Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello this is my first post lol Ive just bought a brandnew egolf and absolutly love it ,but unfortunatly the dealer forgot
to include the locking wheel key ,breakdown kit and charging cables ,whilst Ive received the charging cables they admitted
they had actually misplaced somehow the wheel key ,after replacing this at their cost Ive decided not go down the route off
an inflation kit and go for a spare wheel or space saver ,Ive read threads on here and theres plenty of space savers on ebay for sale
but which size as most of them have different part numbers I kind of thought it would be the 127/70/16 with a hankook ,has anybody done
and also checked the wheels fits ok ,Ive also ordered the plastic trim part with the cut out for the wheel

·
Registered
35 Posts
Some people fit an 18" wheel but the Audi A3 has a 16" wheel (127/70-16) provided as standard and the running wheels are the same size as the eGolf. I had occasion to use it without problem once with my previous car, the Audi. If you get a 16" wheel you don't need to cut the rear trim or replace it. The 18" wheel has the same theoretical diameter as the 205/55 uncompressed and thus a greater running diameter in use as the space saver hardly compresses. As far as I can see the 16" wheel is a better bet because it will fit without modification. All you need is the plastic screw thing which costs about £10 (I got mine from a Seat dealer).

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
You need to check very carefully what size wheels & tyres are being offered as 'spacesavers' ! When I was looking for a spare wheel for an eUp! a few years ago, many of the combinations offered had a rolling radius amything up to 20% different to the oe ones !

see :-
for the full story.

Perhaps not strictly relevant to the e-Golf but no doubt the same principles apply and I doubt the eBay vendors will have improved their performance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to check very carefully what size wheels & tyres are being offered as 'spacesavers' ! When I was looking for a spare wheel for an eUp! a few years ago, many of the combinations offered had a rolling radius amything up to 20% different to the oe ones !

see :-
for the full story.

Perhaps not strictly relevant to the e-Golf but no doubt the same principles apply and I doubt the eBay vendors will have improved their performance.

yes thats why I asked ,as theres lots of different part numbers ,sizes and from mk5's to mk7's ,somebody will have done this already and have experienced or made the right or wrong choice ,hence I dont want to lol
my instinct just says any 125/70/16 wheel will be fine

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
my instinct just says any 125/70/16 wheel will be fine
Don't rely on instinct ! Calculation is pretty straightforward. I tried to attach my spreadsheet but apparently forum rules don't allow; PM me your email address if you'd like a copy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
what I'm looking for is someone thats done the same !!! I dont need spread sheets lol just someone to say yeah I did that ,got this wheel it
worked great lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
I haven't had to use it yet on the eGolf (touches wood) but as stated above I did have one occasion on the Audi and there was no problem. The Audi was supplied with the 127/70-16 wheel and that is what I've got for the eGolf. The two cars are more or less the same as running gear goes. The only significant difference which I can see is that the eGolf has these strange low rolling resistance tyres which some folk say haven't the grip of a normal tyre and have swapped them for a normal set. I see "cross climates" referred to (and they also don't report much fall in m/KWh). Don't forget that you have to run these space savers at 60psi, which is why their rolling radius won't decrease to the extent a normal one will.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
what I'm looking for is someone thats done the same !!! I dont need spread sheets lol just someone to say yeah I did that ,got this wheel it worked great lol
Afraid my e-Up! experience wouldn't be a great deal of help to you but never underestimate the power of mathematics.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I've got the 18" space saver and have used it 2 or 3 times with no issues. From memory I bought that one as the rolling diameter is the same as the OEM16" alloys.
Others have gone for the 16" space saver and I'm sure one or two members have used it without problems. The suspension takes up any difference I have read and as it is only a temporary measure it works. 16" fits in the boot without having to cut the plastic trim and other accesoraries might fit in the bottom section easier with a smaller wheel in there

·
Registered
132 Posts
I got the 18 inch spare to be sure there weren’t any brake or suspension clearance issues. I have not used it yet. I did need to use my Dremel tool to cut the plastic trim so the spare fits in the wheel well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm looking to get a space saver for my A3 E-tron. My car has 225 40 18 tyres so i wondered what size i needed. I found a site that calculates the rolling radius. (willtheyfit.com) I've just put in your tyre size 205 55 16 and its coming back with a radius of 631.9mm A 125 70 16 space saver is 581.4mm quite a difference. I think it would be best to go for a 18" space saver 125 70 18 with a 632.2mm radius

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm looking to get a space saver for my A3 E-tron. My car has 225 40 18 tyres so i wondered what size i needed. I found a site that calculates the rolling radius. (willtheyfit.com) I've just put in your tyre size 205 55 16 and its coming back with a radius of 631.9mm A 125 70 16 space saver is 581.4mm quite a difference. I think it would be best to go for a 18" space saver 125 70 18 with a 632.2mm radius
thats great info thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts