Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I recently watched a video that showed removing the rubber liner from the cubby hole on the dash. This has a slot for a key to go in apparently if you lose power to the remote allowing you to start the car. On mine there is a slot but the key just wobbles round obviously not fitting. Anyone any idea what this is supposed to be for?

·
Member of Members
229 Posts
As far as I'm aware, it isn't supposed to be an ignition. It is just supposed to offer a physical connection for the key if it's battery is depleted to the point where keyless no longer works.

·
Premium Member
11,054 Posts
Yes, I think it powers key by induction or some other GM witchcraft.

I assume you saw something like this

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,536 Posts
It's a hole just to physically locate the key in the right spot. It's to try to make it idiot-proof. Maybe it makes people think they are doing something special.

My fob battery went flat a couple of times in the course of ownership, and it is simply a case of putting the fob in the cubby on top of the dash. There really is no need to remove the liner and insert your key there.

I have a theory which is thus; if the average dummy just puts their key there then they'll forget it has a flat cell and will lock it in the car (if you have auto lock on). GM made it so you end up with a flap in your line of vision with a key sticking out of it.

Basically, that area has a strong enough inductive field that it triggers the fob to transmit weakly, directly to the receive antenna which it is then under (it's just behind the mirror). The hole you put the key in is literally a hole, just a hole and nothing but a hole.

·
Premium Member
11,054 Posts
I have a theory which is thus; if the average dummy just puts their key there then they'll forget it has a flat cell and will lock it in the car (if you have auto lock on).
I would be that dummy - except after locking a (good cell) key in car twice (once in bag on back seat, once in bag in boot) I now do not have passive locking enabled :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I used the hole in the dash recently when the stupid car couldn't see the key.
You just stick it in the hole and it works.
Battery is OK so I guess it threw a wobbly as ever.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Does the hole on the lip of the boot release do the same thing for unlocking the boot if the key fob battery is dead?

·
Registered
58 Posts
yeah thats defo just a drain hole
Oddly it's one of the first things I noticed when I first looked around the car when I was buying it, and wondered straight away if the key fit in there as I had seen the Volt video when someone puts a key in the hole in the dash, which looked like the same shape! It's been in the back of my mind ever since but I can never get myself to bother taking the battery out of my key fob to check!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Somewhere on here (or maybe a Volt forum) there was a procedure for programming a new key (but you had to have two working ones) which involved using that hole.

I tried it and it didn't work. I have had an unprogrammed key on my desk for months now.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,536 Posts
I don't think advice for the US Volt system can be used for Ampera. Different frequencies tends to imply different hardware, thus different software.

I think someone here has actually managed to get a spare fob working, though, search deep I think there is a thread here somewhere.

·
Registered
399 Posts
This thread was the one I based my key purchase and re-programming process on.

New key fobs - can you program them yourself?

Must admit I gave up fairly quickly, as I already have two keys, but it'd be good to get the new one working too. I have had it cut already at the locksmith. I'll have another fiddle with it over the festive break and report back.

·
On a journey....
74 Posts
I went through the process of getting another key sorted as I only had one with the car.
I quickly gave up on the US method as it just didn't work (for me at least!).
Ebay provided a new replica fob at the correct frequency (433hZ?) and I managed to get it programmed by Vauxhall for about £65.00.
Once programmed, a local locksmith eventually agreed to cut it for me - apparently their machines can determine whether the key is programmed and will only cut the profile if it is.
A palaver but way cheaper than getting one through Vauxhall.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts