Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
M3 LR+ AWD white/19" alloys/tow hook.
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe that having a puncture in a UK Tesla can result in a pretty lengthy wait for a mobile ranger so I'm considering a space saver for longer journeys.

This Road hero Kit looks as if it's designed for the Model 3 (several others seem to sell the same):

My Long Range has 19" sport wheels not 18" but their kit for the M3P also shows 18" wheels so I guess these would be fine in an emergency/50mph max & the actual rim size is not relevant?

Does anyone have advice or other recommendations please....

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,733 Posts
My Long Range has 19" sport wheels not 18" but their kit for the M3P also shows 18" wheels so I guess these would be fine in an emergency/50mph max & the actual rim size is not relevant?
It shouldn’t matter, but the TPMS and traction control system might complain because the wheels are slightly different diameters.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,612 Posts
I had the Road Hero one for my M3P but it was just too tight a fit for clearance on the P's brakes and I had to send it back. At the time the Road Hero and the seller's website had them as being correct for the M3P (just checked again and they still have it as suitable but another site says it is unsuitable). You should be okay with standard discs and calipers. It did seem to be quite a comprehensive piece of kit. You will still need the 'puck' to fit into the hole at the jacking points.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a emergency foam filler kit in the boot - should be good for 50+miles drive back..
I had considered one of these but a friend had a bad experience where the puncture was larger than the sealant could cope with. At least with a space saver I can slowly continue my journey until it gets repaired or replaced.

I'm not clear what the situation is with repair of the original tyre as I believe Tesla need to do this themselves & I recall seeing that they won't work with one where sealant has already been used. However I may be wrong so can a regular ATS/Kwik-Fit etc repair a Tesla puncture &/or replace a tyre?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,733 Posts
However I may be wrong so can a regular ATS/Kwik-Fit etc repair a Tesla puncture &/or replace a tyre?
You don't have to go to Tesla to get the tyre replaced or repaired. You can use anyone - indeed I sent a mobile fitter to Tesla to do mine because it was cheaper. Tesla service centre were fine with it.

Some places won't work with a tyre that's been sealed. Others are less lazy and will clean it off and do a repair. Probably depends on the substance used.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies, I think that covers everything I need to know so I'll order once lockdown restrictions are lifted enough to allow for longer journeys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm probably one of the few M3 drivers to have a full size spare in the boot. Am hoping that ensures I don't need it!
Bought winter tyres and wheels and keep a summer one spare in the winter, and winter one spare in the summer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The space saver will only be for longer journeys otherwise the extra weight may impact range more than I want. It's a decision based on the likelihood of it actually happening & the fact that with a lot more Model 3s around, Tesla rangers are likely to be busy just when I might need one.

If I get a puncture within our normal <35m from home then one of the family would probably come out with the spare if the wait from Tesla is going to be too long.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,733 Posts
Tesla rangers are likely to be busy just when I might need one.
Tesla rangers don’t normally respond to flat tyres. They’re for servicing work.

Tesla have a network of third party garages that have a set of spare wheels they can loan to customers.

I’ve only had it happen once, but they were pretty good. Although I got the puncture in the car park of our hotel, so it didn’t matter that the guy came in the morning.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's useful thanks, I mentioned rangers because in the USA we had a puncture & one came out to us quite quickly. (that was in 2017 though & I guess there weren't as many cars to keep them busy!)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,733 Posts
That's useful thanks, I mentioned rangers because in the USA we had a puncture & one came out to us quite quickly. (that was in 2017 though & I guess there weren't as many cars to keep them busy!)
Maybe that’s the plan for the future, but I don’t think they’re that prevalent right now.

Of course if you get a flat near a Service Centre, then who know?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts