Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well. I was removing everything from the boot, just to see exactly what was in there and how much I could remove. (No spare wheel by the way) in reference to another thread.
I was simply amazed, there is a huge cavity between/below the rear seats and boot trays/floor down to the bare metal of the car floor. What is that about?
Bjorn Nyland might say you could fit a small Asian in the space.
On a serious note. I have folded a King size 13tog quilt up and stuffed it in there to see if it makes the car quieter when moving. The jury is still out on that one but its worth a try.
Who will be first to tell me it's a mod and a fire hazard?
Anyway if you know it's there has anyone done anything similar.
Dan.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If its down to the battery, is there a chance of affecting the battery temperature by putting an insulating quilt on top?

·
Registered
Kona 64
544 Posts
Well. I was removing everything from the boot, just to see exactly what was in there and how much I could remove. (No spare wheel by the way) in reference to another thread.
I was simply amazed, there is a huge cavity between/below the rear seats and boot trays/floor down to the bare metal of the car floor. What is that about?
Bjorn Nyland might say you could fit a small Asian in the space.
On a serious note. I have folded a King size 13tog quilt up and stuffed it in there to see if it makes the car quieter when moving. The jury is still out on that one but its worth a try.
Who will be first to tell me it's a mod and a fire hazard?
Anyway if you know it's there has anyone done anything similar.
Dan.
I put charging cables, warning triangle and other essentials from the boot when lowering the boot floor. As you still have the same space with the boot floor kicking up to its normal heighr.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get rid of the wasteful plastic and, yes, the space is cavernous.
Andy. All the plastic trays are still in the car. But if you remove them and the floor of the boot you will find a void towards the front of the boot. Fill it with what you like then put the floor and the trays back in place.
Dan

·
Registered
383 Posts
The lack of consideration of the underfloor boot space and the frunk space is troubling and indicative of cost savings and/or a rushed design by Hyundai. Few companies would fail to exploit such easy opportunities to add product differentiation.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The lack of consideration of the underfloor boot space and the frunk space is troubling and indicative of cost savings and/or a rushed design by Hyundai. Few companies would fail to exploit such easy opportunities to add product differentiation.
I wonder if that space is where the petrol tank sits in the hybrid versions?

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
If there is a spare wheel I suspect most of this 'free space' will disappear. Mass produced cars are not built for just one market.

There's also the usability of the space. Having a fairly level floor from the sill onto the lowered seats is convenient - grovelling in the depths under the back seats for something is not.

·
Registered
166 Posts
In Hyundai's defence the body is share with the ice and hybrid versions plus they can't make them first enough anyway so I guess it doesn't really matter ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts