Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of owners and prospective owners have expressed an interest in a Eniro spare wheel, fitting mud-flaps and using scissor jacks on the Eniro.
This and Peters other YouTube videos are definitely worth a watch.
The Spare wheel is a full size steel wheel and tyre.
All the wheels on the car are steel as he is a driving instructor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Considering getting a space save wheel and tyre. Can they take the weight of the eNiro? Is it same size/holes as other Niros?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Considering getting a space save wheel and tyre. Can they take the weight of the eNiro? Is it same size/holes as other Niros?
Not sure about the weight. Diameter of the spacesaver may be a problem. Wheel specs below, exactly the same as my ceed.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Since Kia refuse to recommend a suitable space saver wheel and I understand that a space saver wheel on the front may foul some fitments, I decided to go with a full size steel wheel like Peter Cary. The wheel will fit in the space in the boot if 10 screws are undone - see Peter Cary's excellent video.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since Kia refuse to recommend a suitable space saver wheel and I understand that a space saver wheel on the front may foul some fitments, I decided to go with a full size steel wheel like Peter Cary. The wheel will fit in the space in the boot if 10 screws are undone - see Peter Cary's excellent video.
I’m of the same thought as you, to have a full size spare and let the rescue service fit it. (Plenty of time to undo the screws whilst waiting for the rescue service to arrive.)
That gives you the ability to get it repaired or replaced at your leisure, rather than be forced to go where the rescue service takes you and have to buy an expensive repair or tyre.
Not sure about changing it myself by a busy roadside, I would do at home as I have a trolley jack.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I’m of the same thought as you, to have a full size spare and let the rescue service fit it. (Plenty of time to undo the screws whilst waiting for the rescue service to arrive.)
That gives you the ability to get it repaired or replaced at your leisure, rather than be forced to go where the rescue service takes you and have to buy an expensive repair or tyre.
Not sure about changing it myself by a busy roadside, I would do at home as I have a trolley jack.
In view of Kia's warning against using a scissor jack and the risk of it slipping and damaging the battery I feel it would probably be necessary to await the rescue services to change the wheel. However, as you say, there would be plenty of time to undo the 10 screws holding the spare in place while waiting and have the wheel ready for the RAC etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There's a video on youtube that shows where the jacking point is, typical seam, so you use a scissors jack with the slot to lock it in there from slipping... you can also buy the rubber pads with the slot.

Greg

·
Registered
270 Posts
There's a video on youtube that shows where the jacking point is, typical seam, so you use a scissors jack with the slot to lock it in there from slipping... you can also buy the rubber pads with the slot.

Greg
Thanks for this. Why then do Kia say that the e-Niro does not have any suitable jacking points and that it is unsuitable for a scissor jack? I think the slots you refer to are a legacy from other Niros which do not have such a heavy battery. I agree they look like scissor jacking points.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have not personally investigated, perhaps it is just concern for putting the jack in the wrong spot and damaging the battery, in light they no longer provide a spare. It does require a scissor jack with a slot that correctly locates the jack on this seam.

My electric Fiat had this. To use a floor jack, I found the rubber jacking pads with the slot in them on Amazon.

Will investigate soon, as I intend to buy the spare tire package that will fit in the rear well.

Greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts