Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone solved the problem of a spare wheel for the e-Niro? The car does not have ordinary jacking points so it would not be possible to change a wheel without a breakdown service's assistance, but I was hoping to at least carry a spare so that the breakdown service could change a wheel with a serious puncture.
I am told by my dealer's parts department that Kia do not recommend a space saver wheel - and it would only be possible to put it on the rear; and that a full size wheel would not fit in the boot!
I am tempted to get a full size wheel to at least keep in the garage so a problem could be sorted when tyre depots are closed.
Has anyone come up with a better solution?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I haven't taken the trays out of the boot yet but I thought that was a full sized wheel well? Could be wrong so may be worth checking.

I'm considering keeping an eye on the local breakers for a set of Sportage wheels I can stick winter tyres on and store in the garage. Again I'm assuming they are the same fitment

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't taken the trays out of the boot yet but I thought that was a full sized wheel well? Could be wrong so may be worth checking.
Thanks very much for your reply.
The width of the wheel well at the bottom appears to be about 1 inch short of a full size wheel. I don't know whether it would be possible to partially deflate the tyre?

·
Registered
38 Posts
The width of the wheel well at the bottom appears to be about 1 inch short of a full size wheel. I don't know whether it would be possible to partially deflate the tyre?
I got a space saver spare and jack kit. There are points for jacking, but they're close to the battery and if the jack slips it could cause expensive damage. I jacked the car up to try the space saver on. It was fine at home. Much care would be required on the side of the road.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Did you try fitting your space saver to the rear hub?

My space saver just fouls the brake caliper. It is fine on the front.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Just out of interest what size is the space saver?
I've been considering keeping any eye out for some 16" rims from the Sportage for winter tyres assuming they would fit

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Had this issue on an Audi, managed to cut a pattern from polystyrene sheet to raise the boot floor slightly so it sat flat. Not sure if it would be a solution on the Niro with the floor layout.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts

Bit of pain in the butt trying to swap two wheels on the roadside :( Sorted this on a BMW by getting a bigger steel wheel but then it's not a space saver of course. Wonder what's out there in the Kia world, can't imagine a Stinger's brakes are small but then again, they don't supply a space saver for it either I'm guessing.

Someone selling space saver alloys for Stinger on eBay for £200. Who knows about fitment though!

EDIT - Same manufacturer selling a Niro wheel too for £209

·
Registered
38 Posts

Yes, no problem. There's a huge amount of space with the space saver on. It'a an alloy wheel... dunno if that makes any difference. :unsure:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bit of pain in the butt trying to swap two wheels on the roadside :( Sorted this on a BMW by getting a bigger steel wheel but then it's not a space saver of course. Wonder what's out there in the Kia world, can't imagine a Stinger's brakes are small but then again, they don't supply a space saver for it either I'm guessing.

Someone selling space saver alloys for Stinger on eBay for £200. Who knows about fitment though!

EDIT - Same manufacturer selling a Niro wheel too for £209
One thing that might be worth considering is the load rating. I see the standard E Niro tyres are 94 load rating. These are very high load rated tyres. So fitting anything else (especially space savers) my not be acceptable. That battery is super heavy at 450kg. That’s over 5 times my body weight!

I too hate the idea of no spare. I can’t believe it’s even permissible by law to not carry a jack and a spare wheel. The world has gone mad!

Peter

·
Registered
89 Posts
Has anyone solved the problem of a spare wheel for the e-Niro? The car does not have ordinary jacking points so it would not be possible to change a wheel without a breakdown service's assistance, but I was hoping to at least carry a spare so that the breakdown service could change a wheel with a serious puncture.
I am told by my dealer's parts department that Kia do not recommend a space saver wheel - and it would only be possible to put it on the rear; and that a full size wheel would not fit in the boot!
I am tempted to get a full size wheel to at least keep in the garage so a problem could be sorted when tyre depots are closed.
Has anyone come up with a better solution?
Peter Cary a driving instructor has bought 5 full size steel wheels to replace the alloys for driving lessons and assures me a full size wheel and tyre will fit in the boot. Do a search on YouTube. (£78 for Each steel wheel)
He has done a few videos on the eniro.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
£78 for Each steel wheel
At that price, I may buy 4, put winters on them and I've got a solution to get mobile should I desperately need to. Now just need to figure out the safe way to jack the car. Haven't looked underneath yet for the suspension lifting points, anyone know how "inboard" and reachable they are?

·
Registered
30 Posts
This might help you:-

Niro Jacking Points

It is for the Hybrid version but close enough.
But is it Close enough? The reinforced sill jack points may not be present on the E version Niro. Also it’s an especially heavy car. I don’t think I would trust jacking it up there. I’m certain the Kia dealers will use some strong chassis points elsewhere under the car.

Peter

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
But is it Close enough? The reinforced sill jack points may not be present on the E version Niro. Also it’s an especially heavy car. I don’t think I would trust jacking it up there. I’m certain the Kia dealers will use some strong chassis points elsewhere under the car.

Peter
My point was, they have to be able to jack up an e-Niro somehow to get the wheels off so there must be inboard jacking points somewhere. Admittedly, they won’t be designed to be lifted with a scissor jack but a hydraulic jack underneath is no different to a hydraulic jack in a tyre dealership or a `Kia dealership (subject to clearance to get underneath).

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Peter Cary a driving instructor has bought 5 full size steel wheels to replace the alloys for driving lessons and assures me a full size wheel and tyre will fit in the boot.
Thanks very much for this video. Does anyone know how to contact Peter Cary to get details of the steel wheels he is using?

·
Registered
403 Posts
My point was, they have to be able to jack up an e-Niro somehow to get the wheels off so there must be inboard jacking points somewhere. Admittedly, they won’t be designed to be lifted with a scissor jack but a hydraulic jack underneath is no different to a hydraulic jack in a tyre dealership or a `Kia dealership (subject to clearance to get underneath).
If I'm understanding what's been said here and elsewhere on the subject.
The car has points designed to be used on a 2 post ramp. Which can in theory be used carefully with a suitably heavy trolley jack

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
View attachment 131893

Take out the polystyrene inserts but leave the floor base and a full size wheel will fit fine.
Thanks very much for the picture. Is that a full size alloy wheel? I was told by my Kia dealer after referring to Kia that the full size wheel would not fit. Does it mean a suitable full size steel wheel will fit?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts