Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Had my New Leaf for just over 3 weeks now and planning to do the first long journey very soon.

It will be from South Wales CF72 to Leeds/Bradford BD12 (250 Miles each way).

Has anyone tried this route before? Also not sure of how mnay times shall I use the rapid charge- is 4 too little or is 5/6 too much?

Planning to Take the M4-M5/M6 route as there are plenty of charge options on the way.

Would be greatful for any tips/suggestions.

many thanks
Darpan

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for the reply .

I was thinking of Top ups at Gloucester then Hopwood park (m42) then Tornwell (m1) , then woodall (m1)

There are a few more inbetween in case one of these are out of order.

Can I ask you how long did it take to get to lancashire?

Thanks
Darpan

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thanks for the reply .

I was thinking of Top ups at Gloucester then Hopwood park (m42) then Tornwell (m1) , then woodall (m1)

There are a few more inbetween in case one of these are out of order.

Can I ask you how long did it take to get to lancashire?

Thanks
Darpan
We have a 32A Type 2 Socket at our offices just off J29a M1 (in the middle of Tibshelf and Woodall Services) should you need an emergency top up.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Keele not been working for sometime. Stafford North not far south should be. And the dealer at Stoke is, also may give you code for out of hours if you phone ahead. Terrible to get to in rush hour traffic though despite only a few miles.

Personally if not travelling very off peak would try to avoid brum. Perhaps go to Oxford (cross country from Swindon) then cross country to Northampton or Rugby then up the M1 from there to leeds bradford. Though some rapids offline on this route too at Cherwell Valley nr Oxford - at least you have oxford pear tree as well as the near by rapid at waitrose (no card needed). Woodall south too seems to be broken.

Personally have found if I know I have a long leg to come where I will need a full charge it seems to help to get there with half a charge left - half hour to full as opposed to an hour and a half to full from empty.

But these days with more rapids you can probably best do what others have said - stop frequently for short bursts in the 20 to 80% range and have contingency rapids in mind. Ikea / dealer etc.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much Steve. Would bank Holiday saturday afternoon be clased as off peak? :)))

Keele not been working for sometime. Stafford North not far south should be. And the dealer at Stoke is, also may give you code for out of hours if you phone ahead. Terrible to get to in rush hour traffic though despite only a few miles.

Personally if not travelling very off peak would try to avoid brum. Perhaps go to Oxford (cross country from Swindon) then cross country to Northampton or Rugby then up the M1 from there to leeds bradford. Though some rapids offline on this route too at Cherwell Valley nr Oxford - at least you have oxford pear tree as well as the near by rapid at waitrose (no card needed). Woodall south too seems to be broken.

Personally have found if I know I have a long leg to come where I will need a full charge it seems to help to get there with half a charge left - half hour to full as opposed to an hour and a half to full from empty.

But these days with more rapids you can probably best do what others have said - stop frequently for short bursts in the 20 to 80% range and have contingency rapids in mind. Ikea / dealer etc.
Thanks a lot @ste

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Funnily enough...the one time I would feel hopeful driving through Birmingham is a Saturday afternoon. Several hundred thousand people at football stadiums takes quite a load off the motorways from 2 ish! Worked for me every time....no guarantees on uk roads though!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I picked my car up in Halifax, which is not far from Leeds. Drove it home to South Wales which was 280 miles.

The route I took was the M4/M5/M42/M1

The reason I took this route was that there was more rapids along this route (which were working).

I would recommended this route anyway as its still the case really.

Tips I would give is do not try and drive further than 60 miles between each rapid unless you really have to.
Keep speed down to 60mph max.
Rapid charge to 80-85% if you have less than 60 miles to the next rapid. It really is slow when you go above this rate so you would be better off moving on to the next rapid and charge again when your % is lower.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
I picked my car up in Halifax, which is not far from Leeds. Drove it home to South Wales which was 280 miles.

The route I took was the M4/M5/M42/M1

The reason I took this route was that there was more rapids along this route (which were working).

I would recommended this route anyway as its still the case really.

Tips I would give is do not try and drive further than 60 miles between each rapid unless you really have to.
Keep speed down to 60mph max.
Rapid charge to 80-85% if you have less than 60 miles to the next rapid. It really is slow when you go above this rate so you would be better off moving on to the next rapid and charge again when your % is lower.
Good advice. I do similar in my Zoe only I rapid up to 90% without any noticeable slowing. I then drive in 50-60 mile legs which leaves enough to jump to the next rapid if there's a problem (or it's busy). Stopping at a 7kW is last resort stuff when on a long journey.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank all. @Dean Hamer I was also planning to take the m4/m5/m42/m1 route as it has got more charging options. Will post updates after the journey. How long did your journey from Halifax took to complete?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Thank all. @Dean Hamer I was also planning to take the m4/m5/m42/m1 route as it has got more charging options. Will post updates after the journey. How long did your journey from Halifax took to complete?
I left Halifax around 3pm and I got home about 11pm.

But I had to contend with torrential rainfall and very very heavy wind. Wasn't fun! So economy was drastically impacted.

I got to Michael Wood (south) services on turtle, and the car died on me as I pulled in. Luckily I could see the charger 100 meters in front of me, so my girlfriend jumped into the drivers seat and put it into neural while I pushed the car to the charger.

Thank god it was on a slight downhill, and 2 kind guys helped me to push it towards the charger haha. That will teach me for trusting the guessometer and finishing the charge early on 83% at Hopwood (Birmingham). GOM said 80 miles remaining, I had 64 miles to next rapid so I decided I have plenty of juice - Wrong!

Haven't done the same mistake again. But it was a good learning experience on my first day of EV ownership lol.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Also in total for that journey I done 5 x 80ish% rapid and one 10mins rapid in Magor.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I left Halifax around 3pm and I got home about 11pm.

But I had to contend with torrential rainfall and very very heavy wind. Wasn't fun! So economy was drastically impacted.

I got to Michael Wood (south) services on turtle, and the car died on me as I pulled in. Luckily I could see the charger 100 meters in front of me, so my girlfriend jumped into the drivers seat and put it into neural while I pushed the car to the charger.

Thank god it was on a slight downhill, and 2 kind guys helped me to push it towards the charger haha. That will teach me for trusting the guessometer and finishing the charge early on 83% at Hopwood (Birmingham). GOM said 80 miles remaining, I had 64 miles to next rapid so I decided I have plenty of juice - Wrong!

Haven't done the same mistake again. But it was a good learning experience on my first day of EV ownership lol.
@Dean Hamer wow turtle mode on the first day! Very brave!! Also how do you put leaf in neutral?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
@Dean Hamer wow turtle mode on the first day! Very brave!! Also how do you put leaf in neutral?
Yes I definitely had range anxiety on my first day. I kept my speed down to 55mph but the weather really affected my economy so bad. Car was getting blown from lane to lane.

Wasn't a good idea to pick up my car on this day. http://www.weatherforecast.co.uk/blog/uk-storm-14th-february-2014-80mph-gales-heavy-rain-expected-south/

To select neutral hold the mouse (drive selector) to the right and hold it there for a second or two.

You will see N on the dash. This will disengage the drive and the car will free wheel.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I definitely had range anxiety on my first day. I kept my speed down to 55mph but the weather really affected my economy so bad. Car was getting blown from lane to lane.

Wasn't a good idea to pick up my car on this day. http://www.weatherforecast.co.uk/blog/uk-storm-14th-february-2014-80mph-gales-heavy-rain-expected-south/

To select neutral hold the mouse (drive selector) to the right and hold it there for a second or two.

You will see N on the dash. This will disengage the drive and the car will free wheel.
Useful to know. Thanks very much for that :))

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Well done. I always play safe on long trips too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts