do it.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
please do. all I would ask is if people could not barrage them with emails and calls. its moving forward nicely and we have a Zoe owner on side who works there so it will happen.

other suggestions

1. Cardiff bus Park and ride
2. Talbot green retail park
3. Ebbw Vale festival park

with some of these suggestions I am of course happy to help and try to get a bit of manufacturer backing, I just have to be careful about crossing boundaries with other dealers.

Nissan now have a dedicated area manager specifically for leaf so where I am crossing boundaries, I will get him involved to give other dealers a gentle nudge.
The problem with Talbot green is that it's ALWAYS busy with free car parking spaces very hard to get on the weekend, so they will be constantly ICED.

I will send an email nevertheless, worth a try.

Ebbw Vale festival Park is another one worth emailing and Cardiff bus Park and ride. Will update the first post when I receive a reply.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Can't help for next few weeks (but can afterwards) cause have contacts at Swansea, Neath port Talbot , and Cardiff council. I know Swansea and Neath port Talbot are pro EV movement and in process of changing their cars / vans to EV and looking at installing EV chargers.

For good charging points install I can think off the top of my head that not mentioned already.

Aberavon shopping centre in port Talbot. (Know the shopping centre manager
Porthcawl - hi-tide (know the owner)
Neath - new car park being built (council - think it has to have EV chargers cause new car park being installed?)
Swansea - LC2 (council)
Mcdolands.
Sainsburys - Swansea & Cardiff

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok just to update.

St. David's 2 - sent an email to the facilities manager, no reply.

Merthyr shopping centre on Facebook - no reply.

Talbot green shopping centre on Twitter - "would certainly put 'green' into Talbot Green but have no plans.

Mccarthur Glen Bridgend - No plans, questions about how many people would benefit from these facilities and also they are not sure whether they have the necessary facilities to install it(rubbish).

Parc tawe - no reply

Emailed a few hotels around South Wales also - no reply except for coed y mystwr, which showed a mild interest but never replied to my 2nd email.

Let's just say it's going slowly...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I emailed the Vale Hotel but they said they have no plans. Shame really as its a very nice location.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Taking inspiration from @Kevin Sharpe's attitude of rolling up his sleeves to get charging facilities.

I totally agree with him. I believe that us EV owners located in South Wales should be doing the same thing.

This thread is intended to list locations in the South Wales area that have no charging facilities, which would be ideal for these charging facilities we so badly need!

Also listed will be a phone number / email along with a post code. If you feel you would benefit from a charging facility I urge you to contact the relevant number - the more people demand it they may stand up and listen.

I will edit this current post with new locations suggested by members to keep all locations and contact details in one place.

St David's Dewi Sant Cardiff
Bridge Street Arcade
11 St David's Way
Cardiff CF10 2EF
www.stdavidscardiff.com
029 2036 7650
Option 3 - Centre Management
The office is open Monday - Friday 09:00 - 17:30

https://goo.gl/maps/83GbK

Spoke to the Centre Management she thanked for bringing it to her attention that St Davids did not have any charging facilities and other car parks in the area have. She said she would bring it up with management in the next meeting to discuss if it would be possible to install this facility.

Bridgend Designer Outlet
The Derwen
Bridgend, South Wales CF32 9SU
Open today
www.mcarthurglen.com
01656 665700
Hold for customer represenative.

https://goo.gl/maps/2cdem

Spoke to the customer representative. No plans at present, will bring it up with management in the next meeting. Said to email [email protected] , email has now been sent asking are there any plans etc.

Any other locations our fellow South Wales EV members can think of to be added to this list?
You probably already know but there is a ecotricity charger at services near Bridgend designer outlet. :)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool we must pass each other on the M4 because I commute to Port Talbot (Baglan Energy Park)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Talking about asking for charging points, I have both emailed and tweeted Neath & Port Talbot council for a EV charging point in thier new leisure centre development. Got a response on twitter but not email, but very vague.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've tried to get something installed at Dare Valley Country Park, mostly for selfish reasons (my sister lives not far from there and doesn't have offstreet parking) but they didn't seem interested. I made the approach via my sister (who works there) but may pop up there and have a discussion, if I can find somewhere close enough to Aberdare to charge! I still haven't visited my family there since I've had the car, just nowhere to charge (and a few hours at the ASDA in Merthyr does not count!).

Unfortunately I left s Wales back in the late 80's and have nothing but familial contacts there so don't know who to talk to re: Cynon Valley. I think a Renault dealership there has a charger though.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.