Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there are members who have purchased the optional MG HS "Space Saver" wheel & tyre kit for there ZS EV's.
We would both feel reassured by the fact that we have a spare wheel in the boot, for times of an emergency.
Our previous plugin hybrid could not offer the facility of a carrying a spare wheel, unless we sacrificed about 60% of our boot space just so we could carry a spare around.
We where only really fortunate & lucky that in the four years of ownership, we never received a puncture.
The lack of a spare wheel always played heavy on the back of my mind.
Therefore, if the MG ZS EV has the ability to carry a spare, then why would you not have one I guess ????.
I was not aware until last week, that most recovery services will only attend a puncture on your car, IF you have a useable and legal spare wheel to inter change with !.
So, after that bit of "Rambling" - Is somebody please willing to answer few questions regarding this subject, I would be very grateful for your time in responding.
The current standard factory supplied foam layout under the boot floor, appears to consists of compartments cut out for the inflation pump, tyre repair fluid and a space in the foam for the MG supplied "Granny" unit and the optional Type 2 public charging cable.
This all fits nice and neatly, thank you very much MG.
BUT :-
1) When you purchase the "Space Saver" kit at around £210 - Does it come in the same type of pre-cut foam inlay to make the change over quick and easy between the two kits ?.
2) Is there a cut out for the "Granny" to be stored ?. ( I guess the answer to this question is likely to be NO because the kit being used for the ZS EV was taken from the old HS fossil model I believe ? )
3) If the answer is indeed NO to question 2, then where do store your "Granny" cable and your Type 2 cable then ?.
4) To store the Space Saver, metal scissor jack & handle, wheel brace and your other "Bits and Bob's" are you then forced into raising the height of the boot floor cover to accommodate all of the extra bits and pieces ?.

I REALLY REALLY want the facility to carry a spare wheel, but I am more than a little concerned that under the boot cover could end up looking like a bit of a "Rat's Nest or Dog's Diner" of a mess to gain this feature !.
I understand that almost everything can be a compromise, so that is why I am reaching out to find what others members have found with regards to this problem.

Thank you in advance of your comments regarding my dilemma.

·
Premium Member
11,304 Posts
I doubt the EV version is type approved for the space saver kit - have you checked with dealer? It is a heavy car so a scissor jack isn't a great idea either.

Reactions: Haz

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
It's a tad over 1500kg - the scissor jack is adequate.

The HS is a heavier car - the wheel will be fine.

I had a space-saver* which fitted under the boot floor and still had room for cables beneath the removable boot floor.

The boot is a good size, and I use public chargers frequently so I keep my type 2 cable in the boot anyway.

* the original space saver had the wrong stud spacing (ZSEV is 5x112 - ICE ZS is 5x105 I think) so I got a refund. Haven't forked out for the MG approved spare yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I put the polystyrene insert in the shed, took all the bits it contained and wrapped each in a piece of bubble wrap and then stored them in the space around the spare wheel toward the rear of the boot. There is still loads of room under the boot divider to store cables / charger. I will tidy up this area further with a few lidded slimline plastic containers for storing a few more travel essentials.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
has anyone tried to put some sort of tray under the bonnet to make a Froot or Frunk?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I know there are members who have purchased the optional MG HS "Space Saver" wheel & tyre kit for there ZS EV's.
We would both feel reassured by the fact that we have a spare wheel in the boot, for times of an emergency.
Our previous plugin hybrid could not offer the facility of a carrying a spare wheel, unless we sacrificed about 60% of our boot space just so we could carry a spare around.
We where only really fortunate & lucky that in the four years of ownership, we never received a puncture.
Therefore, if the MG ZS EV has the ability to carry a spare, then why would you not have one I guess ????.
I was not aware until last week, that most recovery services will only attend a puncture on your car, IF you have a useable and legal spare wheel to inter change with !.
So, after that bit of "Rambling" - Is somebody please willing to answer few questions regarding this subject, I would be very grateful for your time in responding.
The current standard factory supplied foam layout under the boot floor, appears to consists of compartments cut out for the inflation pump, tyre repair fluid and a space in the foam for the MG supplied "Granny" unit and the optional Type 2 public charging cable.
1) When you purchase the "Space Saver" kit at around £210 - Does it come in the same type of pre-cut foam inlay to make the change over quick and easy between the two kits ?.
2) Is there a cut out for the "Granny" to be stored ?. ( I guess the answer to this question is likely to be NO because the kit being used for the ZS EV was taken from the old HS fossil model I believe ? )
3) If the answer is indeed NO to question 2, then where do store your "Granny" cable and your Type 2 cable then ?.
4) To store the Space Saver, metal scissor jack & handle, wheel brace and your other "Bits and Bob's" are you then forced into raising the height of the boot floor cover to accommodate all of the extra bits and pieces ?.

I REALLY REALLY want the facility to carry a spare wheel, but I am more than a little concerned that under the boot cover could end up looking like a bit of a "Rat's Nest or Dog's Diner" of a mess to gain this feature !.
I understand that almost everything can be a compromise, so that is why I am reaching out to find what others members have found with regards to this problem.

Hi Carty
i have bought 2x space saver wheels for both my cars on Saturday gone . they do indeed fit the wheel well perfectly and the jack fits inside the spare wheel in foam (which comes with the wheel ) you also get included a bolt and nut to screw down the wheel into the well , there is a pre - tapped hole there for the bolt . explains why some are noticing water in there?
there is no cutout for the granny cable , i keep mine in one of the side compartments in the boot as will have to use it regularly at my caravan.
no the boot floor can still stay at the bottom if you wish.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Carty
i have bought 2x space saver wheels for both my cars on Saturday gone . they do indeed fit the wheel well perfectly and the jack fits inside the spare wheel in foam (which comes with the wheel ) you also get included a bolt and nut to screw down the wheel into the well , there is a pre - tapped hole there for the bolt . explains why some are noticing water in there?
there is no cutout for the granny cable , i keep mine in one of the side compartments in the boot as will have to use it regularly at my caravan.
no the boot floor can still stay at the bottom if you wish.
Thank you @STEVIANK
You have answered my questions perfectly !.
Do you carry a Type 2 public charging cable with you in the car ?.
If so, can this be stored on top of the space saver under the boot floor and still fit the board on its lowest setting then ?.
With my previous car, I use to leave the “Granny” cable hanging on the wall of my garage, then load it into the car when going away.
The current foam lay out has a nice “cut out” in the foam to store your Type 2 cable.
I do like that feature.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thank you @STEVIANK
You have answered my questions perfectly !.
Do you carry a Type 2 public charging cable with you in the car ?.
If so, can this be stored on top of the space saver under the boot floor and still fit the board on its lowest setting then ?.
With my previous car, I use to leave the “Granny” cable hanging on the wall of my garage, then load it into the car when going away.
The current foam lay out has a nice “cut out” in the foam to store your Type 2 cable.
I do like that feature.
No worries !
i do carry the type cable as well for charging at work , i keep that in a clear perspex box in the boot (rains a lot in Northumberland) i will be making a dog divider section to go on top of the boot lid (like i had done on my Kona ev) so will not want to be storing much under there that i need in a rush. i did manage to squeeze in the tyre inflator and the gunk stuff (i know i won't use it but don't want to throw it away)

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No worries !
i do carry the type cable as well for charging at work , i keep that in a clear perspex box in the boot (rains a lot in Northumberland) i will be making a dog divider section to go on top of the boot lid (like i had done on my Kona ev) so will not want to be storing much under there that i need in a rush. i did manage to squeeze in the tyre inflator and the gunk stuff (i know i won't use it but don't want to throw it away)
Thank you once again !.
I have just been on the phone to a local MG dealership.
They had a space saver wheel kit in stock, so I will collect it on Wednesday !.
It was £175.00 plus the dreaded VAT = £210.00 in total.
Another item ticked off the small wish list for our "Red Rocket".
I will leave my bank account get it's breath back a little for a few weeks now, then I would like to get the rear windows and the back windscreen factory percentage film tinted.
This is for when we take out both of the young grand daughters out in the summer time.
The fact that the tinted windows give a fantastic contrast to the Dynamic Red paintwork, has NOTHING to do with it of course !.
"Boys Toys".

·
Registered
92 Posts
I keep my granny in the little nook on one side of the boot. Likewise, the type 2 goes in the other nook.

It's not pretty, but they stay in their respective nets pretty well and it avoids the necessity of lifting the boot floor (plus whatever crap might be on it) whenever I need them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thank you once again !.
I have just been on the phone to a local MG dealership.
They had a space saver wheel kit in stock, so I will collect it on Wednesday !.
It was £175.00 plus the dreaded VAT = £210.00 in total.
Another item ticked off the small wish list for our "Red Rocket".
I will leave my bank account get it's breath back a little for a few weeks now, then I would like to get the rear windows and the back windscreen factory percentage film tinted.
This is for when we take out both of the young grand daughters out in the summer time.
The fact that the tinted windows give a fantastic contrast to the Dynamic Red paintwork, has NOTHING to do with it of course !.
"Boys Toys".
I think i will be getting my rear windows tinted too , i have the sunshades on at the moment , which are a very good fit considering they came from the zs petrol accessories side of things. but would like it a little bit darker.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have purchased the MG ZS EV space saver wheel from my dealer. Yes, its £210.00!

Take the original insert with the granny and emergency tyre repair kit out, fit the spindle (I put a bit of CopperEase on the threads), place the space saver in, and tighten the hand tightener. The wheel stays firmly in place.

The round insert with the jack fits neatly into the original cable storage insert. You can then place the original complete insert on top of the space saver wheel where it sits comfortably without moving. The boot floor panel then sits on the higher position perfectly!

All that is lost therefore is somewhere to place your type two cable but it does look like it could fit in the space round the space saver wheel. Haven't tried that yet as I like to keep the type 2 cable handy without having to lift the boot floor.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
My type 2 cable either lies in a mess on the boot floor, or if I need space in the wee side cubby with netting.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have purchased the MG ZS EV space saver wheel from my dealer. Yes, its £210.00!

Take the original insert with the granny and emergency tyre repair kit out, fit the spindle (I put a bit of CopperEase on the threads), place the space saver in, and tighten the hand tightener. The wheel stays firmly in place.

The round insert with the jack fits neatly into the original cable storage insert. You can then place the original complete insert on top of the space saver wheel where it sits comfortably without moving. The boot floor panel then sits on the higher position perfectly!

All that is lost therefore is somewhere to place your type two cable but it does look like it could fit in the space round the space saver wheel. Haven't tried that yet as I like to keep the type 2 cable handy without having to lift the boot floor.
Hi @RicM
I have done almost the very same thing with my car.
The warning triangle fits nicely behind the space saver when installed.
I also use one of them extendable wheel braces to aid removal of the wheel bolts, that also fits behind the spare wheel.
I have coiled my Type 2 cable around the spare wheel and it’s a great fit !.
By doing this, you can leave the boot floor on the lower setting.
Of course, if you using the cable on a constant daily basis, it can become a bit of a chore winding around the spare all of the time.
But I like the extra space in the boot.
You could put the cable in a cable bag and Velcro to the side of the boot carpet ?.
I can’t be doing with seeing the cable just cluttering up the boot floor !.
It’s a bit of a OCD thing.
The only thing that I don’t carry anymore is the “Granny” unit or the inflation kit.
The “Granny” hangs on the wall of the garage, until we make a trip where there is no charging posts etc.
Have you compared both of the towing eye’s that is supplied with each kit ?.
Remember, the space saver kit is from the old HS model !.
You will find ( don’t get them mixed up ) that the one supplied with the ZS EV is roughly 15mm longer that the eyelet supplied with the HS space saver kit.
Is it that important ?.
I have NO idea, but why make a different towing eye for the sake of 15mm if it was not !.
Maybe it needs the extra clearance to avoid the deeper bumper cover on the EV ????.
P.S. - Don’t forget to move over the plastic tool they give you to remove the plastic covers from the wheel nuts on the EV.
You don’t get one in the HS kit.
Oh .... and your locking wheel nut key ( if you have one ).

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have heard that as well, but my actual experience differs. I clipped a flooded kerb with my C-Zero about a year ago, cutting the tyre. Way beyond a gunk repair. No spare wheel of course. The AA came out and fitted a multi - fitting wheel - it was drilled with a variety of holes to suit various bolt arrangements. He had three of these in his van for different sizes of car. The car was now driveable. He followed me to the local Kwikfit, refitted my flat tyre/wheel, retrieved his magic gadget and off he went. I can't speak for other services but AA has cracked the problem.

That said, I have ordered the spare wheel for our forthcoming ZS. Almost all the disabling punctures (as opposed to slow leaks) that I have had in 45 years driving would have been well beyond a gunk solution. I don't want to be marooned at the roadside in mid-Wales for hours when I could have been on my way in quarter of an hour!

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is a lot of space under the bonnet. Has anybody tried relocating the cables or anything else there? Particuarly after adding the spare wheel to the boot space.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have just had the spare wheel fitted. I coil my charger cable up and keep it behind the netting in the cubby hole in the left of the boot. I have to access it regularly as my home charger does not have a tethered lead.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have just had the spare wheel fitted. I coil my charger cable up and keep it behind the netting in the cubby hole in the left of the boot. I have to access it regularly as my home charger does not have a tethered lead.
That is a fair comment !.
Regular users of the Type 2 charging posts, need easy access to their charging cable.

·
Registered
199 Posts

I ordered my spare wheel kit when I ordered the car.it comes in a round foam container and also has a jack and other tools with it.It all fits neatly in the spare wheel well.The original foam container I put in the recycling container.over the road from my house.I also ordered a fast charging cable which comes in a nice bag with plenty of room for the granny cable and the tyre inflator sits neatly in one of the side pockets in the boot which are quite deep,and you can still higher or lower the boot floor.the cables once put in the bag hardly take much room up.To me not having the charging cables under the boot floor makes it easier to get to when you are out and about and wanting to charge up on your journey with out having to unload the boot to get to it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts