Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can an owner enlighten me on what exactly is provided for the spare tyre in the 1st Edition?
I can see in the configurator the 1st Edition comes with Airstop ® tyres, a quick google says these are tyres with goo pre-applied inside the tyres.
A further difference between the series models spare mentions a tyre mobility kit whereas the 1st Edition does not, meaning no can of goo and no electric pump?
Which suggests the series models have regular tyres and a can of goo and an electric pump.

Finally, the configurator also allow for "removal of tyre mobility set", It does not quite say whether it increases or reduces the cost, just Additional costs may apply.
Why would one want to choose this? Unless this means the car will be fitted with Airstop Tyres instead.

Yes, I know what you are going to say, ask the dealer....

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,370 Posts
Nothing at all regards a pump or tyre sealant in my 1st.

I was going to Google what airstop tyres were, but you’ve saved me the trouble!

I had thought of getting a space saver, but realistically I probably wouldn’t want to lift up an 1800kg vehicle on a scissor jack anyway.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Airstop seems quite good, no need to slow down or take evasive actions.
So how does one even know they have a nail in the tyre if there are no symptoms?
I guess once discovered, the object should be removed and a permanent fix made, so we are back to the argument of goo vs no goo when one has to pay for new tyre because the tyre shop refuse to deal with tyres with goo.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,867 Posts
Airstop seems quite good, no need to slow down or take evasive actions.
So how does one even know they have a nail in the tyre if there are no symptoms?
I guess once discovered, the object should be removed and a permanent fix made, so we are back to the argument of goo vs no goo when one has to pay for new tyre because the tyre shop refuse to deal with tyres with goo.
That's very interesting, but a few questions come up:
How do you know if you have AirStop?
What happens when you need to replace a worn tyre?

·
Premium Member
8,370 Posts
That's very interesting, but a few questions come up:
How do you know if you have AirStop?
What happens when you need to replace a worn tyre?
The tyre wall has an AirStop logo on it.

I googled replacement tyres, and they were a lot less expensive than I’d thought they would be in 19” guise, and available from the usual online places.

The sealant isn’t a loose liquid inside the tyre, it’s more of a sticky viscous membrane, so it won’t end up over a tyre shop floor. Looks like it’s Bridgestone’s version of ‘Conti Seal, which as the name suggests is by Continental.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
The tyre wall has an AirStop logo on it.

I googled replacement tyres, and they were a lot less expensive than I’d thought they would be in 19” guise, and available from the usual online places.

The sealant isn’t a loose liquid inside the tyre, it’s more of a sticky viscous membrane, so it won’t end up over a tyre shop floor. Looks like it’s Bridgestone’s version of ‘Conti Seal, which as the name suggests is by Continental.
"AirStop" doesn't refer to a specific tyre, it seems to be just any self sealing tyre that VW fit to cars at the factory. For what it's worth, my GTE came with "AirStop" tyres, which are actually Continental EcoContact 6.

·
Premium Member
8,370 Posts
"AirStop" doesn't refer to a specific tyre, it seems to be just any self sealing tyre that VW fit to cars at the factory. For what it's worth, my GTE came with "AirStop" tyres, which are actually Continental EcoContact 6.
Yes, AirStop appears to be a VW brand, so in your case Continental ‘ContiSeal’ tyres just carry the VW AirStop branding when fitted as OEM at the factory.

I’d never heard of them until yesterday, but gives me some reassurance at having no spare, although every time I’ve been stranded it’s been after hitting a pothole and damaging the sidewall so these wouldn’t help in that event.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
I’d never heard of them until yesterday, but gives me some reassurance at having no spare, although every time I’ve been stranded it’s been after hitting a pothole and damaging the sidewall so these wouldn’t help in that event.
My dad (who does a lot of miles for his job and gets to see some pretty horrible roads) has had precisely zero success with ContiSeal - every puncture he has had with them has ended up in an AA call and using their universal spare to get to a garage. His feeling is basically spare wheel, run flats, or an AA membership. I've gone for a few cans of Tyreweld, some tyre plugs and the VW road side assistance (because it's free at the moment).

·
Registered
VW ID.3 1st Edition
102 Posts
I added a 12v air pump to my spare kit under the floor. I figure I might then be able to pump up the tyre enough to get to a tyre fitter. I had the same problem and solution with my Audi A3 so its not really ID.3 specific. They just do not want to supply spares or even jacks these days it seems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can an owner enlighten me on what exactly is provided for the spare tyre in the 1st Edition?
I can see in the configurator the 1st Edition comes with Airstop ® tyres, a quick google says these are tyres with goo pre-applied inside the tyres.
A further difference between the series models spare mentions a tyre mobility kit whereas the 1st Edition does not, meaning no can of goo and no electric pump?
Which suggests the series models have regular tyres and a can of goo and an electric pump.

Finally, the configurator also allow for "removal of tyre mobility set", It does not quite say whether it increases or reduces the cost, just Additional costs may apply.
Why would one want to choose this? Unless this means the car will be fitted with Airstop Tyres instead.

Yes, I know what you are going to say, ask the dealer....
Did you find out the answers?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Conti-seal are useless. I've had a 4mm screw leave me with a flat. So the up to 5mm claim is pushing it a bit.

I've also had thorns from a freshly cut country lane hedge pierce the sidewall where there is no conti-seal protection. That needed a new tyre.

I believe that the heavy car and narrow tyres just naturally make you more susceptible to punctures and I'm not sure there's much you can carry short of a spare wheel to protect yourself in the event you end up with a flat. The gunk won't work (it's super sticky on the inside) and if there's a hole then a pump won't be much use either.

A spare wheel and the tools to change it or the phone number for VW to come out and change it for you is the only practical route.

·
Premium Member
8,370 Posts
I suffered my first puncture in the ID.3 last Tuesday, so funny this thread should pop up again!

I was taking the little one to school and the car informed that my offside rear tyre pressure was low, although a quick visual inspection showed it was still up so I drove home again from the school.

Checking the tyre pressure, it was 17psi, and then found the head of a screw in the middle of the tyre tread. I pulled it out and the tyre immediately deflated, not my best idea in retrospect.

I checked with my local tyre place, they could get a replacement, but not until Saturday, and as the car has done over 15k miles now the rears are looking pretty worn anyway, so I’d really need two tyres, at £169 each…

I tried re-inflating the tyre with my workshop compressor, which was successful but the hole was too big to give the tyre chance to seal. So, out with the tyre plugging kit, and I inserted a vulcanised ‘worm’ and re-inflated. The insertion tool was covered in a tar like substance when I removed it, guess that’s the ‘AirStop’ membrane or whatever Bridgestone’s name for it is.

With the plug in place, the tyre inflated and stayed inflated, after 4 days and 400 miles it hasn’t lost a single psi.

The rears only have a few thousand miles life left, and the fronts are pretty scrubbed up and feeling sketchier by the day, so I’m going to go for 4 new tyres anyway.

I’m tempted to try the Bridgestone Weather Control A005, and then I’d probably be able to skip the winter tyre thing I usually do. Or, get some Michelin or Goodyear regular tyres on it, and use the snow socks again should the snow arrive.

I’ll have a think, but I’m beginning to think a space saver might be a good idea, the mousses/tyre liners aren’t that brilliant IMO, and had I been away from home it would have been flat bed time or space saver tyre loan from the AA or something.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I suffered my first puncture in the ID.3 last Tuesday, so funny this thread should pop up again!

I was taking the little one to school and the car informed that my offside rear tyre pressure was low, although a quick visual inspection showed it was still up so I drove home again from the school.

Checking the tyre pressure, it was 17psi, and then found the head of a screw in the middle of the tyre tread. I pulled it out and the tyre immediately deflated, not my best idea in retrospect.

I checked with my local tyre place, they could get a replacement, but not until Saturday, and as the car has done over 15k miles now the rears are looking pretty worn anyway, so I’d really need two tyres, at £169 each…

I tried re-inflating the tyre with my workshop compressor, which was successful but the hole was too big to give the tyre chance to seal. So, out with the tyre plugging kit, and I inserted a vulcanised ‘worm’ and re-inflated. The insertion tool was covered in a tar like substance when I removed it, guess that’s the ‘AirStop’ membrane or whatever Bridgestone’s name for it is.

With the plug in place, the tyre inflated and stayed inflated, after 4 days and 400 miles it hasn’t lost a single psi.

The rears only have a few thousand miles life left, and the fronts are pretty scrubbed up and feeling sketchier by the day, so I’m going to go for 4 new tyres anyway.

I’m tempted to try the Bridgestone Weather Control A005, and then I’d probably be able to skip the winter tyre thing I usually do. Or, get some Michelin or Goodyear regular tyres on it, and use the snow socks again should the snow arrive.

I’ll have a think, but I’m beginning to think a space saver might be a good idea, the mousses/tyre liners aren’t that brilliant IMO, and had I been away from home it would have been flat bed time or space saver tyre loan from the AA or something.
The tiguan spacesaver fits it with a 3mm spacer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts